Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just can't believe it. I've had thunder. I weight 4 months and then I get some in december!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Heavy snow recently here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

3.5C is surely to high for snow and in my experience in these marginal set ups, the temperature can actually RISE during showers as more often than not the wind picks up from the sea when a shower arrives.

At least one thing this cold snap could do is cool the SST's down somewhat, not by much but a drop is certainly possible.

Yes 3.5c is to high for snow but if any heavy ppn falls the temp will fall, it was 3.3c here earlier and the temp dropped to 1.5c with heavy WET snow but has since risen to 3.7c under clear skies with a westerly wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Nothing in the northeast then hmm debating wether its worth even getting up early now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Dewpoint is close to 0C, and with heavy hail showers, the temperature most certainly won't be rising. :)

My experience of marginal easterlies is that the temperature falls to 0°C during clear spells and rises to 2-3°C when a shower comes along. Sometimes, the temperature actually falls back down to 0°C during the shower if its heavy enough.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Just can't believe it. I've had thunder. I weight 4 months and then I get some in december!

Lol, i wanna be home right now. I am missing all this wild weather atm

Posted

You're a little misguided there buddy. Need more information but from what you've said if I had to stick my neck out I would say you're on the wrong side of marginal. As the poster above me said, you can often expect a subtle temperature rise as the showers reach you, too.

It's still producing heavy hail though from what I can see if nothing else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Nothing in the northeast then hmm debating wether its worth even getting up early now

I certainly wouldn't do that. My sixth form opens at 08:30 so I have to get up at 07:00 anyway though. :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

lightning now out to the NW with hail showers incoming. The irish sea has woken up.

Posted

Nothing special but a bit of bird poo snow on the car.

post-8968-0-80991600-1323031583_thumb.pn

Posted

I certainly wouldn't do that. My sixth form opens at 08:30 so I have to get up at 07:00 anyway though. :bad:

Mine is the same time aha i was debating on getting up at 5am for a look and radar check im desperate for even a dusting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

My elderly mother in law is about 10 miles to the west of that red line in Cheshire

Will give her a call cira 3am to see if she got anything ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nothing special but a bit of bird poo snow on the car.

post-8968-0-80991600-1323031583_thumb.pn

Didn't settle here but heavy snow shower was definitely not forecast down to this elevation so I am pleased!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

snow has basically stopped and has turned back to sleet now and thats extremely light! Hopefully some more snow later and some might settle possibly if the temps drop overnight?

No snow will settle if you are close to the coast tonight, uppers aren't cold enough to stop the Irish sea warming theses areas.

Wet snow will fall in heavy showers and the temp will fall only to bounce back up as soon as the ppn becomes lighter and clears away. My max temps are actually in the clear spells atm and only fall if a shower comes along.

Posted

Snowing heavily in Bacup and settling easily. I hope it's still there in the morning so I can see it properly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just finished some coursework, and can now view this thread! Welcome to Winter!! Hopefully you will all see some snow at some point!

Posted

I can't remember what date it was last year, but a similar setup over a 48hr period is what gave the Pennines up to a meter accumulation over the tops from a Mersey-Estuary streamer. It was eerily similar to tonight's setup with just a line of convection which never stopped flowing, and pulses of heavier falls occasionally.

Obviously air temps are milder with it only being early December, but if the same setup happens again in Jan/Feb then today is a early testdrive.

Posted

I'm sure they will be some showers knocking about your part tomorrow, but if I lived in your location I would be focusing more, and be much more excited for tuesday and wednesday.

The break down from the west, brings a band of precipitation right across your area, as it stands from the past 4-5 GFS runs (still time for change) it has showed your area under the colder of upper 850's, holding on to the much lower 0c isotherm levels, and dew points with temps on side also. Along with the central belt and some other parts of NW England (inland areas) I would say your in the prime position for not only some snow, but the heaviest bringing some of the best accumulations away from higher ground during this current cold spell.

lewis

I hope they do come knocking about! :D And really ive not heard any predictions from MO or bbc but Lomond Snowstorm highlighted a snow to rain event last night to me what you think of chances and do you have fb mate?

Posted

My elderly mother in law is about 10 miles to the west of that red line in Cheshire

Will give her a call cira 3am to see if she got anything ?

Ye do so, it will probably sleet/snow on and off in her location overnight, but I doubt any will settle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I can't remember what date it was last year, but a similar setup over a 48hr period is what gave the Pennines up to a meter accumulation over the tops from a Mersey-Estuary streamer. It was eerily similar to tonight's setup with just a line of convection which never stopped flowing, and pulses of heavier falls occasionally.

Obviously air temps are milder with it only being early December, but if the same setup happens again in Jan/Feb then today is a early testdrive.

Some areas in Lyme Park had about that, but that maybe due to drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

wet snow here in the dale