Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Ive uploaded some pictures of the snow in the Peak District http://www.flickr.co...57628363984745/

And next fridays low is looking very severe for our area, I know I like it windy but this is looking too windy! Im dreading the amount of trees that will come down with that, not to mention structural damage too.

Some very nice photos there Matty! It does make my craving for snow worse though haha, I've almost forgotten what a snow covered landscape looks like :p

Posted

Some very nice photos there Matty! It does make my craving for snow worse though haha, I've almost forgotten what a snow covered landscape looks like :p

Haha thanks. Im surprised you havent had any snow yet to be honest, usually the Pennines get it before the Peak District. There was a very strange light level up there today considering it was around midday, helps make some of the pictures though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Well if the 18z is right, we'll get hit bad on Friday :80:

Yes just been looking. As it stands we're currently smack bang in the firing line. As much as I enjoy extreme weather, those kinds of winds would be extermely destructive to say the least.

Ive uploaded some pictures of the snow in the Peak District http://www.flickr.co...57628363984745/

And next fridays low is looking very severe for our area, I know I like it windy but this is looking too windy! Im dreading the amount of trees that will come down with that, not to mention structural damage too.

Very nice Martin! Especially for the snow starved of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

i cant upload as im on my phone but look at the gfs wind direction and speed for t126. They are outragious and show we would bear the brunt of it. Constant wind speed of 90mph. Thatshurricane force isnt it?

Oh here it is

http://hw.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20111210/18/126/ukwind.png

Edited by saintpeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

If it comes off nw england will get it worse. Im already worrying. I thought my chimney was going to roll off the other day. God help fridays potential.

What could you do. Lol your house would probably be the only house standing as you live in a frost, snow and wind hollow. Hehe

LOL! Yep. Wind hollow right here! Wind will be gusting at 11mph. Woop.

Friday's storm looks very fun. Finally a storm worthy of recording gusts of over 30mph.

Posted

LOL! Yep. Wind hollow right here! Wind will be gusting at 11mph. Woop.

Friday's storm looks very fun. Finally a storm worthy of recording gusts of over 30mph.

You crack me up bt. You will feel this one it will be blowing the water from the mersey. By golly youll feel it lol

Posted

Yeah don't know whether I should be worried or not :p

Sleep? What's that? I did thanks. Didn't get the snow so had to make do with booze instead.

So looking like everything potentially chucked at us this next week, Strong winds and heavy rain. Snow? Well we'll have to wait and see.....

Should be honoured that I am part of your thread.

You crack me up bt. You will feel this one it will be blowing the water from the mersey. By golly youll feel it lol

Eeeewwwww, toxic Mersey Water.

Hmm, probably get some good gusts if it's blowing in down the Mersey. 60mph to be breached? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Haha thanks. Im surprised you havent had any snow yet to be honest, usually the Pennines get it before the Peak District. There was a very strange light level up there today considering it was around midday, helps make some of the pictures though.

We had a little dusting but that was it, I think we were unlucky with the shower distribution, still there's a lot of winter to go yet! Oh and I just noticed I called you Matty, I apologize Martin :p

OH MY GOD?!

lol it's still a fair number of days away though plenty of time to downgrade!

It's interesting I say downgrade, as I do love extreme weather and part of me just for sheer morbid curiosity wants the storm to come off just to experience it, but I really wouldnt want any of the damage or destruction and it could be bad being near christmas and all :S

Edited by James M

Posted

We had a little dusting but that was it, I think we were unlucky with the shower distribution, still there's a lot of winter to go yet! Oh and I just noticed I called you Matty, I apologize Martin :p

No problems James.

On the note of next fridays potential storm Im sure we will get the met offices early thoughts on it with the countryfile weather tomorrow. If they focus heavily on it then I think we can get excited/scared from it. Personally I wouldnt be surprised if it does stay at a similar intensity just down to how fired up the atlantic seems to be at the moment and also that the southern half of the UK is due a serious storm again.

But we also need to remember we have another low pushing in on monday/tuesday, could get quite windy off that too in places.

Posted

This storm in 1990 caused extensive damage to Merseyside and North Wales, winds reached over 100 mph destroying New Brighton Swimming baths and flooding Towyn in Wales. The forecast for Friday looks much worse, but at least the tides will be lower...

Rrea00119900227.gif

Friday

Rtavn1261.png

Posted

Friday's one looks much worse. Could be a very devastating storm. Power could be out widely.

So looks like I won't be reporting my wind speed after all. Grr.

Posted

The above scenario is fantasy land atm...we cant even get a frost going ..and all we are seeing from the GFS is a ridiculous outlier..pure fantasy if you ask me right now.

Currently 7.4C with yet another day hitting close to 8C.

a few light rain showers are around currently..yet another lousy boring sunday weather wise for this part of the region.

Nah it's all in one, so if I did that, I would lose the ability to measure wind.

We maxed out at 5.8C, the temperature is 4.4C at the minute, and is rising due to increasing cloud. :(

YOu maxed out at 5.8C because of the height of the temperature gauge, its not a realistic temperature that

your reporting..you should get a new temperature instrument and place it below 2m to get a very accurate

temperature, but dont put it into an enclosed space, ie a yard with 3 walls thats your best bet..coz your

temps have been way colder due to the height your recording at.

Since writing the above post, its now climbed to 8.2C, becoming quite mild in a southwesterly wind

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I would not call Friday fantasy land. Maybe if only one of the forecasting models was showing it then fair enough, but at the moment there is cross model support. Unless there is a massive climbdown by all of the forecasting models there will be a storm of some description. It isn't if for me but where the low will end up.

Posted

So my drive to Wiltshire tonight is going to be wet and horrible, and my drive back up on Thursday night looks like it could be a bit special, what's the odds Thelwal, the toll and Barton bridges will be shut!! Looks like it's going to be a real howler, more like 50mph sustained winds with gust 80+ I reckon.

Edited by WorsleySnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In 1990 the window in my sisters room was blown right out - thats how strong the wind was, I remember hearing a bang, then a shatter, amazing strength.

Given the wind will funnel up the Dee estuary, and there is nothing but sea until Ireland, we could get gusts up to 80mph here and maybe 100mph on the cliffs edge as it stands.

Posted

So my drive to Wiltshire tonight is going to be wet and horrible, and my drive back up on Thursday night looks like it could be a bit special, what's the odds Thelwal, the toll and Barton bridges will be shut!! Looks like it's going to be a real howler, more like 50mph sustained winds with gust 80+ I reckon.

Hoghly likely the bridges will be closed. You would have to see how things are closer to the time. If we get a red warning like scotland did then they should defo be closed. Along with schools etc

Posted

The above scenario is fantasy land atm...we cant even get a frost going ..and all we are seeing from the GFS is a ridiculous outlier..pure fantasy if you ask me right now.

Currently 7.4C with yet another day hitting close to 8C.

a few light rain showers are around currently..yet another lousy boring sunday weather wise for this part of the region.

YOu maxed out at 5.8C because of the height of the temperature gauge, its not a realistic temperature that

your reporting..you should get a new temperature instrument and place it below 2m to get a very accurate

temperature, but dont put it into an enclosed space, ie a yard with 3 walls thats your best bet..coz your

temps have been way colder due to the height your recording at.

Since writing the above post, its now climbed to 8.2C, becoming quite mild in a southwesterly wind

My sensor is at Met Office height.

It's not inaccurate because both the car, and the van showed the same temperature.

It was freezing out yesterday. I don't see how you can question my readings when you're over 6 miles away. The area I live in is quite rural and open if you walk up to the top of the road.

My temperature sensor is accurate, however the one on the roof is not.

06z has downgraded it.

Instead of gusting to 90mph, it's now more like 70mph.

It's shifting the LP further North, so will probably be shifted North of Scotland by time it's in the reliable.... damn. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Thank God for any downgrades, I enjoy a good windstorm, even when up in the hills (it's quite fun as long as you don't have the chance of being blown down the mountain...) but that kind of monster would bring way too much destruction.

Splendidly wintry up Kinder way yesterday, I love that crunching noise you get when walking on deep snow....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

We have planned a special short pre-Christmas break for the family up in Windermere leaving next Friday. I hope we don't have to decide it's just too risky. We can travel any time of day so that's a bonus as we can gauge when the winds might be less strong hopefully. The M6 will be interesting though. Looks like its gonna be a memorable week for differing reasons.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Good model agreement on a vicious storm system to track over the UK during Thursday night and Friday morning with insane wind speeds over NW England especially Cumbria.

90-100mph gusts or more possible, quite worrying looking at the charts.

post-9615-0-94041800-1323616205_thumb.pn