Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Unbelievable Record Cold In Asia And Alaska

Posted

I found this blog, make for very interesting reading and if it's true, could make for a very severe winter in those parts.

http://blogs.woodtv....le-record-cold/

It appears all time records are dropping like flies in Alaska, I'll try and find out about Siberia but check out the link below!! extraordinary!!!

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story/16470974/article-Record-Fairbanks-cold-continues--air-quality-warnings-issued?instance=home_news_window_left_top_3

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Last yr on Nov 22nd - 24th Alaska had some record breaking warm temps for the time of yr

ak-temp-20101122-24.gif

Alaska Temperature Departure Anomalies

22–24 November 2010

Image Credit:

Earth System Research Laboratory

An unusual winter storm impacted large portions of Alaska on November 22nd–24th. Record-setting precipitation and record high temperatures created a winter ice storm that affected much of interior, northern, and south central parts of the state. According to the Fairbanks National Weather Service Office, rain fell on "deeply frozen" snow-packed roadways, leading to ice that covered nearly all of Alaska's road system and created dangerous driving conditions. On November 22nd, a record 0.50 inch (13 mm) of rainfall was recorded at Fairbanks International Airport, breaking the old daily record of 0.21 inch (5 mm) set in 1925. This rainfall amount was the second largest daily rainfall amount between November and March in Fairbanks since record keeping began in 1904. The heaviest amount was 0.99 inch (25 mm), which fell on January 20th, 1937. In the southern portion of the state, King Salmon reached a new daily high record temperature of 51°F (11°C) on November 23rd, breaking the old record of 48°F (9°C) set in 1952. Anchorage reported only its third freezing rain event in the past three decades, the other two occurring in 1995 and 1980. Dozens of traffic accidents occurred across the state, but no fatalities were reported.

Posted

A complete opposite synoptic pattern to last year is to blame for this. NOAA is reporting typically -10c to -17c negative departure from the normal. That would equate to daytime maxima in the London area around -6c and minima -12c.

Certainly exceptional

Posted

Presumably last year's record high temperature was held up as evidence of global warming whilst this year's record lows are just "weather" or am I being too cynical?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Presumably last year's record high temperature was held up as evidence of global warming whilst this year's record lows are just "weather" or am I being too cynical?

It's 'climate change' now, you silly bugger. :p

Edited by Aaron

There's no accounting for these jet streams - they have a mind of their own and affect the weather accordingly.

Posted

The difference between climate and weather couldn't be more clear right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Here's a comparison for the 2 anomalous spells.

The first is this year, 13th to the 17th of this month (17th being the latest data available)

Alaska13-17thNov11.gif

This being the 21st to the 25th of November last year

Alaska21-15thNov10.gif

The cold spell may still be going though so they might not be perfect comparisons yet.

A complete opposite synoptic pattern to last year is to blame for this. NOAA is reporting typically -10c to -17c negative departure from the normal. That would equate to daytime maxima in the London area around -6c and minima -12c.

Certainly exceptional

Yes and no - the records are by definition exceptional, but for many parts with continental climates a -17c departure is not as significant as it would be for London - for example Fairbanks has a greater than 40 degree range between record minimum and maximum temperatures at this time of year.

Obviously you're being cynical, last year's warmth occurred whilst the UK had record breaking cold which many believed refutes climate change. As Mike points out this is the vagaries of the jet stream.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by greybing, November 20, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by greybing, November 20, 2011 - No reason given

no
Posted

Not many people know this, or probably want to but anyone experienced a larger one?

What's your biggest temperature differential?

Since everyone is talking about the cold snap, here’s a cold-weather tidbit that weather geeks like me, and most Fairbanksans, can appreciate.

When Fairbanks Nordic ski guru John Estle flew back from Orlando, Fla. to Fairbanks on Monday and Tuesday, he set a new personal record for biggest temperature differential — 116 degrees — for starting and ending a flight from the Lower 48 to Fairbanks.

“It was 80 degrees in Orlando when we got on the plane and it was 36 below when we got (to Fairbanks),†said Estle, who has lived in Fairbanks for the better part of 30 years and has done a fair bit of winter traveling.

That compared to a 90-degree temperature differential on the trip down last week. It was 13 below when Estle left Fairbanks and 77 when he landed in Orlando.

The biggest temperature differential I’ve ever experienced was around 100 degrees seven years ago when we flew home from Hawaii in late December. The temperature was about 80 degrees when we left Honolulu and 20-something below when we arrived in Fairbanks at 2 a.m. to a frozen truck in the airport parking lot.

As those of us living on the edge of nowhere like to say, “Only in Fairbanks.â€

Edited by weather ship

Not many people know this, or probably want to but anyone experienced a larger one?

What's your biggest temperature differential?

Since everyone is talking about the cold snap, here’s a cold-weather tidbit that weather geeks like me, and most Fairbanksans, can appreciate.

When Fairbanks Nordic ski guru John Estle flew back from Orlando, Fla. to Fairbanks on Monday and Tuesday, he set a new personal record for biggest temperature differential — 116 degrees — for starting and ending a flight from the Lower 48 to Fairbanks.

“It was 80 degrees in Orlando when we got on the plane and it was 36 below when we got (to Fairbanks),†said Estle, who has lived in Fairbanks for the better part of 30 years and has done a fair bit of winter traveling.

That compared to a 90-degree temperature differential on the trip down last week. It was 13 below when Estle left Fairbanks and 77 when he landed in Orlando.

The biggest temperature differential I’ve ever experienced was around 100 degrees seven years ago when we flew home from Hawaii in late December. The temperature was about 80 degrees when we left Honolulu and 20-something below when we arrived in Fairbanks at 2 a.m. to a frozen truck in the airport parking lot.

As those of us living on the edge of nowhere like to say, “Only in Fairbanks.â€

Interesting stuff, I may be able to get 90+ degrees when returning from Singapore in a few weeks.

Of course there are some locations in the US that have experienced same-day temperature changes almost as large, such as the 100degF temperature fall of Browning, Montana.

I've linked to this list of Montana weather events before, but it is fascinating - http://www.wrh.noaa....t&fx=topweather

They thrash us for heat, cold, rain, snow and sun. The only thing we could surpass them on is probably grey skies. UK weather is so benign!

Edited by Interitus

Posted

Interesting stuff, I may be able to get 90+ degrees when returning from Singapore in a few weeks.

Of course there are some locations in the US that have experienced same-day temperature changes almost as large, such as the 100degF temperature fall of Browning, Montana.

I've linked to this list of Montana weather events before, but it is fascinating - http://www.wrh.noaa....t&fx=topweather

They thrash us for heat, cold, rain, snow and sun. The only thing we could surpass them on is probably grey skies. UK weather is so benign!

And don't forget this amazing example.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64673-amazing-temperature-drop/

Posted

I hope that we're going to get some record breaking winter weather this year! And it's great to see some record breaking cold weather in Alaska instead of record breaking warm.

Posted

I hope that we're going to get some record breaking winter weather this year! And it's great to see some record breaking cold weather in Alaska instead of record breaking warm.

Intersting to note that you find a wind chill factor of 70F below interesting. I must admit I have to wonder sometimes......

And don't forget this amazing example.

http://forum.netweat...mperature-drop/

Yes I remember that post and the same state (Oklahoma) almost experienced the reverse in February this year. After falling to the lowest temperatures ever recorded in the state, the temperatures rose 100 degF into the 70s six days later http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1750

Montana appears to take the prize again though with a chinook giving a 103F rise inside 24 hours.

I must correct myself that I may see a 90+ fall, I must've been on the sherry early. Whilst it's remotely possible, somewhere in excess of 70 degress would be more feasible, though it could plausibly be as little as 25F

Edited by Interitus