Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Snow And Weather Conditions 2011-2012

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow

Still a bit nervous about the Christmas/New years period I must say. Sorry to be down beat but with the setup that we have at the moment this weeks snow may have to last a while.

With a very untrained eye on the models, they mostly seem to point to high pressure building up over Europe again.

Hopefully its only short lived am heading to Chamonix 17th Dec.

Fingers crossed

Posted

Snow finally arrives in the Alps

Winter has finally arrived in the major ski resorts, but Peter Hardy says we should only remain cautiously optimistic about the season ahead.

Skiers and tour operators breathed a collective sigh of relief today as snow started to fall in abundance across the Alps. Winter has finally arrived, one month behind schedule. The French Alps caught the first of it, but the snow is slowly spreading eastwards, with most snowfall expected on Wednesday and Thursday across a wide swathe of Europe, bringing up to 30 inches (75 cm) to most resorts in France, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy.

The first proper winter storm followed the driest and warmest autumn since 1864. Holidaymakers arriving in resorts such as Courchevel last weekend found, at best, just a strip of man-made snow surrounded by brown pastures and bare peaks. Val d’Isère and Tignes in France, along with Zermatt in Switzerland and Ischgl in Austria, had managed to open on schedule with around 20 per cent of their pistes, but others have had to postpone their opening days

Anxious tour operators who have been frantically discounting holidays will now start restoring their prices. But if you can find a bargain chalet and get away this weekend to a resort such as Tignes or Ischgl, you are going to have a ball. Adam Johnson, head of ski sales for Igluski.com, the UK's biggest independent ski holiday agent, said: "Last week we were being inundated with calls from people desperate to know if it was going to snow; today the phone hasn't stopped ringing from people wanting to book late deals. "The snow we've had is obviously a relief otherwise skiers arriving for Christmas would have been greeted with grass-covered slopes. Now we've got to keep our fingers crossed it stays cold and there are still more falls."

The prospect of bare slopes and long faces for the Christmas and New Year holidays has mercifully receded. However, my advice for anyone planning on booking a last minute trip is to still only aim for one of the highest resorts, preferably with a glacier. While I’m cautiously optimistic about conditions for a proper white Christmas almost everywhere, much depends on temperatures over the coming fortnight. Currently it is colder at altitude than it has been: -13C on top of the Grande Motte glacier above Tignes this afternoon and -9C on top of La Saulire above Meribel and Courchevel. However, any return to the +12C we have been experiencing at resort level and the current snowfall will rapidly disappear, particularly in low-lying resorts.

In Val d’Isère last week I saw people picnicking on the grass on the lower slopes looking down on the town where people were walking about in T-shirts. Up on the jaffa cakesaillas Glacier a new restaurant opened with a barbecue party on its gloriously sunny, but snow-free terrace at 9,800 ft (3,000 m). The ground is still warm and it will now take time to establish a firm base. The sheer volume of skiers over the holiday period requires a well-established base, otherwise the snow cover will be quickly eroded. Unfortunately, temperatures are expected to rise later in the week and any precipitation on Friday in the Alps could fall as rain below 6,500 ft (2,000 m).

A white cloud of artificial snow should have been enveloping resorts since around November 10. However, cannon can only operate at temperatures below 3C. Normally they create haystack-sized stockpiles that pisteurs can then “farm†around the slopes. This creates a secure base before nature steps in with the real stuff. But temperatures were too high for cannon to operate except at night. As a result, World Cup races scheduled for Val d’Isère that normally mark the beginning of the European ski season had to be moved to Beaver Creek in Colorado. North America has had a much better start with snow falling since October.

http://www.telegraph...n-the-Alps.html

alps.snow.12.5fbc.jpg

rainandsnowscale.metric.gif

Snowfall for 12 hrs ending Wed 07 Dec at 1pm Local Time

http://www.snow-fore...ps/dynamic/alps

Thanks Julian - an interesting read. The divergence of the 850 temps was interesting and at the same time hard to understand (for me anyway) - why is there so much variation or are you indicating the possible range?

SS

The Alps covers a wide area, and it is very easy for 850HPA temps to be 10c higher from one part to another. There is the trade off of getting as much info across as possible, but also making it easy to read in a table.

Thanks for the updates guys.

I'm off to Morzine in Port Du Soleil on Xmas eve and it's not looking great atm :(

Some decent snowfall today even down to Morzine level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Heading to Les Arcs at end of January, it's finally had some decent snow.

You can really see how well the snow has built up over the past 5 days, particularly in the last 2 :)

Saturday 3rd http://www.webcam-ski.com/archives/2011/12/03/1000/arc1950_clocher/clocher_MEGA.jpg

Monday 5th http://www.webcam-ski.com/archives/2011/12/05/1000/arc1950_clocher/clocher_MEGA.jpg

End of today http://www.webcam-ski.com/archives/2011/12/07/1600/arc1950_clocher/clocher_MEGA.jpg

Posted

http://www.chamonet.com/reports/news/20-ski-resorts-open-in-the-alps-this-weekend.html

Not looking so bad just now!!! Meto have issued high avalanche warning across the French alps till the pack stabilizes. So be careful out there!

carinthian posted on Tue? that there was no snow yet in Katschberghohe(?) where he is. Any body got updates for the eastern alps?

Jon

Posted

http://www.chamonet....is-weekend.html

Not looking so bad just now!!! Meto have issued high avalanche warning across the French alps till the pack stabilizes. So be careful out there!

carinthian posted on Tue? that there was no snow yet in Katschberghohe(?) where he is. Any body got updates for the eastern alps?

Jon

The resort I go to in Italy ( not far from the Austrian border) got about a foot of snow or so, though the snowfall was better in France and Switzerland.

If we can keep a cool/cold zonality pattern, there should be more snow opportunities for the Alps, (GFS shows several next week).

Edit: Link which shows snow accumilation over the Alps in the past 7 days: http://img.snow-forecast.com/images2/alpssnowlast7days.903c.jpg

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted

Not lots falling tomorrow:

alps.snow.24.660f.jpgrainandsnowscale.metric.gif

Snowfall for 12 hrs ending Sat 10 Dec at 1am Local Time

Mostly confined to Austria

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Coast, what area does that map cover, exactly? And what are those white areas at the bottom? Glaciers? Ice cover?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

DOH!

Ah yes, I see now haha!

Ahem. Move along people, nothing to see here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Hi all,

Lovely sunny morning in Katschberg. Pistes being groomed for tomorrows first quest arrivals of the new season.

C

post-3489-0-94708000-1323431559_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Coast, what area does that map cover, exactly? And what are those white areas at the bottom? Glaciers? Ice cover?

Erm........ that is the alps (see Italy stretching down).

The white areas are the Med and Adriatic.

Posted

Thanks Jackone for the forecast. Very much appreciated!!!

Just wanted to post this from http://www.weather-forecast.com/ of there 06am 11/12 forecast for cham.

post-15796-0-66865700-1323600838_thumb.j

Now I must say that they keep changing there minds on what will happen after Tuesday but it this came of!!! The freezing level drops right down after Friday as well.

Thanks all

Jon

edit: ps sorry bit of topic, but intrest for those that live in the North and Scotland http://whitelines.mp...evis-range.html

Edited by jonnybradley

Posted

Looking at the latest model output, there could be some very heavy snowfall across the Alps on Friday and into the weekend!

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Looking at the latest model output, there could be some very heavy snowfall across the Alps on Friday and into the weekend!

Good to hear - I'm flying out Thursday morning :)

I do agree though - some places look like they are going to get plastered.

I am heading to Mayrhofen and according to Bergfex forecast (which I usually trust) there is going to be 77cm falling at mountain level beween now and Sunday!

Posted

61mm of water predicted for my ski area (Jungfrau) and even at village level all snow so depths should be interesting by next Tuesday if the latest forecast is correct.

As a minimum that could be 100-130cm of the stuff!

Just in time for Christmas, if only I had a spare grand?

never mind it hopefully will make a good base for 16 Jan when I get out there and also, if its correct, ensure the Lauberhorn races take place.

Much relief with a number of Wengeners I know involved with the planning of that including the chief man.

Posted

61mm of water predicted for my ski area (Jungfrau) and even at village level all snow so depths should be interesting by next Tuesday if the latest forecast is correct.

As a minimum that could be 100-130cm of the stuff!

Just in time for Christmas, if only I had a spare grand?

never mind it hopefully will make a good base for 16 Jan when I get out there and also, if its correct, ensure the Lauberhorn races take place.

Much relief with a number of Wengeners I know involved with the planning of that including the chief man.

John - I am heading for the French Alps on Sunday (Courchevel) - I know people there and the snow is fantastic there now. The word locally is that they are expecting BIG snow over the next four days (maybe a bit wet lower down until thurs) - I hope all the roads will be open!!!!!

SS

John - I am heading for the French Alps on Sunday (Courchevel) - I know people there and the snow is fantastic there now. The word locally is that they are expecting BIG snow over the next four days (maybe a bit wet lower down until thurs) - I hope all the roads will be open!!!!!

SS

Also heading that way this weekend, to La Tania. Driving down, via Portsmouth Saturday morning, so expecting some delays. But all worth it if loads of snow..

Looks like excellent timing..

Posted

I'm flying to the French Alps on Friday morning and it looks to be a nightmare!

Snow and gales potentially delaying take-off at East Midlands airport are one issue but once I get there, it seems as though getting up the road to Val D'Isere (1800m) is going to be awful as it comes towards the end of the 70-90cm (!) that is forecast. Still, should we eventually make it, it looks to be an incredible week.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by SuttonStorm, December 14, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by SuttonStorm, December 14, 2011 - No reason given

Also heading that way this weekend, to La Tania. Driving down, via Portsmouth Saturday morning, so expecting some delays. But all worth it if loads of snow..

I have to say I don't think the timing could be better tbh - forecast to snow most of thurs, friday (very heavy) and saturday I wouldn't be surprised to see over 100cm fresh snow on top of what is there already - then getting VERY cold for monday. Can't wait :-)))))

SS

I'm flying to the French Alps on Friday morning and it looks to be a nightmare!

Snow and gales potentially delaying take-off at East Midlands airport are one issue but once I get there, it seems as though getting up the road to Val D'Isere (1800m) is going to be awful as it comes towards the end of the 70-90cm (!) that is forecast. Still, should we eventually make it, it looks to be an incredible week.

Don't envy you that drive - hope you got yr chains?

SS

Posted

Dan - I don't think the timing could be better tbh - looks like it will snow all day thurs, very heavy on friday, and all day saturday. I wouldn't be surprised to see over 100cm FRESH snow on top of what is there now by Sunday, and then it turns super-cold. Cant wait :-))))

Dont envy you with the drive down though.....hope you got your snowchains?

SS