Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Far North Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Ha ha,i think me and you are the same person Andy163,my misses has just texted me to say that it was snowing hard down 'street'.

Andy

LMAO its shocking enough to find another person from Jarrow on here (apart from Liz), and even more shocking to find out you're called Andy too! haha

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Radar showing some heavier ppn heading towards Newcastle in the next 30 mins........

I do hope so as it is now very light and only the slightest of covering even up here and that is from almost an hour of the stuff. Hopefully the warmer sector when it hits the cold will bring larger wetter flakes as the first batch is bone dry and teeny flakes. The cold ground should help with ensuring it sticks around. Temp dropping to -2.3C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Looks like the fronts are merging now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Looks like the fronts are merging now.

Alza can you tell me what we could expect when the fronts merge? Would PPN intensify? I am seriously hoping so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A lull here in which freezing rain and sleet has been falling, with a few snow flakes floating about, covering still in tact. Hopefully the heavier precip will be snow, a couple of cm's would be likely on the snow-covered surface here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

You can see on the Satellite animation below that we are now half way through the front but nothing is falling from the sky atm.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

A lull here in which freezing rain and sleet has been falling, with a few snow flakes floating about, covering still in tact. Hopefully the heavier precip will be snow, a couple of cm's would be likely on the snow-covered surface here.

Radar doesn't look great atm... are you expecting it to intensify later? And if so, why? Cheers! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I think the upper air temp may be melting the flakes of snow, which are then freezing into rain like hail when it hits the lower surface temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Still below 1C around Lancaster and Morecambe according to Weather Underground.

Just had a sharp fall of ice pellets at Cleadon which temporarily whitened parts of the ground. I haven't often seen ice pellets over the years, but they are essentially frozen rain or sleet, indicating that the cold air near the surface is cold enough to enable the raindrops (melted by a warmer pool of air aloft) to re-freeze as they are falling rather than upon impact as per freezing rain.

I see others have been commenting on a similar thing.

Posted

Still below 1C around Lancaster and Morecambe according to Weather Underground.

Just had a sharp fall of ice pellets at Cleadon which temporarily whitened parts of the ground. I haven't often seen ice pellets over the years, but they are essentially frozen rain or sleet, indicating that the cold air near the surface is cold enough to enable the raindrops (melted by a warmer pool of air aloft) to re-freeze as they are falling rather than upon impact as per freezing rain.

I see others have been commenting on a similar thing.

What are your thoughts re. later TWS? Back to snow and some intensifying once the front occludes?

Posted

Tweet from Liam Dutton that the front is yet to occlude and when it does we'll have more snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Just asked BT to come and give an analysis in here for us re the occluded front etc..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was thinking that the milder air associated with the cold front would turn precipitation to sleet/rain at low levels, but it seems that surface temperatures (away from western coastal fringes) are fine for falling and lying snow and that the issue is a pool of warmer air high up. Cleadon is currently at 0.1C which under normal circumstances would mean falling and lying snow regardless of how wet or warm the ground was.

I think the precipitation will indeed intensify tonight as the front occludes, but I think it's anyone's guess as to whether it will be mostly snow, sleet, ice pellets or freezing rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It's game on for you guys as the warm & cold front merge into an occluded front.

The triple point is likely to be over the Midlands intensifying precipitation as it moves Eastwards. The further South you are, the better as the precipitation will be heavier = evaporative cooling = better chance of snow.

The further north, the precipitation will be lighter, and you will feel the full effects of the warm sector as the precipitation eases off.

Just as a guide line: It started as freezing rain here with an air temperature of -2.5C, a dewpoint of -4.9C and a wetbulb temperature of -2.4C.

Elevation should really help you here. Loftus southwards will do okay, probably a covering of snow/grauple.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

-0.5c here with very light hail. I was out in the car a little earlier and some of the roads are lethal as the conditions have created black ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The radar is starting to look disappointing.

Posted

I was thinking that the milder air associated with the cold front would turn precipitation to sleet/rain at low levels, but it seems that surface temperatures (away from western coastal fringes) are fine for falling and lying snow and that the issue is a pool of warmer air high up. Cleadon is currently at 0.1C which under normal circumstances would mean falling and lying snow regardless of how wet or warm the ground was.

I think the precipitation will indeed intensify tonight as the front occludes, but I think it's anyone's guess as to whether it will be mostly snow, sleet, ice pellets or freezing rain!

Rain just started to revert to snow and sleet,our temperature remains the same as yours at Cleadon 0.1c.

Posted

The radar is starting to look disappointing.

I agree, but the models at 12z are insistent that it will last - and intensify - until about 9pm.

Posted

The North East rearely if ever fares well from frontal snow coming from the west.

I see no reason to suggest this 'event' will prove me wrong, but I'd be jolly happy if it did!

It won't happen though, I can see it moving through northern England relatively quickly with only a brief period of heavier snow - a couple of inches maybe - less than that for many.

At least we'll see the snow arrive through daylight hours - It will be 'pretty'

You can't say it *wont* happen. You can say you think it won't/

Live and learn