Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6 July 2011 - Storm/Convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted

Can see some big CB's to the west of Newcastle at the moment, ive got a live webcam running in Cramlington www.livestream.com/ecmlcam its pointing at the railway but gives u look at whats happening there weather wise

Edited by topsweep1506

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hello TWS,

Where do you get to access these then? sounds interesting as who knows if I go back far enough I may be able to add to my count of Thunder days. Which sadly, from memory stands at 3 this year!

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/

This has lightning maps for the UK going back to January 2001.

Currently having a torrential storm of rain and half-melted hail at Cleadon from a TCu that intensified into Cb as it approached, though no thunder yet.

I lie- just heard thunder now!

Posted

Blackening rapidly to my west with big cb's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Currently having a torrential storm of rain and half-melted hail at Cleadon from a TCu that intensified into Cb as it approached, though no thunder yet.

I lie- just heard thunder now!

Ok, stop rubbing it in.

I will check that link out.

Before I get hassle from the mods, I concur that here in Newbury it's breezy with nearby lightish showers. Currently 19.1c so near average, 11.7c DP and a steady barometer.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

I think today's showers might be downplayed by whats coming out West, I can't ever recall seeing that amount of consistent rainfall moving inland, which GFS is forecasting will only get heavier throughout the afternoon. Crikes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Just checked out my rain gauge and it is giving a rain/hail intensity of 30mm/hr, 4mm in 8 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just had a terrific rain/hail storm, followed by a very close lightning strike - the thunder was instant, but it only lasted 1-2 seconds like a gun shot. I think my house may have been struck, the TV, clock radio and PS3 are acting strangely now (No sound on TV, clock radio keeps resetting, PS3 can't find wireless network).

Also the garage flooded, so not having a fun time here right now :/

Just checked out my rain gauge and it is giving a rain/hail intensity of 30mm/hr, 4mm in 8 minutes.

It was terrible - I got 21mm in just 20 minutes.

Edited by alza

Posted

I think today's showers might be downplayed by whats coming out West, I can't ever recall seeing that amount of consistent rainfall moving inland, which GFS is forecasting will only get heavier throughout the afternoon. Crikes.

Are you on a bout that band of rain that's meant to being the wind tonight?

Posted

I havent had that sort of rainfall for 15 months now. Just shows how little theres been recently. Looking to my west though I feel that is about to change. Very impressive looking rain shaft (bright white to one side and jet black to the north west)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The Met Office lightning maps for June show that there were no overhead strikes over Cleadon which is probably why I only saw the one flash on the 27th June.

Hi TWS.

Just discovered their reports are 6 months behind reality (present date).

Oh well, nevermind! :wallbash:

Thanks

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Warnings Thursday -

-

Northern Ireland for thursday.

Posted

I saw that on the NW radar, I wonder if it'll spark up a bit and provide some of the desperate folk (me included) with a much needed lightning bolt or two?

Certainly looks interesting whatever occurs.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Hi SJ,

Do you mean the one coming tonight? Do you have a link?

Cheers

Inbound on the MetO radar. Overlaying the Surface Pressure plot for midnight tonight, it places the Occl fronts slap-bang over the middle of the UK and them not moving anywhere fast, if anything this Low just keeps 'topping around' the UK for the next 3 days with the same moisture content that's currently the source of this rainfall moving in.

I hope someone picks up on this soon.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Posted

I can see quite a lot of lightning to my north now - that's the 6th thunderstorm for 2011 :D

storm passing through Cramlington now live www.livestream.com/ecmlcam with thunderstorm

Give it a few more minutes and you'll not see the railway if they get what I've just had!

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

an hour ago...

1145.gifplenty of time to get some big convection setting off!!

look at the clump of rain heading into the SW and Wales, and the downpours over Scotland-note the purple areas of embedded intensity there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I can see quite a lot of lightning to my north now - that's the 6th thunderstorm for 2011 :D

:( How lucky are you? Enjoy while you can though.:) Not much happening here at the moment maybe in a few hours I hope!:rolleyes:

Posted

Today was another example of a shower turning into a thunderstorm as it moved over Newcastle! After resetting all my electronics they seem to be working fine, I believe it was my next door neighbours' house which got struck, apparently their boiler has broken completely.

2nd storm appears to be brewing to my south now, lets hope I can enjoy this one without any problems!

Edited by alza

Posted

Just ha a torrential hail storm and some preety gusty winds! I just heard smashin whilst I was on the loo! and well let's say I couldn't miss it..Followed by very heavy rain can't see the road markings!.

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

Cramlington cam just went offline as the storm struck!

Posted

Yeah its definatly worth it! Some really good and close lightening stiles there and some very intense winds!

Can you put your location in your profile so we can see where you are please?!! :good:

Posted

trying to get it back online chaps

OK! For some reason I didn't realise it was your webcam, I thought it belonged to the East Coast Mainline! My bad.