Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

6 July 2011 - Storm/Convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Here's hoping for a little something today! :rolleyes:It's starting to warm up here after an early shower of rain so I'm hoping this will help at least initiate a rumble of thunder or two. I think asking for a proper storm is a bit to much for Cheltenham to cope with at the moment.:lol:

Looking forward to your pics and videos.:)

Posted

hmmm! theres what looks like some showers coming up on a track through portsmouth,tun wells up to maidstone/chatham area! not sure about the intensity of those though! and cape values bit naff here lol!

woah!!! absolutely hammering it down here! no thunder yet!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There's a rash of showers in Northern England at the moment, but I suspect that some will turn thundery as they head into NE England. They almost always do in this setup. Fingers crossed I'll be hit by one!

Posted

As expected, some of those showers are turning into thunderstorms as the cross over to the east of the Pennines. They'll reach Tyneside at around 14:00, hopefully that'll be an ideal time for development! Tomorrow, Friday and Saturday also look good for thunder in NE England, there could be quite a run of thundery days for some!

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Wierd weather down here today, blazing sunshine one minute then heavy showers - seems like Mother Nature just can't make up her mind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Personally I feel the NE will get the storms over the next few days. They've done pretty well this year so far! I hope that some of us storm starved that are left and still pining do get to eventually see something, at least , by the end of the year.:unsure:

Good luck all.:good:

Posted

Finally some sunshine! Still fairly cloudy, 16°C.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Personally I feel the NE will get the storms over the next few days. They've done pretty well this year so far! I hope that some of us storm starved that are left and still pining do get to eventually see something, at least , by the end of the year.:unsure:

Good luck all.:good:

Most not all Jane.. Ive only seen one flash of lightning (not a bolt) this year and that was out of the corner of my eye, but on the other hand Ive heard many rumbles from near-by storms and cloud structures have been magnificent.. Today and the remainder of the week does look very promising especially for those of us who live in the NE. Will have the camera ready, definitely need that lightning shot..!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Skew T chart shows potential for convection and thunderstorm potential round Norwich from midday to 9pm certainly with that low pressure system coming in and troughs. Its going to be a widespread event today. Alot of cloud here atm though and not looking like the best setup but there is some time yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Just had a very light shower here in the last ten minutes. Bit dark to the SW but elsewhere you can see some patches of blue sky and TC and CB clouds through the gaps in the lower cloud decks. Bit of scud also below this cloud deck.

All in all looks very unstable indeed and bodes well for some action later today if not sooner as there was some thunder in Sprunehorpe a little while ago.:mellow:

Guest Quantumsnow

Some lovely clouds here in W Sussex, strong breeze too. Got the edge of a small cell about 20 mins ago, couple of small rumbles. Can't complain :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

just had a torrential downpour..come down like a fog of rain lasting a few minutes.

-

We have an interesting system moving in late evening and overnight, need to keep watch of this feature, its going to get rough in many areas..

post-11361-0-50655100-1309951448_thumb.g

post-11361-0-45131800-1309951526_thumb.g

Posted

Have to be honest im very disappointed with the latest radar. I know its only lunchtime but I cannot see much in the way of heavy showers/storms developing for my region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Thanks for the explanation Sparticle, I will read it later when I have a bit more time.

Had downpours and sunshine this morning, some cool looking clouds too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As expected, some of those showers are turning into thunderstorms as the cross over to the east of the Pennines. They'll reach Tyneside at around 14:00, hopefully that'll be an ideal time for development! Tomorrow, Friday and Saturday also look good for thunder in NE England, there could be quite a run of thundery days for some!

Yeah, even if I don't get any thunder over the next few days it should be an enjoyable spell as I always enjoy the frequently changing conditions and spectacular cloud formations associated with these sunshine-and-showers setups (indeed my overall favourite weather type is probably most accurately defined as "sunshine mixed with convective precipitation").

One advantage of this setup on the Tyneside coast is that with the winds being off the land there shouldn't be any problems with low cloud blotting out the view of the clouds and the lightning. The Met Office lightning maps for June show that there were no overhead strikes over Cleadon which is probably why I only saw the one flash on the 27th June.

Posted

just had a torrential downpour..come down like a fog of rain lasting a few minutes.

-

We have an interesting system moving in late evening and overnight, need to keep watch of this feature, its going to get rough in many areas..

Holy Moly that's a feature 'n a half. Going to be keeping my eyes firmly fixed on the NW Radar and Sat24 for events into this evening when that comes off. Doesn't look to be moving anywhere fast until Friday at least, western facing coastlines of SW England/NW England and Wales looking to see significant rainfall totals from Orographic enhancement of the fronts.

Posted

Holy Moly that's a feature 'n a half. Going to be keeping my eyes firmly fixed on the NW Radar and Sat24 for events into this evening when that comes off. Doesn't look to be moving anywhere fast until Friday at least, western facing coastlines of SW England/NW England and Wales looking to see significant rainfall totals from Orographic enhancement of the fronts.

I think I could get a fair bit of rain too...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Thunder heard to the my west in Newcastle...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The Met Office lightning maps for June show that there were no overhead strikes over Cleadon which is probably why I only saw the one flash on the 27th June.

Hello TWS,

Where do you get to access these then? sounds interesting as who knows if I go back far enough I may be able to add to my count of Thunder days. Which sadly, from memory stands at 3 this year!

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather