Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Snow And Weather Conditions 2011-2012

J10

Dan - I don't think the timing could be better tbh - looks like it will snow all day thurs, very heavy on friday, and all day saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see over 100cm FRESH snow on top of what is there now by Sunday, and then it turns super-cold. Cant wait :-))))

Dont envy you with the drive down though.....hope you got your snowchains?

SS

yes got the snow chains..will be swapping driving with father and brother so will be fine....looking at the webcams now and already meribel's roads looking thick...

100cm? i don't think i've ever experienced that...very very excited now..have an excellent time..cheers

Posted

yes got the snow chains..will be swapping driving with father and brother so will be fine....looking at the webcams now and already meribel's roads looking thick...

100cm? i don't think i've ever experienced that...very very excited now..have an excellent time..cheers

It seems incredible that I was worried about the lack of snow just over a week ago. Have just checked the webcams again (becoming a bit of a junkie!) and it is still throwing it down. NW extra radar shows a huge amount to come too! - will be amazing to experience when (if!) we make it there.

SS

Well things turned out far snowier than I anticipated this time last some parts of the Alps received (or are in the course of receiving) over 50cm for the next few days. Especially in the western half of the Alps, click the following story for more info

http://www.skiclub.c...px?storyID=8431

A full forecast to follow early tomorrow afternoon.

Posted

more snow and more snow-the classic situation now for the northern Alps as winds have turned into a point north behind the low that passed through the English Channel 24 hours ago.

piccie of wx a few minutes ago at 6700ft with 30cm new snow and the snow blower on the line, with 10cm new snow in the village - at long last and predicted for more to fall.

post-847-0-81422700-1324111472_thumb.jpg

probably very similar throughout most of the Alps-parts of the western areas have already had 1m or more even at village level; the wind directions now should allow at least 20-40cm to fall at most other parts and down on to most valley floors.

Once again just in time for Christmas, the number of times this occurs must be about 1 in 2 at worst 1 in 3 years from watching over the past 10-15 years.

enjoy your Christmas in the Alps you lucky folk, dont spoil it too much before the 16 January!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

latest Ski blog now out

Jack one

Would really appreciate it If u included Italy in your forecasts. Heading to sauze d'oulx in January

Cheers

Italy is included in the forecast, but so far this winter most of the action has been for Austria and Switzerland (and France).

I will though do updates for Sauze d'Oulx and snow conditions over the next few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Italy is included in the forecast, but so far this winter most of the action has been for Austria and Switzerland (and France).

I will though do updates for Sauze d'Oulx and snow conditions over the next few

Thanks very much. Keep up the great work with this blog !!

Edited by johnny1972

Posted

Yes I suspect some of the resorts will be wanting it to stop now!

Wengen for sure or the Lauberhorn is going to be in difficulties due to the amount of snow that has to be pisted and hardened for it to be a race track.

Posted

one of the rotary snowblowers(can't see it on this its on the right) with ordinary plough on the back-looks to be fighting a losing battle. Most uphill transport seems to have been closed most of the day due to snow and wind.

This at Kleinne Scheidegg at 6,700ft, the terminus for the railway up from Wengen and on the other side from Grindelwald, change to the line the plough is on for the Jungfraujoch.

snow depth given as 95cm with 40cm in the village, Murren on the opposite side of the valley has 85cm and over 160cm close to the James Bond revolving restaurant.

I imagine other Alpine resorts are showing high snow totals as this area is often well below other Alpine areas.

Grindelwald-Webcam-Live-Cam-Bilder-Wetter-Kleine-Scheidegg-Schweiz-Live-Wetter-Webcam-Grindelwald-20111230133102.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I'm heading to the French pyrenees to Bareges/La Mongie next weekend and although there is snow cover and most pistes are open i'm a little worried about the temps esp at village level, i wanted my first skiing holiday to be perfect! lol

Posted

Yes, the French pyrenees often have poor conditions. It's a shame that beginners aren't often told of these things. the French alps, Switzerland and Austria are generally far more reliable, especially if you hit the sweet spot where you can get snow from the south and the north-west.

Posted

I'd rather go to Niseko which has far better conditions than anywhere in Europe ever has.

The Pyrenees ties in with other things we are doing down that side of France, wouldn't of been bright to drive to the other side of the country really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Good Morning,

First real snowfall of the season. The real heavy falls are much further west in the Arlberg and Voralberg (Swiss Borders) some exceptional snowfall depths currently there. However, ski-ing is much better here at the moment due to the lighter powdery snow and better visiblility. Long may it continue !

C

post-3489-0-55086300-1326015087_thumb.jp

Posted

Good Morning,

First real snowfall of the season. The real heavy falls are much further west in the Arlberg and Voralberg (Swiss Borders) some exceptional snowfall depths currently there. However, ski-ing is much better here at the moment due to the lighter powdery snow and better visiblility. Long may it continue !

C

hi Pail

Yes the eastern end did seem to miss out on some of the huge totals further west. Glad you are getting back to 'normal' again.

It really is astonishing how quickly things can change over the Alps, at the season of the season a lot of people with just reasons were criticizing the lack of snow in the Alps and conditions have chance markedly .

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?storyID=8458 and a bit of good news the roads to Ischgl area now open.

So there are some current snow depths .(deliberately chosen)

Zurs 205cm/370cm

St Anton 195/535cm

Lech 205/370cm

Chamonix 80/390cm

Montchavin 55/320cm

Engelberg 35/395cm

Gstaad 70/380cm

Saas Fee 82cm/355cm

The good news is with these snow depths, snow will be around for a long time the bad news is it raises the avalanche risk.

Posted

A nice lot of fresh snow in Austria this morning:

post-6667-0-33537100-1326447074_thumb.jp