Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Pleased to see the mods have started a Northern England thread.

Up on Fairfield today - arctic conditions, severe wind chill and blizzards not the best conditions it has to be said. Enjoyed watching shower after shower pounding in from the west delivering wet snow to about 300m - lots of hail as well, very tough walking.

Tonight well we have had a few wet snow showers but nothing settling yet, mainly because they have been fairly light and shortlived. Uppers have dropped markedly and I should think any heavy showers if they last long enough should bring a cover by morning - so we may record our first morning of the season with snow cover.

I suspect tomorrow will see a wintry mix to low levels, wet snow sticking to grass and cars in any heavier bursts but I am expecting any long lasting cover to affect parts above 200m - still fairly low but shouldn't trouble many in Cumbria only those venturing on the higher routes - mmm my trip to Penrith in the morning could be tricky.. i'd best avoid shap and kirkstone pass. Tomorrow night likely to be a repeat of tonight.

Friday has potential to deliver a notable shortlived snow event if we see any trough features - uppers will be cold enough again, but until then the next 24-36 hours probably offer the best chance of any lying snow cover on the very lowest ground before we see milder uppers creep in slowly from the west on tuesday and especially so on wednesday and thursday.

A wintry week ahead for the NW

I am really pleased to see december starting off how it should do - wintry.

Was just a stones throw from you today, went up Hellvelyn this afternoon, certainty was a wild day! Good to have snow back on the fells!

Shame these showers on the radar now seem to be too far west for me, all the fun is in west cumbria.

Posted

Snow has started again here bit sleety though but have a dusting on all the cars and it is actually starting to settle in places on the roads and pavements.

Posted

No chance. 2.2C, hail falling. 1cm covering on cars, enough in drifts to hear the classic 'crunching under foot'

In fairness its unlikely to get much colder a degree or two at the max under slightly colder uppers.

So if anyone isn't seeing snow now then I question whether you will at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

what happens when humidity gets to 100% do we get fog/mist

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Much bigger snow showers in Western Scotland now on the radar, surely something will make it to the east of the Pennines by dawn :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

drifts ? lol

:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, it was windy earlier :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Much bigger snow showers in Western Scotland now on the radar, surely something will make it to the east of the Pennines by dawn :)

BRILLIANT news I said the radar would improve lets hope it continues :)

Posted

Down to 2.1C now. Interesting, as it's stopped hailing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

No chance. 2.2C, hail falling. 1cm covering on cars, enough in drifts to hear the classic 'crunching under foot'

Drifts? LOL oh how you love to exagerate BT :acute:

Posted

snow in Chapel en le Frith :)

Seeing the same snow on Eccles Pike & Combs Moss from my way aswell, slight covering here on the pavements in town. More to come later on during the night and all through tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Absolutly identical to the 12z ECM.

Showers are going more inland then the models expected, but that is normal in this set-up, the models seem to nearly always under-estimate the staying power of convective showers in these set-ups.

Where do you view the ECM PPN please?

Posted

Those 2 showers in the South West, would surely be under -5c uppers by this time? So could they be wintry in nature?!

Showers are shown to be be parked over the Brecon Beacons at that moment, so would definitely be wintry. I'm not too sure about how much snow will fall from showers once they cross into England.

Posted

I need the change in wind direction to occur for me to get anything now, anything coming from the Irish Sea is going to the south and the showers to the north disband before they get to Sheffield, nevermind here.

I don't expect any snow on the ground, just a nice little shower or two.

Posted

Next lot of showers for the Leeds area!

post-8968-0-22930100-1323037406_thumb.pn

Posted

Currently 2 degrees here with dew temperature of 1.8. Really hoping for a suprise in the morning but as things stand I think the eastward extend of the showers will be the A1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Going to get very windy overnight here, the Meto have gusts to 55mph for my location early tomorrow.

Currently 2.4c DP 1.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

hmmm had one shower in the last 4 hours here Kold.Like i said the wind direction is all wrong needs to be either WNW or E.Actually this area does better from an E wind to be honest.

Suprised you say you do better from an Easterly unless of course its one of them once in a generation powerhouse smash the floodgates easterlies, that said we had 6 inches in 3 hours at the end of nov 2011 so you may have a point but all the high ground is to the east, to be honest i think our area would do very well from a good battleground setup.

Posted

Drifts? LOL oh how you love to exagerate BT :acute:

I'm not lying! I can see the shed of someone's house, there's a drift of about 5cm hailstone on there!

Posted

Next lot of showers for the Leeds area!

post-8968-0-22930100-1323037406_thumb.pn

Unfortunately I think that the Lakes will probably gobble up most of the showers, but you will probably still get some

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

The beeb has us down for heave snow from 0300 tomorrow nd then again later in the day.

Posted

Everything stopped for me at the moment. just the slightly dusting on the cars for me at the moment! What are my chances of anything for later on tonight and tomorrow?

Thanks