Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

9 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted

Sunday and Monday have a very small chance of something but as always it will miss here. Before anyone jumps on me for saying that im going on what has been happening for a long time. The storms either gain intensity after passing over or lose it before coming over.

Paul, Im really not having a go here but have you ever considered actually going to where the storms are in your locality, as opposed to expecting/wanting them just to turn up overhead ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Paul, Im really not having a go here but have you ever considered actually going to where the storms are in your locality, as opposed to expecting/wanting them just to turn up overhead ?

Not everyone has a car or can afford one and i am one of those people. Like i said in my comment they usually give up before they are in the area or intensify when they are out of the area. I do not expect one overhead and have never said that. So everyone who complains about not having a storm should really get out and find one is what you are saying

Edited by paul m

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Caught the edge of a storm about 14:00 here with rumbling off to the east for about half an hour or so. Also lucky enough to catch a good sized one at 20:00 last night.

Rest of the day has been sunny but to the north there has been a persistant line of CBs developing with impressive anvils. These are moving East in a line one after the other towards the Filey area and out to sea. If I put the radio on am, constant sprites. These are the cells over the Scarborough area which must by now be accumulating some very serious amounts of rain. The echoes on NW radar keep coming up white :o

Here it looks like we will stay dry now but, all things considered, I am pretty happy. A storm is nice but wall to wall storms and heavy rain all day is no fun. I remember 12 August 1997 in Falkirk - people had to get out of their cars and swim for it where Lidls now is on the east end of the town and in the dip outside the council offices on the west. Plus a number of garden walls were knocked down at the foot of the Glen Brae!

On the plus side, there were reports of ball lightning in that storm which also caused problems in Glasgow and Fort William if memory serves me rightly. If the anvils I can see and the radar echoes are anything to go by, Filey or Scarborough will be making the news tonight.

Keep yer heads down up there in N Yorks and in Falkirk & Polmont!

Posted

I was thinking of taking the kids to Scarborough today wish i had now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

It's been pretty active here. Another storm overhead right now. Thunder rumbling away frequently. Been like this on and off since about 11am

Posted

I was thinking of taking the kids to Scarborough today wish i had now.

If you took them to Hornsea you'd have had a lovely sunny afternoon :rolleyes:

New cell has just formed right over Filey and has just glaciated. Overshooting top to the anvil: I can see it out of the window as I type. More Cumulus congestus going up rapidly which will eventually head over the town.

Posted

Absolutely hammering it down in Edinburgh. Our kitchen is starting to flood now. HAd to stuff towels under the back door to try and stop it coming in. Will upload photos and vids in a few.

Posted

Stunning storm here once again. Super fork lightning over the city - no detection shown on the maps again though; might have to buy a detector to improve Scottish coverage...

Posted

For some strange reason the kids dont like Brid or Cleethorpes.

Stunning storm here once again. Super fork lightning over the city - no detection shown on the maps again though; might have to buy a detector to improve Scottish coverage...

Hardly nothing showing up in the Scarborough area neither

Edited by paul m

Posted

building on Leith Walk has taken a lighting strike. Emergency services EVERYWHERE

Posted

Here are a couple of shots of that cell that has exploded West of Filey - check on radar would say Staxton or thereabouts. The shots are about 5 minutes apart to give you some idea of the speed of development. It now extends right across the window and won't fit in the viewfinder :shok:

The storms seem to be in a line North of Flamborough Head. with nothing to the south. This must be topographic. Either air being orographically lifted as it hits the scarp slope of the Wolds at Staxton or air being funnelled down the Vale of Pickering which narrows eastward.

Interesting anyway.

post-7346-0-40299900-1310229704_thumb.jp

post-7346-0-41456400-1310229734_thumb.jp

Posted

Absolutely hammering it down in Edinburgh. Our kitchen is starting to flood now. HAd to stuff towels under the back door to try and stop it coming in. Will upload photos and vids in a few.

Can't wait too see them!

Posted

Here are the photos I took, I live in a basement and can't see much so not many storm pictures but more the flooding on our little back yard which was dry prior to the storm hitting. This is the result of just 10 minutes of rainfall. I did take a video of it all but its like 12 mins long and has me and my flatmate swearing like idiots on it trying to run around and stop the water coming in to the flat O_O

I'll edit it at some point and upload it.

post-8606-0-31343800-1310230037_thumb.jp

post-8606-0-02167800-1310230066_thumb.jp

post-8606-0-35634000-1310230098_thumb.jp

Posted

Another one glaciating over now. This one is a bit nearer than the others and there is Cu cong nearer again. Is it building slowly this way? Also another tall tower going up the NNW and again, this is nearer than the anvils behind it.

The energy out there this late in the day is astounding!

Posted

AMBER alert for Edinburugh area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had a few rumbles and some heavy rain between 3 and 4pm in Shotton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Hope all in the hit building are safe your way Sammie :mellow:

For those of us feeling storm-starved down south, the MO forecast for the end of next week is looking better for us!

"Showers and sunny spells are then likely to continue from Friday, some showers heavy and thundery. These are expected to mainly affect southern, eastern and central parts of the UK at the start of the weekend."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Looks like the pressure is starting to rise as I have a cumulonimbus to the south of me but looks like it is slowly dying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

getting dark here now , nothing heard yet but radar looks encouraging :)

Posted

Hope all in the hit building are safe your way Sammie :mellow:

Mee too! The Castle also got hit by lighting as well as large areas of the city being hit by serious Flash flooding again. Large areas of Morningside, Oxgangs, Newington and Cameron Toll are being hit by flash flooding and large chunks of Marchmont and Bruntsfeild have lose power.

Posted

Here are the photos I took, I live in a basement and can't see much so not many storm pictures but more the flooding on our little back yard which was dry prior to the storm hitting. This is the result of just 10 minutes of rainfall.

Good luck sammie. Having a respite atm, but radar shows a vicious cell heading our way.