Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North Of England - Regional Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

What's this wet stuff falling from the sky?

Posted

Last week was one of my 'perfect' types of weather.... pleasantly warm, not too hot, lots of sunshine and because it was still March, a quick cooling down overnight, so you didn't suffer the hot humid sticky nights you can sometimes get during high summer. However another reason why I love UK's weather is that it's so quickly changeable. Hence a very different week coming up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

It's been a great weekend in the Lakes for walking, around 15C with almost unbroken sunshine yesterday, but now I'm back in Newcastle and hoping for some snow. Tomorrow evening should be our best chance as I doubt the showers on Wednesday will be snow for long as the cold uppers are mixed out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, I had been looking forward to 24-36 hours of sunshine and snow showers... but a last-minute change from GFS has produced a frontal "staller" across the region giving persistent rain/sleet near the coast and possible snow inland.

We still have to wait for the UKMO and ECMWF of course but in my experience the models often do underdo frontal activity in these sort of situations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I doubt the snow will stick in newcastle because the ground is too warm for it by recent warm weather. It be likely be wet snow or freezing rain.

The sun is strong enough to melt the lying snow even during cloudy periods.

I wont call this a snow event.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Warm (or wet) ground is a factor that can hinder snow accumulations but most people vastly overestimate its significance- the biggest factors are the air temperature and the dew point and how heavy the snow is. If the snow is heavy enough, at low enough temperatures, it will settle regardless of how warm/wet the ground is.

The biggest barrier to lying snow across the region appears to be mixing out of the cold air from the SE associated with the frontal system.

Posted

Well, I had been looking forward to 24-36 hours of sunshine and snow showers... but a last-minute change from GFS has produced a frontal "staller" across the region giving persistent rain/sleet near the coast and possible snow inland.

We still have to wait for the UKMO and ECMWF of course but in my experience the models often do underdo frontal activity in these sort of situations.

The UKMO/ECM looks similar to me and I have to admit I was dissapointed when I viewed the charts because now we are looking at a cloudier wetter and cold set up instead of the brighter convective stuff but the models have struggled on how quick this low heads southwards!

Oh well, bring on the driech weather! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I doubt the snow will stick in newcastle because the ground is too warm for it by recent warm weather. It be likely be wet snow or freezing rain.

The sun is strong enough to melt the lying snow even during cloudy periods.

I wont call this a snow event.

I dont see how it could possibly freezing rain, freezing rain is surely when the uppers are warm but the surface air / ground are below freezing??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Its unlikely the snow will last all day in the north east, it will give about 2-5cm at the lowlands and 5-10cm on higher places. It will only 2-3 hrs of snow. Then they all be melted by the time at sunset.

I dont see how it could possibly freezing rain, freezing rain is surely when the uppers are warm but the surface air / ground are below freezing??

its still possible because snow is harder to forecast than rain.

Theres 80% chance not gonna snow at the west side of pennines. I felt it in my gut.

Posted

Its unlikely the snow will last all day in the north east, it will give about 2-5cm at the lowlands and 5-10cm on higher places. It will only 2-3 hrs of snow. Then they all be melted by the time at sunset.

its still possible because snow is harder to forecast than rain.

Theres 80% chance not gonna snow at the west side of pennines. I felt it in my gut.

Mixed messages in the forecasts at the moment, BBC keeps downgrading all the time, the met office does show snow for quite a while for my area, there is not a PPN type chart on the MO but if you look at the temps, they are below freezing at the same time as some heavy PPN.

This has got Jan 2004 written all over it for somewhere IMO, the decision about when to send the gritters out tommorow could be crucial, to early and the grit gets washed away by rain before it turns to snow, too late and they could get stuck.

Posted

http://www.weatheron...ad&DAY=20120402

Another spring heatwave coming up? If the high pressure did build to the south then thats looking good

KEEP IT COMING!! SCREW THE SNOW!! :D :D

If it is it be another 2003 style hot summer. Wildfires by Mid-April. And scorching hot wall-to-wall sunshine most of August. :)

Posted

A marked temperature drop as we go through the day tomorrow,and what a contrast to last week!

Winds coming in from Scandinavia,and it ain't gonna be warm there tomorrow either. :cold:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

http://www.weatheron...ad&DAY=20120402

Another spring heatwave coming up? If the high pressure did build to the south then thats looking good

KEEP IT COMING!! SCREW THE SNOW!! :D :D

If it is it be another 2003 style hot summer. Wildfires by Mid-April. And scorching hot wall-to-wall sunshine most of August. :)

You actually want wildfires?

You can keep the scorching hot sunshine in Spain thanks, and I'll take the snow.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Had some rain pass though during the past couple of hours, first for about a fortnight, lovely fresh smell in the air!

Be interesting to see if it snows tomorrow, although I hope it doesn't last long, I'm in summer mode now after last week.

Posted

The slightest of spits and spots today - blink and you missed them affair, which now means 14 days with no precipitation. I'm surprised how dry we stayed today.

Tomorrow will be an interesting one, the frontal feature looks like developing a wave on it and becoming slow moving as it hits our region, which will pep up the precipitation. Places above 300m should get a fair covering by the end of the day, places between 150m - 250m could see a temporary covering for a time - slushy deposits, I doubt anywhere below 150m will get anything other than the slightest of coverings, but these types of set ups often throw a surprise and who knows we may be reading lots of posts this time tomorrow saying we have snow cover..

Wednesday looks a raw bitter day with a biting NE wind and very cold uppers - could be some heavy wintry showers near east coasts.

What a difference from this time next week when we were all rejoicing in summer. I do love April for its two faces, when summer and winter can show there hand in the space of 3-4 days. It can be a fascinating month synoptic wise, offering very unusual fayre.. but recent Aprils' have been benign beasts, we've been waiting all season for a potent northerly, better late than never!

Posted

NAE says borderline for me, probably a no, i still say places like Buxton, and especially edale and around the hope woodlands and the higher ground of Sheffield could have some very tricky conditions, Snake pass odds on to be closed or at least nearly impassable.

12040400_0218.gif

Posted

The slightest of spits and spots today - blink and you missed them affair, which now means 14 days with no precipitation. I'm surprised how dry we stayed today.

Tomorrow will be an interesting one, the frontal feature looks like developing a wave on it and becoming slow moving as it hits our region, which will pep up the precipitation. Places above 300m should get a fair covering by the end of the day, places between 150m - 250m could see a temporary covering for a time - slushy deposits, I doubt anywhere below 150m will get anything other than the slightest of coverings, but these types of set ups often throw a surprise and who knows we may be reading lots of posts this time tomorrow saying we have snow cover..

Wednesday looks a raw bitter day with a biting NE wind and very cold uppers - could be some heavy wintry showers near east coasts.

What a difference from this time next week when we were all rejoicing in summer. I do love April for its two faces, when summer and winter can show there hand in the space of 3-4 days. It can be a fascinating month synoptic wise, offering very unusual fayre.. but recent Aprils' have been benign beasts, we've been waiting all season for a potent northerly, better late than never!

last week?

Posted

Check out this loop from Sat24

http://www.sat24.com/foreloop.aspx?type=1

Shows snow quite widespread in our region..

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/leeds_forecast_weather.html

Heavy snow forecast by the Met Office now - big improvement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I live at 330m in a place called Queensbury so i think i may get something later on today. Admittedly i prefer warmth and storms by this time of the year but if winter wants one last bite then i'm all up for it :)

Posted

Nice snowy scenes on traffic scotland cams, hope we get a covering later this evening......fingers crossed!

I was'nt too confident before but im liking this very much, if this heavy PPN makes it this far, you will be on the right side of marginal for sure,

12040406_0306.gif

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

A cold wet day here. Hope everyone is well. :)