Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just had a sleet shower! Okay, not exactly thrilling news, but still the first wintry precipitation (not counting hail) I've seen since January. Only stayed as sleet for about 20 seconds before becoming lighter and turning to rain. Mind you, the whole shower only took around 1 minute...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just had one of those really weird snow flurries when there is no cloud about :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

HEAVY SNOW very heavy in the cotwolds as i type.

Posted

Yet again the trend of mostly clear night with no frost continued last night with a low of 2c, had a few light showers this morning but all of rain again as they were very light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Had alook at the met 5day forecast for brum and they forecasting lite snow for friday.

Posted

Yep here is the warning:

Outbreaks of heavy rain will turn readily to snow during the early hours of Friday.

The snow is likely to accumulate over time with a risk of up to 10 cm over higher ground.

At low levels sleet is more likely but even here some lying snow cannot be ruled out.

Seems reasonable to me, suspect most places WILL get snow of some sort but whether or not it settles or lasts for long is another matter. I'm willing to bet some decent accumulations above 150M.

Posted

post-6740-0-45158200-1323867056_thumb.jp

Outbreaks of heavy rain will turn readily to snow during the early hours of Friday. The snow is likely to accumulate over time with a risk of up to 10 cm over higher ground. At low levels sleet is more likely but even here some lying snow cannot be ruled out.

The public should be aware that this could lead to travel disruption on Friday morning.

-----------------

Doesnt look overly exciting as not many of us live on a hill, however fairly typical wording from the metoffice at this stage. If come tomorrow night the area to be effected is certain and the conditions definately right for snow then i imagine that would change although they may just leave at that until or if flash warnings are required

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

yes, sounds a fair and accurate warning at present, I don't anticipate snow here, just sleet.

off topic - anyone else having problems with raintoday? Won't load for me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

yes, sounds a fair and accurate warning at present, I don't anticipate snow here, just sleet.

off topic - anyone else having problems with raintoday? Won't load for me...

Running fine for me

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Try this link

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Trust me, if the met office were confident that snow will not fall to levels, they would say so.

They have said this to cover themselves, If its mostly sleet, or if there is heavy snow to even levels; there right either way.

Its clearly very marginal, but i think its possible snow could accumulate at lower levels, especially during heavy bursts.

It could go either way, but anywhere within the warning area could see significant accumulations of snow IMO. Im not even going to hazard a guess as to what the probability is, because even the BBC are very uncertain in their forecast today, so its clearly a very chaotic pattern atm.

Posted

going to be a very interesting evening of model watching, rarely do we this amount uncertinaty at such a close timeframe, even at T+36 we have no real indication of how this will pin down.

this will probably be one of those localised events where one folk will get a dumping of 4 inches, and the other 20 miles down the road will have a slushy mix.

Apart from last 2 winters, almost 9/10 had our best snowfalls have come from marginal events as such.

december 1996, feb 2002 and more recently feb 2007 are my top 3, rain all day turning to heavy snow, wet out conditions turning into white out conditions.... unbeatablle :D

can we have a repeat? hmmmmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just had a light snow shower 20 minutes ago to whet the appetite for Friday hopefully. :D Were about 130M ASL here so that should be decent enough I think. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Great to see the ECM has shifted in line with GFS and UKMO/NAE as last night it had all the precip in France! Could still happen but some decent agreement coming through now. Friday morning rush hour could be very tricky. Some very heavy snow possible especially if the NAE comes off.

Posted

sounds like the beeb are ramping it up now east mids today mentioning snowfall and driving snow on friday :) Didnt go into any detail though will have to wait for that till later or tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Doesnt look overly exciting as not many of us live on a hill, however fairly typical wording from the metoffice at this stage. If come tomorrow night the area to be effected is certain and the conditions definately right for snow then i imagine that would change although they may just leave at that until or if flash warnings are required

I can't wait just moved in.

post-7914-0-37055400-1323870413_thumb.jp