Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 12th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted

Quite a few 06z GEFS members still have Friday's low tracking across northern Britain:

post-1052-0-93309500-1323690919_thumb.pn

Though given the spread in solutions for the low's track, there is alot of model uncertainty, which is probably down to how the trough and jet coming off of NE Canada phases and interacts with the developing low over the Atlantic on Thursday. The low seems to develop ahead of another system moving off the Eastern Seaboard mid-week, as a cold trough and strong jet comes off NE Canada and interacts with the steep themal gradient west of the Azores mid-week.

The low looks to have some rather warm (for early winter) Tm air wapping up into it as it arrives to the SW - with much colder air in contrast on its northern flank, so there is potential for some explosive development - it's whether it will deepen rapidly over the UK or further east. The models aren't too developmental with the low this morning, but there is perhaps potential for rapid cyclogensis near the UK, given the steep thermal gradient and a strong jet along it.

Quite a few 06z GEFS members still have Friday's low tracking across northern Britain:

post-1052-0-93309500-1323690919_thumb.pn

Though given the spread in solutions for the low's track, there is alot of model uncertainty, which is probably down to how the trough and jet coming off of NE Canada phases and interacts with the developing low over the Atlantic on Thursday. The low seems to develop ahead of another system moving off the Eastern Seaboard mid-week, as a cold trough and strong jet comes off NE Canada and interacts with the steep themal gradient west of the Azores mid-week.

The low looks to have some rather warm (for early winter) Tm air wapping up into it as it arrives to the SW - with much colder air in contrast on its northern flank, so there is potential for some explosive development - it's whether it will deepen rapidly over the UK or further east. The models aren't too developmental with the low this morning, but there is perhaps potential for rapid cyclogensis near the UK, given the steep thermal gradient and a strong jet along it.

when can we pin detail down?

Posted

those charts posted above just show the true volatility of the current evolution of this monster storm. Hence the met office still have not changed their countrywide warnings.

Expect some more changes after tonights little episode has passed through. I doubt if it will really be known until 24 hours before it is due to make inroads accross northern parts

All of them still look savage

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

when can we pin detail down?

Probably by T+36 hours out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Someone mentioned to me, that the strength of this storm is determined quite a lot by the azores high. The higher the high pressure the steeper the gradient between the two pressure systems, and Harry - Mr storm lover! Welcome back again! LOL

Hehe yo!! I'm so busy with work and studies at the moment my opportunities for getting on here are slim!

Yes the strength of adjacent areas of High pressure will indeed come into play, which for all intents and purposes help fuelling the depressions. The concerning element of the low for later this week is the proximity of warm sub-tropical air to the south of the jet stream with bitterly cold polar air to the north of the jet stream. As the disturbance interacts with the particularly strong jet and you get the mix of warm moist air with very cold drier air from the poles, with the result being a explosive deepening (and the potential 'bomb' scenario).

Try looking at the synoptics of the great storm (87) and the Burns Day storm (90). You will notice some stark similarities with the charts modelled for this week!

Edited by Harry

Posted

judging by the T-120 meto chart we've got NE or maybe NNE winds gusting maybe 70mph ish at best up here? Still not great at judging to within the tens of mph by closeness of isobars yet but, that's my guess. Going by the track between the T-96 and T-120 it is passing well south of us now, eye through southern scotland whereas few days ago it had progged us to take the eye over northern scotland.

Posted

Hehe yo!! I'm so busy with work and studies at the moment my opportunities for getting on here are slim!

Yes the strength of adjacent areas of High pressure will indeed come into play, which for all intents and purposes help fuelling the depressions. The concerning element of the low for later this week is the proximity of warm sub-tropical air to the south of the jet stream with bitterly cold polar air to the north of the jet stream. As the disturbance interacts with the particularly strong jet and you get the mix of warm moist air with very cold drier air from the poles, with the result being a explosive deepening (and the potential 'bomb' scenario).

Try looking at the synoptics of the great storm (87) and the Burns Day storm (90). You will notice some stark similarities with the charts modelled for this week!

that is something that had caught my eye as well are we talking about something that could get as bad as that????

if so then everyone could be in the firing line of this.

I also think that the other concerning thing is if it develops before or after crossing land

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

If you have any hot air balloon trips arranged for this week, might have to re-book.

Posted

judging by the T-120 meto chart we've got NE or maybe NNE winds gusting maybe 70mph ish at best up here? Still not great at judging to within the tens of mph by closeness of isobars yet but, that's my guess. Going by the track between the T-96 and T-120 it is passing well south of us now, eye through southern scotland whereas few days ago it had progged us to take the eye over northern scotland.

see the link/chart below Helen and anyone else interested-hope it helps

post-847-0-21081900-1323693028_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Met office warnings have changed again folks: Looks like rain is the bigger factor now...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Met office warnings have changed again folks: Looks like rain is the bigger factor now...

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Exactly as been prog'd on here for a while, but as interested bystanders, we don't have the nations safety at risk and I can fully understand the MetO' caution until things get closer and clearer.

I'm just a little concerned as to how Friday is slowly paining out......

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

RIP Fridays storm.

So lets look at Tomorrow and wind possible snow on Wednesday. Gusts up 60 mph - 70 mph and mainly for Southern Scotland again. At the moment it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
RIP Fridays storm. So lets look at Tomorrow and wind possible snow on Wednesday. Gusts up 60 mph - 70 mph and mainly for Southern Scotland again. At the moment it is.

RIP Friday's storm?

Posted

Wouldn't lay to rest Friday's storm just yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

It's Monday/Tuesday's storm that's been downgraded, in terms of caution.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

local radio station news has just been on ,they said southeast is going to be hit hard tonight with gales.So i looked at the meto to see that they have taken warnings away for winds its just rain that will be the problem.Confused.com lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I heard that as well. Se supposed to get a battering with gale force winds, heavy rain and possibly tornadoes, yet MetO is pretty quiet. I imagine the radio may be exagerrating things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Whatever comes of the storm, wind, sleet or snow, the rain is coming in on mass.

Flooding possible? certainly by the end of the week.

post-7183-0-01194200-1323696020_thumb.pn

Soggy Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

well the lovely blue sky has now gone,looks like we could be getting rain soon.

Posted

No idea what to expect here, so I will just wait and see.

Weather warning for snow here (right on the edge) on Tuesday/Wednesday :cc_confused:

Posted

Meto have updated their warnings with a quite widespread snow, rain and wind threat tonight and tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Raining now, wind gone from 18mph to 35mph southerlies in the last hour, pressure falling. Here we go !

Edited by Treiagonaut