Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June weather statistics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hi guys,

We all know that June has been a poor Summer month, but just how bad has it been in your area?

For my area, although we have had a lot of rain and below average temperatures. I really would like to say that the sun has made an appearance almost EVERY day.

Therefore by the end of the month I expect sunshine levels for my area to either be average, or slightly above.

Are you guys the same?

Posted

Hi guys,

We all know that June has been a poor Summer month, but just how bad has it been in your area?

For my area, although we have had a lot of rain and below average temperatures. I really would like to say that the sun has made an appearance almost EVERY day.

Therefore by the end of the month I expect sunshine levels for my area to either be average, or slightly above.

Are you guys the same?

I can vouch for this. The regular appearance of the sun has helped make up for the lack of high temperatures. I can only think of two days this month which have been dire: the washout Sunday on the 12th and the perennial July 2010-style dullness of the 15th (when there was a lunar eclipse, naturally :rolleyes: ).

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A pretty average june all around regards sun rain and temps overall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

According to Philip Eden, sunshine across England and Wales as a whole is still slightly above average despite frequent cool wet conditions:

http://climate-uk.com/

Posted

Had 115 hours of sunshine here so far, June hasn't been a poor month, its been distinctly average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Good website there TWS.

Am I reading right that NW England is 0.3C below average, with 107% of the monthly sunshine already achieved?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Good website there TWS.

Am I reading right that NW England is 0.3C below average, with 107% of the monthly sunshine already achieved?

Expect sunshine levels around here are about 10% below average at least - most mornings have been very cloudy and the sun has tended to come out later in the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Western Scotland is down as 95% of the normal and Cumbria is often more similar to SW Scotland than Lancashire, so it's quite plausible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A fairly average June here so far. 127 hours of sunshine and no completely sunless days. 62 mm rainfall but half of that fell on one day. No really warm weather but no cold weather either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A fairly average June here so far. 127 hours of sunshine and no completely sunless days. 62 mm rainfall but half of that fell on one day. No really warm weather but no cold weather either.

127 hours here too only 80.5mm of rain, half of which fell across 2 days haha. So June has been wetter than average already though I think the most considerable feature has been the wind which has made it feel a lot more autumnal than it would otherwise have felt.

Posted

Although this is proving to be a relatively sunny June compared with the 1971-2000 average, I think if we were comparing with a longer-term average, or an earlier reference period, it would probably come out as quite a cloudy month.

The Junes of the 1980s produced the dullest "June decade" on record over England and Wales, and may well have done over Scotland and Ireland also. The 1990s, in spite of a recovery between 1992 and 1996, also ranked among the dullest decades, and June 2000 was also a cloudy month for most. The Junes of the 1970s were about average sunshine wise, but the 1971-2000 period chops off the sunny June of 1970.

Thus, I think it's safe to say that the Junes during the 1971-2000 period were anomalously cloudy.

Posted

It's certainly not been anywhere near as dull as May was here, sunshine levels may end up above average after Sunday here.

However there's not been any 'cloudless' days here since 1st May still.

Posted

30 days of sunshine between 5-8 am and 7-9 pm would give 150 hours (120 for 24 days, which tallies with most of the totals I've seen on here); which as a raw figure is better than many Junes have managed, but like all those "warm due to high minima" summer months it masks the true story.

I am getting seriously fed up of being woken by bright sunshine at 5 in the morning, only to have it cloud over by at the latest 10 (8-9 usually). Part of me has actually enjoyed the days I've been working and hence getting up at 7, because they've been practically the only times I've seen any blue sky this month or most of last. Apart from Friday 3rd June there hasn't been one day that has been predominantly warm and sunny since the beginning of May- Saturday the 4th tried as did Monday this week, but they were both spoilt by unexpected rain arriving in the early evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A very average month in my opinion. The sun has made an appearance every day except one or two (Sunday 12th). Apart from the start or this weekend coming, the temperatures have never been superb but the strong sunshine more than makes up for it. Cant complain at this month at all really. All it missed really was a bit more heat and thunderstorms as the East has hogged them all lately! :lol:

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

I've recorded 139.9 hours up to yesterday about 98% of average for the first 25 days. Looks like the 8th consecutive June to have average or below average sunshine here.

Weekday average per day has been a decent 6.3 hours but weekend average a dismal 3.7 hours hence why this month has seemed so awful.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

Pretty average so far, shame this heatwave isn't going to last longer other it would bump the averages up!

Castlebay Isle of Barra June 2011

Highest Temperature 18.4°C

Lowest Temperature 6.4°C

Average Temperature 12.2°C

Total Rainfall 70.1mm

Highest Humidity 98%

Lowest Humidity 58%

Average Humidity 81.8%

Highest Average Wind Speed 43.6mph

Average Wind Speed 16.3mph

Highest Gust 50.9mph

Highest Pressure 1034.8mb

Lowest Pressure 992.8mb

Lowest Wind Chill 2°C

Highest Dew Point 13.6°C

Lowest Dew Point 3.0°C

Average Dew Point 12.2°C

Posted

Temperatures in C and long term average in brackets

Another month with above average temperatures, especially so with max values, including the 2nd highest ever temperature in 15 years here, 32.9C on 27th

Mean max=21.4C(19.2) absolute max=32.9 on 27th, lowest max=16.3 on 10th

Mean Min=10.4(9.5) absolute min=5.3 on 12th and highest=17.2 on 27th

Mean=15.9(14.4)

Days with any rain=20 with 18 on 0.2mm or more and 10 with 1.0mm or more; wettest day=12th with 9.0mm

No snow, frost, fog but 2 days with thunder.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

June 2011 Climatic Records

Latitude 53*N Longitude 1.5*W Elevation 338m/1110ft AMSL

Valid 1st- 30th June, 2011

All temperatures combined from either of my two weather stations.

Precip indicated as "My PWS" recorded at my house; otherwise from a neaby local station.

Mean Maximum: 16.7°C / 62.1°F

Mean Minimum: 8.4°C / 47.1°F

Mean Temperature: 12.5°C / 54.5°F

Highest Temperature: 26.6°C / 80°F (27th)

Lowest Temperature: 2.7°C / 37°F (12th)

Lowest Maximum: 12.4°C / 54.3°F (23rd)

Highest Minimum: 14.8°C / 58.6°F (27th)

---------------------

Precipitation: 70mm / 2.75"

My House/PWS: 76mm / 2.99"

Days with rain >1mm: 10

Days with rain/drizzle: 22

Most in one day: 20mm / 0.79" (12th)

My PWS: 16.8mm / 0.66" (12th)

Max Rainfall Rate: 68.6mm/hr, 2.7"/hr @ 11:46AM , 8th

---------------------

Mean Pressure: 1014.8mb

Max Pressure: 1036mb (2nd)

Min Pressure: 997mb (18th)

Average Maximum Wind Gust: 29.8mph

Maximum Wind Gust: 46mph (19th)

---------------------

Sunshine hours: 175.2

Most in one day: 15.92 (3rd)

Average per day: 5.84 hours

Sunless days: 1

---------------------

Days with:

Thunder: 1 (8th)

Hail: 1 (8th)

Snow: 0

Fog: 0

Air Frost: 0

Year So Far:

Avg Max Temp: 11.1°C / 52°F

Avg Low Temp: 4.4°C / 39.9°F

Mean Temp: 7.7°C / 45.9°F

High Temp: 26.6°C / 80°F (27/06)

Low Temp: -5.3°C / 22.5°F (29/01)

Precipitation: 449mm / 17.7"

Sunshine (hrs): 697.1hr

Mean Press: 1016.6mb

Rain/Drizzle Days: 107

Snow/sleet Days: 4

Hail/Ice Pellet Days: 7

Thunder Days: 2

A pretty uneventful month up here. Apart from 2-3 warm days it was mostly cool and unsettled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Temperatures in C and long term average in brackets

Another month with above average temperatures, especially so with max values, including the 2nd highest ever temperature in 15 years here, 32.9C on 27th

Mean max=21.4C(19.2) absolute max=32.9 on 27th, lowest max=16.3 on 10th

Mean Min=10.4(9.5) absolute min=5.3 on 12th and highest=17.2 on 27th

Mean=15.9(14.4)

Days with any rain=20 with 18 on 0.2mm or more and 10 with 1.0mm or more; wettest day=12th with 9.0mm

No snow, frost, fog but 2 days with thunder.

That is quite a surprising mean max John.

After checking the stats for Kenley (my nearest station) we were well below that:

Av 13.9Mean Max 18.7Mean Low 9.8

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

Stats for Cleadon, Tyne and Wear, relative to estimated 1971-2000 averages:

Mean Max 17.8C (+1.1)

Mean Min 10.2C (+0.4)

Mean Temp 14.0C (+0.7)

Highest max 26.4C (26th)

Lowest max 12.3C (4th)

Highest min 16.5C (27th)

Lowest min 4.6C (10th)

Total precipitation 38mm (69%)

Numerous days had 6mm of precipitation- 7th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 20th.

Days of sleet/snow, snow lying, gales: 0

Days of thunder: 3

Days of hail: 1

It seemed like quite a cool month but in reality temperatures were merely close to average until the 24th, with some cool nights on the 5th-14th offset by warm nights on the 15th-23rd and during the first few days, and daytime maxima consistently near-average. A notable hot interlude on the 25th-27th raised the mean above the long-term average. The mean temperature was similar to that of Junes 2008 and 2009, but rather lower than June 2010 which had a mean of 14.7C.

Thunder occurred on 3 days, one apiece to the SE on the 7th and 26th, and a couple of storms on the 27th although the big one mid to late afternoon was blotted out by low cloud from the North Sea. The maximum of 26.4C on the 26th was the highest since 2006, and the highest in June since 2005.

Despite the month's unsettled character rainfall was a little below average, though almost as much rain fell this month as fell during the entire spring quarter of 2011.

Posted

just double checked and that is how it shows, 14 days below 21.4C max; data available on my web site

front page-statistics-either Davis or for full corrected temps max and min go to excel

the costa del donny effect perhaps?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

just double checked and that is how it shows, 14 days below 21.4C max; data available on my web site

front page-statistics-either Davis or for full corrected temps max and min go to excel

I was not doubting the figure, just goes to show it is not always grim further north! laugh.gif

Posted

Mean Max 19.8c (-0.4c)

Mean Min 10.4c (-0.0c)

Mean 15.1c (-0.2)

Highest maximum 29.2c on the 27th

Highest minimum 19.2c on the 27th

Lowest minimum 5.0c on the 10th

Lowest maximum 14.2c on the 12th

You would need to adjust your average monthly figures in that case. It does seem your anomaly is well above everywhere else.