Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

Hi guys, I shall be getting the train to Chester tomorrow from London euston to collect my new car.

It's roasting here currently in west London. 26c maybe upto 28c later

I here Chester could be hotter than London tomorrow which is a rarity thanks to an easterly wind.

I Look forward to visiting the North west. Never been north of Milton Keynes before... Lol

I seriously doubt it will be hotter than london, but further inland yes, but not towards the west coast, since i cant see that westerly variable wind disappearing at all, seems to live here all year round lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Altanhara in Scotland is the place to be, minus double digits in winter and a lot of snow, 25c+ in summer

Posted

There's a bit of breeze and we are hovering around 22C a bit cooler than yesterday.

I've noticed we often get a late peak as winds die away round 5pm so could go higher yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

A max of 24.9c today , warmest day of the year...currently 21.2c

Posted

Often May warm spells bring the warmest conditions to western and northwestern parts thanks to them being associated with easterly winds. We are far more likely to see the current synoptics now than in July and August when our heatwaves normally come courtesy of azores highs and southerly plums favouring the east and south east more in terms of high temps.

However, I am quite suprised to see some May records being broken in Scotland, there have been many other Mays' with similiar synoptics - what is so special about this one? Its not as if the N Sea is any warmer this May than usual nor scandi - or the fact we have warm ground temps, what is even more perplexing is the fact high ground was warmer than low ground - very unusual.

Posted

What I am surprised about more than anything else, is the low humidity. Currently running at only 44% with a temperature of 25.2C. Normally with such temperatures here, humidity is typically around 85/90%.

We'd better make the most of this, Last June we topped on 15C right through the Month here, and the rain, it was almost non stop.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

It's 44% here too now, but was 30% earlier - but it has been very humid previous days.

Visibility is much better today and it's really quite windy out in the open with gusts to 22mph

Posted

Temperature of 25.2C has been maintained. Wind is having a small effect on the temperature. At the same time, the humidity continues to drop, now at 41%.

I cannot say I remember seeing a temperature of this value with humidity this low, even going through my notes I see nothing. This is quite a rarity..normally because of the close proximity to the Irish sea it normally keeps the humidity up not down. Never have seen Humidity this low here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Reached 24c, much lower than the north west. Highest May temp I ever recorded since I began recording in 2007 was 28C, in 2010. I wonder what the Leeds record is? Hmm..

Posted

Max of 27.1c here today, breeze picked up in the afternoon but that didn't spoil things , looking forward to a repeat tomorrow

Posted

Reached 24c, much lower than the north west. Highest May temp I ever recorded since I began recording in 2007 was 28C, in 2010. I wonder what the Leeds record is? Hmm..

Leeds Weather Centre recorded 28.5C on 14th May 1992, which is probably a good bet. Certainly that was the warmest May day here (26.9C), just beating 2010 (26.7C).

Those are the only two days that have surpassed 25C in May here since 1981.

Posted

Still 14.3C despite NE wind, really quite surprising a wind off the sea is this warm in May.

Very different to last few nights which have turned foggy, humidity is about 66%.

Posted

Leeds Weather Centre recorded 28.5C on 14th May 1992, which is probably a good bet. Certainly that was the warmest May day here (26.9C), just beating 2010 (26.7C).

Thanks for that - shame Leeds has no weather data that goes back more than 25 years.

Posted

I would have thought 25 degrees was breached in early May 1990, many places saw maxima in the high 20s if I am correct, with London hitting 30 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and humid with some thunderstorms plus some snow too.

Hi,

Haven't posted on here for a bit of a while but I have decided to post on here today because it was actually 25C outside but it certainly felt over 30 warmer than any day during this spell so far and I am even feeling the early stages of heat exhaustion which is quite uncomfortable (cramps, headaches etc. - and I don't normally get it even in 35C heat in Spain).

Not a bad spell of weather and it certainly beats a lot of the weather we have had to put up with in summer over the last few years. As for the cooler weather expected next week, is it true that as we are a maritime/oceanic climate rather than a mediterranean one even the best of summers contain cool and/or unsettled periods e.g. I think there was some coolish weather in the Junes of 1983, 1989, 1990 and 1995 and of course 1975 and in 2006 August was pretty Atlantic dominated - so do even our best summers contain at least some cool and or wet? - all those were very good summers for this country.

I am hoping for some good summer weather this year but one thing that concerns me a bit is that Nick (bluearmy) over on TWO has hinted that the NAEFS longer range ensembles have hinted at a NW/SW spit developing similar to recent summers with the SE and nearby mainland Europe getting hot and settled weather but with the NW of the UK being more unsettled - I really hope that doesn't verify for our area as it seems to have happened to much in recent summers were we get the muck and the SE and most of the rest of Europe is warm/hot - what do you think?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Yet another absolutely belting day here in Newcastle, had a drive up to the airport earlier and the sun was so strong it burnt the father-in-law within 45 minutes.

Shame it's looking like breaking up midweek however we still have a serious drought situation in many areas of the UK so it will be nice to make sure this doesn't worsen.

Posted

Hi,

Haven't posted on here for a bit of a while but I have decided to post on here today because it was actually 25C outside but it certainly felt over 30 warmer than any day during this spell so far and I am even feeling the early stages of heat exhaustion which is quite uncomfortable (cramps, headaches etc. - and I don't normally get it even in 35C heat in Spain).

Not a bad spell of weather and it certainly beats a lot of the weather we have had to put up with in summer over the last few years. As for the cooler weather expected next week, is it true that as we are a maritime/oceanic climate rather than a mediterranean one even the best of summers contain cool and/or unsettled periods e.g. I think there was some coolish weather in the Junes of 1983, 1989, 1990 and 1995 and of course 1975 and in 2006 August was pretty Atlantic dominated - so do even our best summers contain at least some cool and or wet? - all those were very good summers for this country.

I am hoping for some good summer weather this year but one thing that concerns me a bit is that Nick (bluearmy) over on TWO has hinted that the NAEFS longer range ensembles have hinted at a NW/SW spit developing similar to recent summers with the SE and nearby mainland Europe getting hot and settled weather but with the NW of the UK being more unsettled - I really hope that doesn't verify for our area as it seems to have happened to much in recent summers were we get the muck and the SE and most of the rest of Europe is warm/hot - what do you think?

Luke

June is usually always a wet month (June 2011, every single day was wet, and temperatures never got above 15C IMBY) along with the very beginning of July. August in the North West is the hottest month. September for the most part is usually dry and warm until the end of the month before it becomes wet and very unsettled.

2010 June and July below average temperatures

2011 June and July ditto (June top temp just 15C)

It's Ironic because I remember saying to my wife, Christmas day 2011 was actually warmer than the entirety of June 2011.

I think if your looking for warmer / hotter weather, I think your going to need to head South, towards Kent, where it's not just hot it's also bone dry too.

I always look at any excessive heat as an abberation, because it's not the norm to see temperatures every single day in the first two months (June and July) to be at 20C+ as an average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Are there any records on the longest consecutive period of unbroken sunshine? just interested....the first few cumulus clouds in nearly 7 days are dotted about in the sky now (IMBY) and this strikes me as remarkable for the North-east...certainly cant remember unbroken sunshine for as many consecutive days as this, even in winter.

Posted

June is usually always a wet month (June 2011, every single day was wet, and temperatures never got above 15C IMBY) along with the very beginning of July.

It's Ironic because I remember saying to my wife, Christmas day 2011 was actually warmer than the entirety of June 2011.

I don't remember June 2011 being anything like that. Are you seriously saying that it never got above 15C once? It got to 26C on one day at Liverpool that month. If it was that cool, it would have been the coldest June on record. I think your memory is faulty here with all due respect.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Max of 27.1c here today, breeze picked up in the afternoon but that didn't spoil things , looking forward to a repeat tomorrow

27.5c yesterday which was the hottest so far...but today has beaten it with a 28.3c ...which is amazing but somewhat tempered by the fact i was at work and it dropped to 23.6c by the time i got homesorry.gif

Edited by Spurry

Posted

I don't remember June 2011 being anything like that. Are you seriously saying that it never got above 15C once? It got to 26C on one day at Liverpool that month. If it was that cool, it would have been the coldest June on record. I think your memory is faulty here with all due respect.

Blatant trolling, obviously. There was a two day hot spell at the end of June for England and Wales, temperatures exceeding 30 degrees in northern England (such as Doncaster)

Also by July average maximum temperatures for the likes of Manchester and Sheffield are close to 21C.. between 1986 and 2003, the average maximum temperature for Leeds in July was around 21.2C..

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Blatant trolling, obviously. There was a two day hot spell at the end of June for England and Wales, temperatures exceeding 30 degrees in northern England (such as Doncaster)

Also by July average maximum temperatures for the likes of Manchester and Sheffield are close to 21C.. between 1986 and 2003, the average maximum temperature for Leeds in July was around 21.2C..

Here's my site stats for June 2011

Only five days did not exceed 15C and there were hot days early and late in the month.

http://weather.weste...taout62011.html

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This spell is probably over already as far as Cleadon is concerned- the sea fog that came in this afternoon has lifted into stratocumulus and I don't see this shifting easily over the next two days.