Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia And The Three Counties Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Well by the looks and sounds of it it's officially it's going to snow properly at the weekend - significantly some say !

Is it too early to start talking about depths? - naaaaa (-:

I'm going for the imperial measurement of 4 inches to start with... and then top ups as and when.

If you like fantasy island charts (FI) there's plenty more to come on a reload mid month, around Valentines day they say.

Considering it takes 4 cm of the white stuff to bring the country to a halt....Plan your journeys by radar and keep that blanket/shovel/torch/fuel in your car - you don't want to get stuck in a trafic jam running out of petrol.

Did I say 4 inches.. no lets go for 6 (-:

Edited by Pixel Precipitation

Posted

maybe the three counties are in a good spot for snow on saturday, not to far west and not too far east, though of course things will change again right up till the last min

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted

Looks like Bourne had a fair dusting this morning between 6-7am according to folks at work....

I can confirm we did. 1 Cm or maybe two if I was to exaggerate in places. Light flurries still around. Only melting where the sun targets when it occasionally comes out.

Posted

As expected, the meto have updated to show region wide snow on saturday night, starting to get slightly excited now, although it could still go pear shaped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Doesnt it usually go all pear shaped! Only two days ago the model thread were saying winter is over and we were heading back to SW'lys and he atlantic, and 48 hrs later its the complete opposite!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

As expected, the meto have updated to show region wide snow on saturday night, starting to get slightly excited now, although it could still go pear shaped.

and there's a chance the front may stall or slow down as it comes up against the east - very exciting indeed - looking forward to seeing the models after 3pm today - here's what they look like now:

and this one just out, the o6z is not the most reliable but consistant with the 0z above:

cool link to Icelands finest by Tiny Bill in the next post below

Edited by Pixel Precipitation

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/w...ntic/#type=temp

just back from felixstowe and its fezzzzing with the beast down there looking at the latest upgrades loads of snow for us weekend and we staying cold cant wait to see matt hammond doing the weather to-night ,i sometimes think under another name hes use this place by the way he say things

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny. Cold and sunny.

Bitterly cold here this morning. Just back from my walk along the beach and the easterly wind chill is very unpleasant. Still lots of lovely sunshine though. Temperature is 1c with a wind chill of minus 6c. Had a few minor snow flurries up on the cliffs yesterday evening that were being blown around by 40mph winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Morning chaps and chapesses ;),

I drove along the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway last night, and encountered two light snow flurries from about 22.20, between Fen Drayton and Oakington...

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Seeing as I live parly in this model thread area - amazing news and pictures coming out of Germany now. Even Alsace areas west of the Rhein are seeing windchill levels at -25c. Over in the East the inland shipping routes around the Elbe have frozen solid and ice breakers are being needed in the Baltic harbours. Just that bit colder uppers and no North Sea makes such a difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Again, to be reminded of this extremely tricky-to-forecast mini LP that the Met Office currently thinks will affect EA/SE England Friday night. Encouraging, and the Fax charts show it this morning.

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

Fax: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1.gif

IMO a little too early to call the weekend snow, it's gonna go down to the wire for sure, we could easily end up missing frontal snow/rain altogether. Gut feeling is a stall somewhere over the Midlands. Large amounts possible.

Edited by chris93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Seeing as I live parly in this model thread area - amazing news and pictures coming out of Germany now. Even Alsace areas west of the Rhein are seeing windchill levels at -25c. Over in the East the inland shipping routes around the Elbe have frozen solid and ice breakers are being needed in the Baltic harbours. Just that bit colder uppers and no North Sea makes such a difference.

Bet they wish they'd kept their nuclear power stations open now. Their power bills will be astronomic with having to import their baseload power from France. I'd imagine the Greens will be slightly less popular when this is over.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I know there is nothing set in stone as yet, but does anyone think Northampton is in the firing line for decent snow at the weekend. I never know where Northampton lies geographically, sometimes it's the east midlands, or the south east or eastern england. It's a kind of nowhere land.lol

Posted

Well last nights flakes amounted to nowt, well I lie - there may be a flake left on the lawn somewhere! However the cold weather is laying a nice surface for snow to stick to, should we get some in Norfolk over the next few days - I always worry when temps have been mild and then a sudden cold snap, that the top layer of the ground doesn't have time to cool and allow snow to lay, but at the moment even during the day we are only just above freezing so all good.

Anyone want to stick their necks out and guess at what Norwich would see, snow wise, over the next few days?

Posted

Met office have now got warnings out for Sat night into Sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Meto warnings start as early as light snow for eastern EA tonight, 2 to 5cm on Friday night more widely across EA but upto 10cm overnight on Sat into Sun for the whole area - exciting times ahead for the region!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Hampshire, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham.

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock.

Issued at - 02 Feb 2012, 12:46

Valid from - 05 Feb 2012, 00:00

Valid to - 05 Feb 2012, 12:00

A band of snow will continue to move slowly eastwards across England during the first half of Sunday. This may be heavy initially but will tend to die out during Sunday morning. Total accumulations from this snow event are likely to be of order 5-10cm in many places; this includes low lying areas. The public are advised that this is likely to lead to some travel disruption, and should pay close attention to forecasts as the event approaches

http://www.metoffice...C2EA5C7049_3_SE

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

It really is quite astonishing how short memory is. In the 1980's (and I refuse to think that I'm old), I recall snow in the Dales where it wsa 2 feet level, and easily drifted to the height of lower barn roofs. Hard to think that 5-10 cm is heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Meto warnings released for light snow for eastern parts of EA tonight, causing ice tomorrow - 2 to 5cm more widely across EA Friday night and 5 to 10cm widely across whole region on Sat night/Sun - exciting times ahead for the region!

It really is quite astonishing how short memory is. In the 1980's (and I refuse to think that I'm old), I recall snow in the Dales where it wsa 2 feet level, and easily drifted to the height of lower barn roofs. Hard to think that 5-10 cm is heavy.

I would imagine they are hedging their bets - some places where the front stalls will see more than 10cm I'm sure. The detail however is not easy to forecast and it will be a case of now-casting on Sat!

Posted

MK that snow chart you posted had Lowestoft as one of few places not pasted in snow. Damn fronts never get this far east, give me a proper Easterly with convection, none of this Westerly front hitting cold air baloney, that's for those lucky sod's west of here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Meto warnings released for light snow for eastern parts of EA tonight, causing ice tomorrow - 2 to 5cm more widely across EA Friday night and 5 to 10cm widely across whole region on Sat night/Sun - exciting times ahead for the region!

I would imagine they are hedging their bets - some places where the front stalls will see more than 10cm I'm sure. The detail however is not easy to forecast and it will be a case of now-casting on Sat!

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England

Essex, Norfolk, Southend-on-Sea & Suffolk

valid from 1500 Fri 03 Feb to 1100 Sat 04 Feb

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

valid from 1500 Thu 02 Feb to 1100 Fri 03 Feb

Posted

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England

Essex, Norfolk, Southend-on-Sea & Suffolk

valid from 1500 Fri 03 Feb to 1100 Sat 04 Feb

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England

Yellow Warning of Ice for East of England :

Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

valid from 1500 Thu 02 Feb to 1100 Fri 03 Feb

Ice.... ICE????? :wallbash: