Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold & Windy Spell Discussion 3

Posted

Wow, I've been so busy worrying about the storm that I completely missed that feature. It has a very similar look to that shortwave feature that brought down the MVIII

http://hw.nwstatic.c.../57/h500slp.png

Could be a major snowfall event.

I liked this, then realised, last year my sons 2nd Birthday party was cancelled due to the snow, guess when his 3rd Birthday party is this year? Yup Saturday :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I liked this, then realised, last year my sons 2nd Birthday party was cancelled due to the snow, guess when his 3rd Birthday party is this year? Yup Saturday :/

Oh dear, that's really unfortunate, I hope he gets his party this year. Although, at that age (and probably even at this age if I think about it) the snow would probably have made up for the lack of a party :lol: Hard to say if it will be or not though. It's likely to be worse in the west than the east but it's certainly not looking very marginal at all. Once it appears on the NAE then the NMM tomorrow we'll have a better idea of what's going to happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

South Lanarkshire Council making the decision sometime mid morning on whether to close schools early - according to their twitter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

What a system, really being fuelled now..

post-7292-0-76683600-1323302214_thumb.jp

992mb to 957mb in 18 hours ..

post-7292-0-77153400-1323302227_thumb.gi

Ensembles show the speed and severity of the pressure drop.

post-7292-0-45174800-1323302206_thumb.pn

Looks like more schools beginning to get an idea.. http://www.facebook.com/westlothiancouncil

Posted

This is the latest from Hollyrood on schools etc ...

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/12/08001815

I reckon that Dumfries & Galloway's night watchman hasn't worked out how to update their internet page ... http://www.dgcommunity.net/escpublicclosures/schoolsclosed.aspx

Snipped from Salmond & Co ...

"Schools across west, central and southern Scotland are set to not open or to close on Thursday after the latest expert advice showed that the very severe gales due to hit Scotland were almost certain to close key routes and could result in police advising motorists to avoid travelling."

"The decision is a matter for individual authorities but the warnings are of the highest level of seriousness and we are clear that safety has to be the paramount issue. Parents should check locally through websites, local radio and with their schools to find out the specific situation with their own schools"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning folks - and I wonder what today will bring? Rain started hammering down at 5.30am. Winds quite light at the moment S/SW with temp on the up. Now sitting at 4.1c here with dew point 1.8c. Pressure starting to fall and is at 996mb -4.0mbs/hr. Had a look around web-cams and, with the exception of Drumochter at 5.45am, doesn't appear to be any snow anywhere.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Morning!

1.4C here. Heavy sleet. Winds are up but not too blowy yet, but the weather station says 'pressure falling very rapidly'. The profile for the last few hours looks like the Big One at Blackpool!

Two things I've never seen before, a red warning for my area and GFS not backing off on the wind speeds at the last minute. Stay safe everyone, if you don't need to go out then DO NOT GO OUT!!

BoyCatchI has chosen the wrong day to be sick as he was going to be off school anyway, d'oh!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Left the house at 6am and 3c, melting snow and heavy rain causing some flooding on local roads. Heavy rain all the way into Glasgow with blowing spray on the M80.. Currently 7.5c and heavy rain and getting windy in Glasgow city centre.

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

South lanarkshire have said on twitter that schools and nurseries are to be closed all day!

Posted

Its absolutely hammering down with rain in Stirling and the winds are starting to pick up - schools closed at 1230 which will make for an interesting school run

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Morning! Blustery and heavy spattering rain here in south Edinburgh.

Radio4 finally mentioned it this morning - now quite straightforwardly, "police are advising motorists not to travel", so with luck that'll pin my mother down within the house all day, phew.

A day for staying indoors. And watching...

BleakMidwinter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Traffic Scotland now showing weather stations on their map , http://trafficscotla...itemtypeids=16#

Edit : and http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations/

Edited by Calum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looks like the core of the system is tracking further North than predicted

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/local/archive/2011120807_uk.gif?1323330300

Currently 964mb from 980mb at 0100 hrs - steep pressure drop.

With the current track severity of winds will lessen slightly for the most populated central corridor. Glad to see many schools closed or closing early today.

Rush hour this evening from Edinburgh on M 8 back west will be silly, if the road is even open. Glad am not in work today and hope the business folks let folks away early.

ECM throws up another similar system in FI - this one even fiercer.

post-7292-0-05879700-1323331675_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

morning Scotland pretty gusty here in Lanarkshire so I cant imagine what this afternoon will be like however just took a quick look at the models

is it just me or has it been slightly downgraded in terms of wind speeds if so this is of some good news on the other hand it could be a blip in the model

output as the storm approaches :help:

Posted

Up to the minute live updates on school closures and the transport situation here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16082303

Posted

Wind Station on Fairlie Crane, Ayrshire

Last minutes current average wind speed = 56.33mph

Last minutes maximum wind speed = 63.8mph

Posted

Fairly breezy here currently 1c and about half the snow has gone especially where exposed to the wind.Slush everywhere but snow still lying to full depth in sheltered areas. At least all rhones and gutters should have lost their slush before the refreeze so thats a positive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well our school texted us at 8.05am closing a 12 noon. Wind starting to blow now, gusts starting to be heard from indoors.

Had a thought at 4am (up with wee one coughing) to make tattie soup and pop it in a flask for emergency tea later - just in case power goes.

Hope everyone stays indoors and safe.

Posted

East Dunbartonshire schools are closed today whereas in West Dunbartonshire they are open as normal. Right now it's getting a little bit windy :help:

Perhaps I could use the kite later; or watch someone's roof blow off. Choices, Choices, Choiced...

EDIT: We just had a really strong gust. Will our tree survive after somehow living to tell the tale for many years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Isn't it dark this morning? Wee bit windy here but very wet and very dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards, snow and wild wind:-) x

Strong winds this morning blew the shutters in my bedroom open but all is calm now - very wet and grey out. Keep safe everyone. x