Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Had one very close thunderstorm yesterday...that's about it. Has been raining quite a bit though! Are the storms for the Midlands still on for today? We shall see. I want one over me today please not in the near distance, i'm short sighted lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

last night rain started about 10pm then Thunder and Lighing just after that and i got woekn up with big crack of thunder 1.15 this morning all in all I am happy :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

and more on the way :D

well done stu , i'm glad to here that :)

Had a rumble of thunder here at around 2am , but didnt hear anything else during the night. Also got 14.8mm of rain in the rain gauge through the night

Hopefully we'll have more this afternoon/evening :drinks:

Edited by Calum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

post-13123-0-72710500-1304758810_thumb.jpost-13123-0-69333600-1304758792_thumb.jpost-13123-0-94549300-1304758779_thumb.jpost-13123-0-30706900-1304758763_thumb.j

post-13123-0-24588500-1304758754_thumb.j

Photos taken in brading, isle of wight from last night storms.

You did well to catch those.

Hey there Russ

Last night was brilliant I thought as well, im on the east side of the IOW and we went to culver downs first and then to Brading downs as well and saw some amazing Lightning with very loud Thunder. Did you see the Thunderstorm about 6am this morning? I thought was a little beauty with pink Lightning and again very loud thunder making it shake around here.

I have been on holiday all week with a self imposed ban on getting up before 8 o'clock, so I missed that one at 6am Stormyking <_< back to 6am next week :doh:

At first I thaught last nights storm was fizzling out as the rain approached. But then for once it reawoke as it neared our shores.

The rest of the day looks good too, mabey we will get a double helping for once.

Russ

Posted

i wouldnt take that as gospel, they said we were going to get storms last night, didnt see one!!

its a case of watching how things develop on the radars etc etc.

fromey

its funny how 7 miles can make a huge difference ..

lets hope we all get to see some more today :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing round here last night just a light shower.

The band of heavy rain and storms forecast for today looks like a none starter probably due to a lack of heating in front of latest batch.

Looks like I will have to top the pond up after all I'll decide on Sunday morning on that one.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

We had a rumble here at some point in the early hours because it woke me up, but i couldn't be bothered to check radar and went back to sleep

Now i have a bad head :wallbash:

Posted

Dark sky here with showers passing through, nice unstable look to it.

All I need now is some ground heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Oh so close, but the Plymouth Storm shield held yesterday.

Around 1615 it became very humid and some spots of rain fell.. and that was that!

Not holding my breath for today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

its funny how 7 miles can make a huge difference ..

lets hope we all get to see some more today :D

thats very true, they just went either side of me, i was watching the one @6pm develop and then take a right hook and end up over you!!

here hoping but im working in bath this afternoon so it will be just my luck that frome get some really good storms and i miss out again.

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

This thick stuff over the midlands seems to moving very slowly northwards. Doesnt bode well for surface heating. It also feels alot cooler outside.

Hmm guess we will see later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder

A few deep rumbles of thunder a few moments ago.

Still very warm and raining lightly.

:-)

Posted

Far more humid today, yesterday felt cool in comparison!. Great to have that little storm last night, although it wasn't really much at all..

I'm now going to say NAE is rubbish as it was during the snow spell

Nowcast :D :D

Posted

Nothing round here last night just a light shower.

The band of heavy rain and storms forecast for today looks like a none starter probably due to a lack of heating in front of latest batch.

Looks like I will have to top the pond up after all I'll decide on Sunday morning on that one.

Even if you miss the storms your area should see very heavy rain later tonight into tomorrow morning.

I still believe the areas that will miss out are Wales, W/SW England, Norfolk, Essex, Suffolk,Kent. The reason being is the models continue to suggest central areas will be hit the hardest. When this area of storms hits the S im thinking around the Hampshire, W Sussex, Surrey area before moving directly N.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Don't forget, for anyone catching a good picture or video of the action today, we have a dedicated thread for you to post them in here:

Posted

Far more humid today, yesterday felt cool in comparison!. Great to have that little storm last night, although it wasn't really much at all..

I'm now going to say NAE is rubbish as it was during the snow spell

Nowcast :D :D

No idea what you're on about there the NAE was incredibly accurate during the December cold spell.

Posted

Sun coming out here now, which, fingers crossed, will bode well for later :good:

Posted

Even if you miss the storms your area should see very heavy rain later tonight into tomorrow morning.

I still believe the areas that will miss out are Wales, W/SW England, Norfolk, Essex, Suffolk,Kent. The reason being is the models continue to suggest central areas will be hit the hardest. When this area of storms hits the S im thinking around the Hampshire, W Sussex, Surrey area before moving directly N.

Hi TEITS,

I'm in one of the areas you reckon may miss out, I think it depends on the initial track, if London gets hammered, I think there's a reasonable chance for this area,and between the Central areas you are talking of, Oxford to Surrey, it's only a 25 to 50 mile change, in forecasting terms, pretty small.

I will freely admit I don't want it to go 50 miles in the other direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

You did well to catch those.

I have been on holiday all week with a self imposed ban on getting up before 8 o'clock, so I missed that one at 6am Stormyking dry.gif back to 6am next week :doh:

At first I thaught last nights storm was fizzling out as the rain approached. But then for once it reawoke as it neared our shores.

The rest of the day looks good too, mabey we will get a double helping for once.

Russ

Ahh damn shame you missed the 6am one :/

Last night was probably best storms since 2006, not as good as July 26 2006 storms but was most lightning I have seen in a long time, was amazing how they jsut developed close to us as well with was nice too see.

Fingers crossed for later on today as well :)

Posted

cloud breaking now, should allow some heat to get through, hopefully sparking something off later. some of the best storms i have seen have come out of nowhere :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm not convinced tonight's event will be thundery. We shall see.

Posted

No idea what you're on about there the NAE was incredibly accurate during the December cold spell.

Not here it wasn't but then for every 10 people that don't rate a model one person will say it was accurate, bit like weather forecasts :pardon: :pardon:

Posted

Good, in depth forecasts from Brickfielder and others in the forecast thread for those wanting extra info on the storm risks today:

Posted

Hi TEITS,

I'm in one of the areas you reckon may miss out, I think it depends on the initial track, if London gets hammered, I think there's a reasonable chance for this area,and between the Central areas you are talking of, Oxford to Surrey, it's only a 25 to 50 mile change, in forecasting terms, pretty small.

I will freely admit I don't want it to go 50 miles in the other direction.

The problem at the moment is the disagreement in the models. The NAE predicts tonights event to be further W hitting Dorset, Wiltshire and then moving N. Now taking this disagreement into account means even my location could miss out with the action further W. Im currently awaiting the 06Z GFS to come out.

I'm not convinced tonight's event will be thundery. We shall see.

Based on my experience of these situations the thundery activity is at its greatest when it first hits the S coast. This activity weakens as it travels N and just becomes a band of heavy/torrential rain with the odd clap of thunder.

06Z GFS continues to have the main area further E and like I said this looks to hit the Hampshire area first.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs183.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs213.gif