Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Comet Elenin (c/2010 X1), Now Breaking Up

frogesque

Posted

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart. ....

.....The behavior of Comet Elenin is akin to that of Comet LINEAR (C/1999 S4), which disintegrated ....

More from Spaceweather

http://spaceweather.com/

This is a pity, I'd hoped it would develop as a naked eye object as it neared the sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

All we need now is Yamkin to tell us that it's all part of the plan, and that it's starting to transform into a dwarf star. :rofl:

Posted

Oh dear, does that mean I've got to keep working now?

Comet_Elenin_Mattiazzo_8-27-11.jpg

Worse, images show Comet Elenin's bright core becoming elongated and diffuse — the telltale signs that its icy nucleus has either broken in two or disintegrated altogether.

One veteran comet-watcher who's not surprised is John Bortle. Four months ago, based on Elenin's performance to that point, he cautioned, "The comet may be intrinsically a bit too faint to even survive perihelion passage." And his words have proved prescient, as the fading continues (estimates are near 9th magnitude) and there's speculation that this object or its remnants might not be around much longer.

I guess all those pseudoscientific bloggers who predicted planet-altering encounters with a cosmic visitor bright enough to be seen in broad daylight will just have to find something else to worry about.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/128708798.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is there a mothership hiding in there somewhere? Maybe they're having problems with their Quantum Slipstream Engines?

Posted

What has confused me is much of the focus has been on Elenin and yet we have an asteroid called YU55 which will come much closer to earth.

post-1766-0-62274400-1314832077_thumb.gi

Although this wont hit us, this is still a very close call relatively speaking especially considering the size of the Asteroid. Even more concerning is that it wasn't discovered until Dec 2005. Who knows what else is out there that hasn't been discovered yet!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

Elenin appears to have broken into two halves. Here is the latest on Elenin:

http://www.youtube.c...ser/Envylife904

NASA must be scratching their heads wondering what Elenin x 2 is going to do next.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Elenin appears to have broken into two halves. Here is the latest on Elenin:

http://www.youtube.c...ser/Envylife904

NASA must be scratching their heads wondering what Elenin x 2 is going to do next.

Disintergrate?

Will you admit defeat Yamkin if she does break up? :)

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

Disintergrate?

Will you admit defeat Yamkin if she does break up? smile.png

I was very surprised when Elenin did break in half. I'm even more intrigued what the two halves will do now. The latest link I posted previously shows Elenin's path. They need to tell us if it's ELE 1 or ELE 2 in the orb diagram ph34r.png

Posted

I was very surprised when Elenin did break in half. I'm even more intrigued what the two halves will do now. The latest link I posted previously shows Elenin's path. They need to tell us if it's ELE 1 or ELE 2 in the orb diagram ph34r.png

They will continue to break up more than likely. If the whole comet could not survive then two halves are not going too.

As TEITS says above, there are far bigger menaces in space than a self-destructing comet!

Posted

They will continue to break up more than likely. If the whole comet could not survive then two halves are not going too.

As TEITS says above, there are far bigger menaces in space than a self-destructing comet!

Have a look at the link I posted earlier. Elenin was struck by some sort of EMF EMP - electromagnetic pulse from the direction of Jupiter and then split into two. Very strange as at first I thought the sun caused this, but the sun was on the other side!

I totally agree with you and TEITS regarding YU55.

The following video clips are worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHvp_TfLGa4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNam46uNAJ4&feature=player_embedded

Edited by yamkin

Posted

EMF?? Is that electro-magnetic something? Sorry for being a bit thick.

I will give the vidoes a miss Yamkin. I appreciate that you believe all this mumbo-jumbo and that is fair enough, but I will be giving it a miss :)

Edited by Radiating Dendrite

Posted

EMF?? Is that electro-magnetic something? Sorry for being a bit thick.

I will give the vidoes a miss Yamkin. I appreciate that you believe all this mumbo-jumbo and that is fair enough, but I will be giving it a miss smile.png

Correct about EMF to a point. Just an example that came to my head, but should have been EMP - electromagnetic pulse!.......I'll quickly amend my previous post!!

I believe in facts and always look at both sides of the story. The videos are to the point with no mumbo-jumbo. I appreciate your honesty good.gif

Edited by yamkin

Posted

OH NO..........It's back to the drawing board again by the look of things diablo.gif

ELENIN disintergtating!! is complete DIS INFO!!! 100% DEBUNKED LEARN THE TRUTH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msZAtb_12sI&feature=uploademail

Posted

Missed this last night we all know the planet has turned more chaotic weather patterns and with the magnetic field weakening and the polar shift moving in places.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14678002

there are some theories to support this.

changes in the magnetic field could alter weather patterns and maybe 'global warming' is more down to nature than human activity, as is the widely accepted view

http://www.viewzone.com/magnetic.weather.html

Posted

The Ironic thing is when Machholz (C/2004 Q2) did the exact same thing none of the conspiracists battered a eyelid. There's even a comet which is close in .au orbit than Elenin will ever be named Garradd, magnitude around 6 right now making it easily backyard telescope/binocular viewable.

Yet the conspiracists STILL insist were 'all going to die' just because this comet happens to be named ELEnin, no matter who you are or how many years astrological viewing under your belt. They still want the stigma carrying on with it.

Posted

OH NO..........It's back to the drawing board again by the look of things diablo.gif

ELENIN disintergtating!! is complete DIS INFO!!! 100% DEBUNKED LEARN THE TRUTH

Government conspiracy to hide the truth by any chance?

Posted

Yamkin, there is no evidence that the comet has broken into 2 halves. Nothing on NASA or space weather. It's just you making things up again..

Posted

The Ironic thing is when Machholz (C/2004 Q2) did the exact same thing none of the conspiracists battered a eyelid. There's even a comet which is close in .au orbit than Elenin will ever be named Garradd, magnitude around 6 right now making it easily backyard telescope/binocular viewable.

Yet the conspiracists STILL insist were 'all going to die' just because this comet happens to be named ELEnin, no matter who you are or how many years astrological viewing under your belt. They still want the stigma carrying on with it.

I see your point. In my humble opinion, I only see Elenin as a highly charged object which has an influence on Earth enhancing certain disasterous factors.

i totally agree with you that there are other comets much closer than Elenin.

Posted

Yamkin, there is no evidence that the comet has broken into 2 halves. Nothing on NASA or space weather. It's just you making things up again..

There is actually (genuine) please see the first post of this thread.

Posted

Backtrack' timestamp, after viewing coverage, in my opinion, I sincerely thought Elenin had split in two, but not disintegrate. I do not make things up. I amongst scientists was strongly debating this last night.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Backtrack' timestamp, after viewing coverage, in my opinion, I sincerely thought Elenin had split in two, but not disintegrate. I do not make things up. I amongst scientists was strongly debating this last night.

Where was that Yamkin?

Posted

So what now then? Are they going to follow the same orbit and miss by 22 million miles, break up completely or hit us?