Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Posted

Please continue the convective storm discussion here

animated-lightning2%5BPunjabiTop.Com%5D_2.gif

Nothing in the coastal areas of Sussex all day except strong winds. Ah well, the charts didn't really point to us getting it, but I am getting storm starved!!! :crazy:

Posted

Just heard a couple of very distant rumbles of thunder here - still trying to work out from which direction it's coming from.

Posted

Got some nice pics of the front of that cell from Cambridge way.Few rumbles but no lightning. Rain was coming down in buckets!

Edited by lewisosd

Posted

Well I have to say given the promising forecasts earlier, things down here on this part of the south coast ( Hastings ) have been a huge dissapointment.. Im not one of those people who expect a storm right on my doorstep, so I drove a fair bit today, and all I saw was........erm....a few clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

At about 8am this moring there was a thundery shower that passed to the south of us, didnt hit us but could hear the thunder even though i was half asleep could still hear it easily :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

yeah I heard that too, been missing out all day by a mile or two as the cells have passed to my north :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That's my 2nd storm today, just passed through with 1 CG and heavy rain. Still pouring with what looks like more to come :D

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Thunderstorm seems to be moving up the estuary!, looks very good from here and also another well built anvil to my south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

had a very very long rumble of thunder this morning. and there was to more rumbles of thunder at about half 4 this afternoon. its like a tap that keeps turning on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

cracking short sharp downpour and three close C to G strikes nr Chislehurst, Kent this afternoon.. impressive cloud structures and a serious gust front too... shame no camera handy

Posted

Areas Affected:

Southern Scotland, Northern Ireland, North and Eastern England

Discussion:

Cold air aloft, 500mb temperatures of around -22C, will allow for unstable air and the potential for a few thunderstorms. An old occluded frontal boundary will help to provide moisture and and a little extra lift to help generate showers during the morning, some of which may become thundery. A small amount of CAPE (values of 200-300j/kg) and very little wind shear should mean these storms will likely only produce a small amount of thunder and perhaps some small (less than 1cm) hail.

http://www.ukasf.co....mode=view&id=13

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Any thoughts regarding Monday? Looks like some potential for the Midlands with some Cape, Good DLS etc however looking at the precip charts it seems more like a frontal band of rain rather than showers hence me thinking more that thundery weather is perhaps unlikely as to me embedded Thunderstorms in frontal precip rarely seems to occur.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

saturday - one intense downpour from the London storm around 1-2pm then some incredible anvils and bubbles through the day with one especially amazing towards the northwest horizon around 4-5pm anvil on that was just one of the best ive seen!!:drinks:

Posted

The 0600z chart probably answers your question. Currently here we have 8/8 Ac, As with some Sc and small Cu below. The Camborne Midnight is very stable as expected.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The rain SW of Cornwall appears to be falling along upper warm front shown on 0600hrs fax this morning:

http://www.netweather.tv/fax/PPVA89.png

... this is part of the frontal system ahead of next low pressure system queuing up to the SW of Ireland - which will spread rain north and east across England and Wales tomorrow.

On to today, might see a few storms across S and E Scotland, NE England and perhaps as far south as E Anglia today, see the storm forecast for today: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=d74bf3d682b8427b5208094566c2e79e

Posted

Any thoughts regarding Monday? Looks like some potential for the Midlands with some Cape, Good DLS etc however looking at the precip charts it seems more like a frontal band of rain rather than showers hence me thinking more that thundery weather is perhaps unlikely as to me embedded Thunderstorms in frontal precip rarely seems to occur.

Maybe later in the week?

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

Mind you, the way this year is going, we may get a brief shower and nought else! :doh:

On to today, might see a few storms across S and E Scotland, NE England and perhaps as far south as E Anglia today

ESTOFEX showing a similar area in their update:

post-6667-0-56197000-1308475221.png

post-6667-0-56197000-1308475221_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Raining heavily in Shotton some rather large drops too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Bloody rain :wallbash:, we weren't even under drought conditions in this part of kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NMM keen on a small area of thundery potential for the Midlands and perhaps Wales tomorrow with very decent Deep Layer Shear too. GFS also shows some instability. Been quite quiet around here recently so any interest would be good however i feel tomorrow will not produce anything more than a band of rain.

Edited by Blizzards