Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

I don't normally post but thought I will today to give me input :). I live in Stockton but I am in Barnet castle at the moment and its snowed all day and have about 3 inches.

Posted

Really? From 1cm level here to 8 cms a few miles away? Radar didn't suggest that.

Indeed it didn't, but I can vouch for it. The grass has been totally covered for the past hour or so here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Some depth starting to get into it now ; quite heavy at times :D This is lovely !

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Apparently there's barely a dusting in Heaton, but 2.5cm here in High Heaton. Its starting to snow lightly again.

Posted

Can this just STALL now please? :$

Posted

Boo hoo, really disappointing but not totally unexpected. While everyone else got worked up this week, I found it hard to get enthused over the model output for this region.No snow cover at all here, just the ice, which is dangerous and has novelty value, but NO SNOW COVER , not even 1 mm !!

Oh well, there's next weekend to watch now, need a NE tilt to any Euro attack, then yer talking !!

Karl

reason for edit - spelling mistake lol

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Got a couple cms here now and still coming down, small flakes but am still very happy with what we have had more than i expected with more to come.

There is about 3 inches of ice on my back windows nerver seen that before

Posted

Clearly the only real snowfall today was in the heavier bursts. Decent covering here of an inch but I suspect it'll be solid ice by the morning.

Posted

3cm of snow here (used a ruler) not just my eyesight this year! + More to come lovely

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

3cm of snow here (used a ruler) not just my eyesight this year! + More to come lovely

You used eyesight last year? No wonder everyone else in Teesside had half the amount of snow that you had! Anyway, it looks as though Teesside just has the edge on snow amounts this time :diablo:

Posted

You used eyesight last year? No wonder everyone else in Teesside had half the amount of snow that you had! Anyway, it looks as though Teesside just has the edge on snow amounts this time :diablo:

Yup lol :p And knew it would lol and 2 more hours to come hopefully more woop! :D

Posted

Yup lol :p And knew it would lol and 2 more hours to come hopefully more woop! :D

This must be the first time in years that Newcastle has been beaten by Middlesbrough in the snow department! Altitude seems to have also been important - I'm about 40m higher than Heaton and the City Centre and that seems to have made the difference tonight.

In fact, I'm to take a picture in case nobody believes be it snowed as it seems that a lot have missed out!

Edited by alza

Posted

This must be the first time in years that Newcastle has been beaten by Middlesbrough in the snow department! Altitude seems to have also been important - I'm about 40m higher than Heaton and the City Centre and that seems to have made the difference tonight.

Lol it did a year or two ago it did when a easterly brought a massive snow band over teesside and i got a foot I remember it quite well :D I tried to take a picture but too dark

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Lol it did a year or two ago it did when a easterly brought a massive snow band over teesside and i got a foot I remember it quite well :D

Ah, that was Jan 2010, but Newcastle already had a foot - Teesside only had a decent cover for a couple of days as a thaw set in a couple of days later, whilst Newcastle had a thick cover for 10 days! It all started with that fantastic snowfall on New Years Day - only Nov 2010 has given a better fall of snow here in my lifetime.

Posted

Boo hoo, really disappointing but not totally unexpected. While everyone else got worked up this week, I found it hard to get enthused over the model output for this region.No snow cover at all here, just the ice, which is dangerous and has novelty value, but NO SNOW COVER , not even 1 mm !!

Oh well, there's next weekend to watch now, need a NE tilt to any Euro attack, then yer talking !!

Karl

reason for edit - spelling mistake lol

Theres a covering of hail/ice pellets/snizzle so surely there is some like that in Ryton? I guess the last two hours has been an improvment on what we had all day in terms of covering but I did had a feeling that milder bubble of air will cost us and to some extent it has and it was only lower air temps which saved us from having just a wet ground.

Been a very good freezing rain event, don't think I've really experienced one of those for proper and they are probably quite rare in the UK but in terms of a snow event, then all during this week its been a big dissapointment and a very big opportunity missed especially as most other parts of the country will face a proper snow event tonight

Despite what you are reading in the model thread atm, the UKMO is NOT a snowy chart, we will experience conditions rather similar as of this week but it only needs to have the high further North to get that main bit of instability to hit us and we will be in the fun and games. Of course, it could change completely but one to keep an eye on.

Posted

Ah, that was Jan 2010, but Newcastle already had a foot - Teesside only had a decent cover for a couple of days as a thaw set in a couple of days later, whilst Newcastle had a thick cover for 10 days! It all started with that fantastic snowfall on New Years Day - only Nov 2010 has given a better fall of snow here in my lifetime.

Yup I remember waking up on the Sunday morning devastated

Posted

Nope, us Aycliffers are best. I just went out to the car and it covered my shoes. 8cm, still lightly snowing.

Edited by Ricky92

Posted

Yup I remember waking up on the Sunday morning devastated

So, can you find me a time when Teesside had more than Newcastle??

Posted

So, can you find me a time when Teesside had more than Newcastle??

Nope lol this makes this event even more special but im sure there will have been plenty of times over the years

Posted

Here's a poor quality picture to prove that I have snow. 2.5cm on hard surfaces, but is impossible to measure properly on the grass.

post-9381-0-75770000-1328382999_thumb.jp

Nope lol this makes this event even more special but im sure there will have been plenty of times over the years

Well enjoy it, you should have another hour until it eases off. :)

Posted

Here's a poor quality picture to prove that I have snow. 2.5cm on hard surfaces, but is impossible to measure properly on the grass.

post-9381-0-75770000-1328382999_thumb.jp

Well enjoy it, you should have another hour until it eases off. :)

I am just went in yard and threw a snowball against the wall with the snow falling around me ahhh :D Wish this could just stall and stay here all night

Posted

Really? From 1cm level here to 8 cms a few miles away? Radar didn't suggest that.

Well I haven't measured, but it "looks" 7 or 8cm so it could be 5cm, could be 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

The freezing rain before the snow was immense, never witnessed anything like that before!

A covering is better than now't I suppose.