Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Is the A1 ok, as my folks are on route, and they always use the A1?

A meet the Grand Parents day for mini cheggers then! :D

Big Innes

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

A meet the Grand Parents day for mini cheggers then! :D

Big Innes

Aye it is, and if anyone passing, a wee dram of finest Benromach to celebrate as well.

No more snaw here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Is the A1 ok, as my folks are on route, and they always use the A1?

No problems reported at the moment :)

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/list/ , if you scroll down to the bottom there's quite a few cameras availiable for the A1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

No problems reported at the moment :)

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/list/ , if you scroll down to the bottom there's quite a few cameras availiable for the A1

Aye. Looks fine on the cams - snow seems to be mainly away from the coast/modest elevation in the E Borders / Lothian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Aye it is, and if anyone passing, a wee dram of finest Benromach to celebrate as well.

No more snaw here.

There you go mate.

A Snawy day oan the piste and never left the hoose!

Enjoy.

Big Innes41amdhEAJuL.jpg

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Cristmas card scene this morning with another inch of snow overnight. It is very dry powdery snow and the temperature is currently -2c

Can see everthing white right down to sea level round the Firth . Had lying snow for a week now with only one day (Thursday) of rapid thaw which left snow in sheltered areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Well folks is everything tied down and tidied away - next week looking equally potent, if not more so.

Two systems lined up on the models and some nasty looking charts in the area.

Looking at +96 hours 0100 Weds morning the first low has tracked in.. not much difference here between the ECM and Met models. The ECM at this point bringing in a secondary low.

post-7292-0-73681300-1323511621_thumb.gi post-7292-0-44208500-1323511634_thumb.gi

Fax Chart for +84 here and one to watch later to see how the Met factor in the GFS output.

post-7292-0-69651100-1323511995_thumb.gipost-7292-0-59828000-1323512009_thumb.pn

The mid day chart from GFS throwing up a horror show, also on this run the low is pushed through much more quickly than the 00z runs.

Then later behind this we have

post-7292-0-91872500-1323511815_thumb.gi post-7292-0-57564600-1323511823_thumb.gi

Is this the last big push from the Atlantic with very tentative signs for a mid-atlantic ridge and a potential route to blocking later in the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Can anyone tell me if these three big lows (Thursday, Mon-tues and Thurs-Fri) are part of one hiccuping pressure system, or are they completely unrelated? It's not uncommon for Scotland to have gale-force winds, sometimes storm-force, but I'm not familiar with this pattern of dead calm, then storm-force, then dead calm, then storm-force, then dead calm, then storm-force. Isn't it more usual to have a week of windy weather which sometimes peaks up to gale or storm force?

Posted

Oh and here is the GFS version of Storm 3. Even more intense.

post-7292-0-74323600-1323513035_thumb.pn

Can anyone tell me if these three big lows (Thursday, Mon-tues and Thurs-Fri) are part of one hiccuping pressure system, or are they completely unrelated? It's not uncommon for Scotland to have gale-force winds, sometimes storm-force, but I'm not familiar with this pattern of dead calm, then storm-force, then dead calm, then storm-force, then dead calm, then storm-force. Isn't it more usual to have a week of windy weather which sometimes peaks up to gale or storm force?

This is an unusual pattern, am not the best at explaining but as I see it there is a very small distance between the higher upper temperatures in the Atlantic and the colder uppers to the North. This in turn leads to the potential for these systems to develop rapidly. http://www.eots.co.u...bomb/bomb01.htm

This chart shows uppers varying between 10 degrees and -12 degrees within a relatively short distance.

post-7292-0-97194200-1323513326_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh and here is the GFS version of Storm 3. Even more intense.

post-7292-0-74323600-1323513035_thumb.pn

Jeez! Have to admit Lorenzo that I was excited about the approach of Tuesday's storm just to see what it would produce -(although it turned out not to be as potent here in east central as in the west) This thing on Friday, is a different kettle of fish tho' and I really do hope that it downgrades! That can only be described as killer weather!

If Friday comes off as forecast then there will be utter carnage here. The Met-O will issue another red warning and everyone will ignore it after the shambles on Thursday. The NMM nailed it so that's the model to watch :good:

Posted

Good to see the snow reports ! We missed out here as the band of precipitation slipped just to the south. So we remain snow-free so far this winter (not remarkable for my location - 2 of the 6 winters I've lived here have featured no lying snow).

Fair skies, currently +1.5c after an overnight low of -0.9c.

Posted

If Friday comes off as forecast then there will be utter carnage here. The Met-O will issue another red warning and everyone will ignore it after the shambles on Thursday. The NMM nailed it so that's the model to watch :good:

I would be on the NMM if i had a subscription sorted out CMD, will get myself one for Xmas I reckon if any pennies left after shelling out on the kids :) will make do with the NAE just now ! The ECM has also nailed these systems extremely well IMO.

Jeez! Have to admit Lorenzo that I was excited about the approach of Tuesday's storm just to see what it would produce -(although it turned out not to be as potent here in east central as in the west) This thing on Friday, is a different kettle of fish tho' and I really do hope that it downgrades! That can only be described as killer weather!

Nick F just posted some snow projections for the Southern parts mid week, I fear there will be many irate people up here as undoubtedly the media will ramp up the first decent snowfall should it come off and not concentrate on the storm systems. Am not being inflammatory here, it really is a simple fact of how national media responds to snow ! This will also contribute to what you said Catch re the Red Warning from last week being unheeded.

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

People seemed to really heed the warnings last week and the streets and roads were very quiet....with still many north of me up the A9 without power I am sure warnings will be well heeded....the areas where the storm did not really cause any damage or drama hower I fear will see `people as you say ignore it....thats why METO dont post many Red warnings i guess.

Posted

I feel we are all hardened to the southern bias of the press, I for one tend to ignore most of the drivel printed.

Temp 1.8c and very foggy, kids oot enjoying the snaw.

Posted

Okay as the east have enjoyded the first proper snow of the winter I'd like to find out what the depths are across the country. I also found out that there's a dusting back in Torrance which is good.

Posted

Okay as the east have enjoyded the first proper snow of the winter I'd like to find out what the depths are across the country. I also found out that there's a dusting back in Torrance which is good.

Not all of the east!

We have 0.000000000 cms of snow here. <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

2 to 3 inches from last night here but more further inland as usual. Cats have been out having fun in the yard - feline equivalent of a snowball fight :wacko: :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

2 inches here...nice...just back from a 10k trail run in the snow in the woods...nature at it's finest...cannae whack it! :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Two more nasty looking storms coming next week, especially Friday!

Still time for it to change but definitely some more wild weather coming this way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

2-3 inches here. 1 snowman.

2 C.

Winter tyre fun planned in 1/2 hour.

SS over and out.