Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Crop Circles

Posted

The UK is the captital of the world when it comes to crop circles which officially media speaking that I remember seeing in 1990 and they have gotten more and more complex as the years have gone by.

Then there were the 2 hoaxers the 2 old blokes that say thay did all of them well they look very untidy what I`ve seen to the genuine ones,that would take forever by humans,and they are simply too complex to begin with.

Humans make mistakes as always.

They actually started in 1981 and there`s been crop circles in ancient times aswell not just on crops put on pottery.

I`ve always believed that most were done by extra entities/small spheres/UFO`s until this year and I still believe the same thing as about 20-23% are hoaxes or man-made the rest ain`t,and it`s the best visible evidence that UFO`s are real,could be made by any invisible entity or spirits we can`t see them.

Some clever folk can even catch them on video.

Have you seen any crop circles of even better been inside one when mobile phones etc switch off due to electro magnetic disturbances.

Crop circles have always fascinated me.

http://www.cropcirclesecrets.org/

Posted

Does anyone really beleive they have a supernatural or ex-terrestial origin?

It's blindingly obvious they are being done by dedicated groups.

It's nothing short of vandalism to crops which gets worse every year as they try to out-do each other with ever more complicated designs.

I can just about believe a simple circle can be caused by as yet not understood weather/electrical processes.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I do agree with 4WD, There has been thousands of crop circles over the years, and have got more complicated and exotic with time. Which makes them more questionable, and with so many accuring there has never been a sighting of a UFO landing. I think the problem here is that some people want to believe there's something out there (as much as i do) but there is no evidence whatsoever, only word of mouth or internet forums it just does'nt stand. People have admitted to makeing them in the past, and have even shown us how they do it and very clever to, i have to say it's just a form of "Modern Art" at the farmers expence. I have heard of some farmers charging a fee to allow the sceptics to take a closer look, so at least they are cashing in from it to compensate the damaged crop's.

Posted

UFO'S??? Oh please, someone is doing it obviously and they aren't of an ex-terrestial nature.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Yet another load of bonkersness. If extra terrestrials exist and they do visit earth would they really waste their time making patterns in fields of corn and wheat. If they have the technology to come here then they really are underselling themselves.

Nope this is yet more desperate ravings of people with too much free time on their hands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Bored students who've got sod all to do in their summer holidays, is my guess...

As was said above: why bother navigating the vast expanse of space just to make silly shapes in corn fields? :wallbash:

Posted

actually its a well known fact, they were made by the mysterons... or the daleks... or the smurfs...

Posted

Bored students who've got sod all to do in their summer holidays, is my guess...

As was said above: why bother navigating the vast expanse of space just to make silly shapes in corn fields? :wallbash:

You call those silly shapes,well try making some like those yourself.

Posted

I thought the speculation about crop circles had gone away after the Professor of maths at Bristol university admitted in public that it was his students that started the craze in the early 80s around Somerset and Wiltshire and were making more complex ones year on year.

I cant believe people believe that there are some force making these things. And before people get up in arms at me, I am not a skeptical person there are some things i believe are possible but some of the ideas around crop circles are as ridiculous as some of the claims made by the church!

Posted

I have an open mind and wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if some were made by some supernatural of extra terrestrial force.

It nice not to be a slave to mass thougt processes :-D

Posted

I have an open mind and wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if some were made by some supernatural of extra terrestrial force.

Or gullible to marketing opportunities!

Posted

but if you are too open minded, your brains will fall out....

Posted

but if you are too open minded, your brains will fall out....

I think you'll find that's open craniumed :D

Posted

I think you'll find that's open craniumed :D

then you know the difference between a bored student and an alien (i'm giving credit to your intelligence because not everyone does know the difference :D) but aliens? really?

if it is aliens then i'm impressed. it means they have a sense of humour. if i visited an alien planet and wanted to wind them up for a laugh, i would do something similar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Crop circles are a result of geometric art - there have been countless people owning up to it! Crop circles are very human in nature - that's because they are man made. Some are impressive for sure, but it damages crops, so I do wish these people would stop it. There is a time and place for demonstrating art, however damaging a field of valuable crops isn't it.

Posted

You call those silly shapes,well try making some like those yourself.

I'm not into wanton vandalism, especially where food crops are involved...That said, it ani't too difficult using simple mathematical formulae, sticks, string, feet and beer, to concoct some quite ingenious-looking designs. Ever play with a Spirograph?

Posted

Its a bit of a 2-way split between the farmers and makers. Obviously the makers aren't going to own up that a certain design is of their making as that then makes them libel for trespass & damage prosecution. However these circles attract enormous amounts of revenue per year for the SW and so some farmers exploit this and 'pay-off' certain groups to create the circles, or have the ones already created without their knowledge in a bid to attract tourists.

Its much like the Isle of Man faerie bridge, or other myths & legends that have tourists flocking to certain places. Mainly started by local folklore but the traditions still carry on to this day as a boost for revenue, its not doing any harm except to the one or two disgruntled farmers that you always get (but hey you always get the one or two who complain about noise pollution who live opposite a pub.)

Posted

Its a bit of a 2-way split between the farmers and makers. Obviously the makers aren't going to own up that a certain design is of their making as that then makes them libel for trespass & damage prosecution. However these circles attract enormous amounts of revenue per year for the SW and so some farmers exploit this and 'pay-off' certain groups to create the circles, or have the ones already created without their knowledge in a bid to attract tourists.

Its much like the Isle of Man faerie bridge, or other myths & legends that have tourists flocking to certain places. Mainly started by local folklore but the traditions still carry on to this day as a boost for revenue, its not doing any harm except to the one or two disgruntled farmers that you always get (but hey you always get the one or two who complain about noise pollution who live opposite a pub.)

That's all very well but the fields repeatedly targetted don't belong to someone supposedly benefitting from B&B or selling ice creams.

They always go for sites with high ground nearby so the design can be seen.

The damage from these trampled areas is significant as the entire area will be contaminated with grain which has spent a prolonged period pressed near the ground.

This means it will no longer be suitable for human consumption and may be rejected altogether.

Land is expensive to buy or rent and establishing and harvesting crops is a seriously expensive business without people wandering in and spoiling large areas because it's a laugh and they think it's jolly clever they can knock up a design on their computer.

I'd like to see someone caught with infra-red video and prosecuted.

Posted

Crop circles are pretty. But vandalism isn't funny. Or mature... it's quite cool though.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Plasma Vortex theory is interesting, postulated by Terence Meaden a meteorologist in the 1980s.

Interesting articles appeared in The Journal of Meteorology that I used to subscribe too back then.

They have seemed too numerous to have all been hoaxes surely? How could people be responsible for the thousands that occur each Summer, and why would this still prove a novelty to bored Students or whoever after 30 years of pranks?

His theory also relates to Ball Lightning:

http://www.torro.org...eninterview.php

My link

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

and why would this still prove a novelty to bored Students or whoever after 30 years of pranks?

Because university students need to let off steam after the stress of exams and have a lot of free time in the summer.

Pranks are a sort of competition to go one step further than the last and students always think theirs are original and the funniest.

Of course it helps enormously that some people still think crop circles are caused by plasma vortices or ball lightning.

And if the gullibles fall for it and the local and national media still give it publicity, then crop circles it is.

ffO.

Posted

Plasma Vortex theory is interesting, postulated by Terence Meaden a meteorologist in the 1980s.

Interesting articles appeared in The Journal of Meteorology that I used to subscribe too back then.

They have seemed too numerous to have all been hoaxes surely? How could people be responsible for the thousands that occur each Summer, and why would this still prove a novelty to bored Students or whoever after 30 years of pranks?

His theory also relates to Ball Lightning:

http://www.torro.org...eninterview.php

My link

Aye. I remember that theory: along with rotating wind currents, it could explain many of the crop circles that are made without human assistance...

Posted

As Catgirl says crop circles are very pretty.

Having a look at this excellent crop circle site.

A quote.

"Saying the sceptics and the media allies have controlled the output of information;even the editors of wikipedia control the skeptical spin of the crop circles page.

If you don`t believe me try to add real evidence.

Your edits will be removed in minutes,as mine have been removed on every occasion(not literally mine of course)

It actually amuses me to know there are real people sitting,waiting 24 hours per day to pounce on anyone who has some truth to write on that website"

http://www.cropcirclesecrets.org/crop_circles_history09.html

Posted

Having a look at this excellent crop circle site.

Ah yes, that site. I had reason to be researching crop circles the other night, and came across this quote from th same website, at http://www.cropcirclesecrets.org/crop_circles_early.html:

One very crucial piece of evidence from the 1970 s posed an interesting dilemma for researchers and scientists trying to pin the blame on pranksters armed with rope and pieces of wood. In those days the fields did not have the hallmark tractor ruts (tram lines) that today cross the fields in parallel lines every 60 feet or so. This is very important in establishing the cause of crop circles, by virtue that a person trying to lay a perfect design upon the wheat would have had to do so by levitating. It could be argued that a balloon was used, although nobody has satisfactorily explained how a balloon could be maintained perfectly still four feet off the ground, around a wooden peg which, presumably, would enable a person to lean out of the basket while he moved the wheat in a perfect spiral, without damaging the plants and leaving no hole in the middle. And all this in the middle of the night. The debate raged on and all kinds of agencies were given credit for these mysterious circles- wind vortexes, little green men, poor soil conditions, sex-mad hedgehogs and, most popular of all, the plasma vortex theory.

I emailed Mr Silva to point out that, although there might not have been tractor ruts/tramlines, the crop was often spaced apart enough to allow people to walk through the fields anyway. And I had practical experience of this, as, when I was a teenager, I had been employed for several weeks to remove wild oats from a crop of something or other. Four of us worked the field, side by side, slowly working our way up and down the field, pulling out wild oats, and putting them in a bag slung over our shoulders. Hence there was enough room to work the rows even when carrying bags - because only treading on the stalks would damage the crop, not simply brushing them aside. Mr Silva denied my experience (and I'm sure our little team wasn't a unique band of wild-oat pickers the likes of which had never been seen before). You didn't even have to walk carefully - in the end, walking through the crop became second nature.

Mr Silva replied to me, saying that that couldn't be true, as he'd talked to the NFU, and apparently the "the drill would leave one or two seed rows empty by error, leaving gaps five inches or so." Now, the point of a seed drill *is* to leave gaps of five inches or so (or more) - look at any drill. Apparently in the 1970s it was "intermittent and rare but sometimes it happened." Well, the field I worked had about, at a guess, a six-eight inch row spacing *throughout the entire field*. "There were a few farmers who would also leave the odd narrow path for the purpose which you have obviously explained." No, there was no path, there was just the seed drill spacing. He then added: "However, none of the fields bearing genuine crop circles had any of the above, thus my explanation, albeit simplified for the web, remains correct." So, in the 1970s, only the fields *not* having any obvious means of access (and I cannot deny that some crops are broadcast or sowed in narrow rows) were the only ones to have "genuine" crop cirles. How neat. How obviously circular in argument. :)

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve_De4

Posted

Agree entirely, still do the same thing today here growing barley on a small scale.

As in many 'fields' those who like to consider themselves experts are pushing a private agenda.

Maybe the crop artists could inscribe their designs on cars parked in the street instead.

This would be OK, because it's clever to do it really precisely with no one seeing you.

And it would be quite pretty to look at when driving past.

The cost of the damage would probably be less.