Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

17 July 2011 - Storm/convective Forecast, Discussion And Reports

Posted

First storm of the year (that i've actually been able to watch!) :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Some great deep rumbles and CG's every minute.

First go at some lightning shots were a fail lol! Just about to see if I got anything decent!

The cell is heading Diss/Yarmouth way.

Posted

4 more grumbles from the next line through but no Lightning observed this time.

Just a plain old thundery shower, the real action looks to be over East Anglia from that line up there!

Posted

Skies brightning to the south now. No repeat of yesterday it looks like. But you never know what might happen...............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Some amazing cloudscapes out there today, looking to my west I can see some very strange formations, in fact I can't ever remember seeing a sky like this for years and that was down south! Not much happening convective-wise with this particular one but plenty happening to my north and northwest :drinks:

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

4 more grumbles from the next line through but no Lightning observed this time.

Just a plain old thundery shower, the real action looks to be over East Anglia from that line up there!

Very hectic skies to the north earlier, now obscured by that mass of drizzly rain heading towards Norwich. Can't be bothered to hop across country this time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Had three downpours today with some thunder mixed in the first band, not a bad day for active weather reallysmile.gif

Posted

Skies brightning to the south now. No repeat of yesterday it looks like. But you never know what might happen...............

I went down to Kilmarnock then headed back up into that. It was cool, driving up over the moors could see the top of the CB which had some very nice structure for the UK, driving further saw a few CG's came out of it. Then drove through East Kilbride which was a strange experience, It had only started spitting rain but the slow moving downpour further up the road had caused streams of water to run towards us down the road (hill). I.e. flooded without any rain falling :lol:

Glasgow and newton Mearns seem to have got the worst of it but stil raining in Hamilton. More following behind possibly from the radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Torrential rain again help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cape charts look good for East Anglia for the first half of the upcoming week but for most other places, not much exciting weather ahead I'm afraid.

Posted

I am watching a cell to my west literally explode the sky is almost black now. It's not going to be a direct hit on me but I can tell you the cloud formations are very impressive it's amazing to watch it take form!

Posted

Watching this from west end of Newcastle Paul. Its getting darker by the second...

Mate this is surreal. You know when you have to think to yourself "what;'s happening here" I have never ever seen clouds like it in my life and that is not an understatement. Problem is it has gone very still no thunder and no rain just an eerie calm and stillness. Is anyone reporting thunder from these cells?

Posted

Its really odd 'because the conditions i'm seeing you would expect thunder. As it is, its rained heavily for about 15 mins and is now on the decline. That said, seeing more dark cloud but it all looks very unstable...

Posted

More flooding in Scotland http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14176519

Its really odd 'because the conditions i'm seeing you would expect thunder. As it is, its rained heavily for about 15 mins and is now on the decline. That said, seeing more dark cloud but it all looks very unstable...

Tell me about it, I am expecting it to go bang at any second but maybe it won't? I am just getting the heavy rain now...

Posted

Just had another thunderstorm here about 5.15pm lasted about 45 mins..infrequent thunder/lightning but managed to catch about 5 or 6 good flashes with loud thunder. :)

Posted

More flooding in Scotland http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-14176519

Tell me about it, I am expecting it to go bang at any second but maybe it won't? I am just getting the heavy rain now...

If you look at the Scotland page then cycle through the images there is a pic of a funnel/tornado as well :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/

Posted

Fail!

DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

DSC_0174_01.jpg

Daytime lightning shots are way difficult. Didn't help I left my ND8 filter at home. Was pretty gutted.

Edited by lewisosd

Posted

If you look at the Scotland page then cycle through the images there is a pic of a funnel/tornado as well :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scotland/

Pretty impressive but feel sorry for those home owners!

Fail!

DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

DSC_0174_01.jpg

Daytime lightning shots are way difficult. Didn't help I left my ND8 filter at home. Was pretty gutted.

Still looks good though! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Judging by the radar all the storms have eased off in the north with only the south getting some action now

Posted

Fail!

That's so frustrating, what camera are you using? Did you shoot in RAW? Do you use a lightning trigger? Saying that though you probably couldn't pull anything back because too much data has be burnt out.

Answered my own question it is shot on a Nikon D3100, 1.4 sec exposure at f22

Edited by Adi F

Posted

Judging by the radar all the storms have eased off in the north with only the south getting some action now

Yup very quiet here now. Sun is out and has that lovely evening sunshine feel to the night, think I might pop to the local for a pint! :drunk:

Posted

Had 3 rumbles of thunder from the cell just clearing south of here,and of course the usual downpour.:smiliz64:

Posted

The rain is as heavy here as it was during the morning. Only 2 showers today here but very very heavy indeed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Fail!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/lewis_blythe/DSC_0084.jpg

And fail!!!!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/lewis_blythe/DSC_0174_01.jpg

I think your second one is still very good, you can certainly see the lightning strike clearly. Personally I "cheat" and take videos where the camera is pointed in the direction of where I think the lightning is coming from, and when I capture the lightning I extract the relevant frames of the video using VirtualDub. The upside of this is a significantly increased success rate with capturing lightning but the downside is lower resolution photos. Anyway just thought I'd let people know about my method as it's a possible alternative for those who get frustrated trying to photograph lightning.

I haven't heard any thunder at Cleadon today, but there were some impressive cloud formations in the last batch of showers- I caught a moderate shower here with a rainbow but there seemed to be much heavier stuff just to the north-west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Got a heavy shower passing over, I think there is distant thunder but unsure. As soon as a shower or storm comes near I always have planes going over or other background noises so hard to make out any thunder at times.