Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Yes, of course.. maybe I am just ultra sensitive to cool temperatures indoors..

Fair enough.

I suppose some of us are more willing to put up with the cold than others. This thread is an eye opener though, no wonder the energy companies are making so much money! :)

I find that if the room goes above 20c then it gets too warm for me. Nothing worse than sweating on a leather sofa!!

I must add, I am not overweight either, 6ft and 11 stone :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I get too warm in my house and too cool all too often - I prefer being too cool though, I hate hate HATE sweating on my leather sofa.. yuck.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Went to see the missus' parents this weekend and their house is so hot I was melting! Thermometer said 25.5c which would be ok if the outdoor temperature matched - turned out their heating was playing up so when making hot water it was heating rooms too. Not nice.

Coming home it was 18.9c which gladly made it just to 20c after cooking dinner. The lack of sun & cold wind today will mean it'll be more like 17-18c when I get in.

Posted

I've just got back from manchester airport after doing some aviation photography, and I can honestly say I can't take much more of this weather now. Not getting above 12c atm, driving cold rain and a biting wind. This would be a poor day in october, never mind July...Seriously fed up.

I've just got back from manchester airport after doing some aviation photography, and I can honestly say I can't take much more of this weather now. Not getting above 12c atm, driving cold rain and a biting wind. This would be a poor day in october, never mind July...Seriously fed up.

Have you been to the pub at the end of the runway were the wing tips of the bigger planes almost come over the top of the fence in the beer garden, spent a few warm summer afternoons there watching plane after plane queue up then getting a bit of jet blast as you have a beer

Bet you were wishing you on one to sunnier climes whilst there

Edited by IanR

Posted

As much as I like, respect and appreciate just about all forms of our weather this continuos run of days with rain, cloud cover and limited sunshine and warmth is getting a frustrating. If we get a run of days where we get more hours of sunshine than rainfall then that would be great and any sunny day or two in this current set-up would be very welcome although I would much rather we would have a change in our current pattern to something else that's different from what we've got now and preferably with a lot more settled and warm conditions.

Posted

Round my parts growing seems to be OK - but then I think we've been lucky with some drier periods than other areas sometimes lasting two or three days, albeit with a light shower. My veg are fine. Although I'm fed up with loads of low cloud and cool weather I think other more northerly forumites would be much happier with the weather down these parts.

Posted

The subarctic summer continues with another day of conditions as repugnant as it's possible to get. Sunless with horrific temperatures, drizzle/light rain and fog. Everything you’d except in a typical day in Tierra del Fuegobad.gif

A max of 12.1C and a good part of the day it was just 11C. Wore my big winter duffel coat to work and central heating is on again. Barely been off for the past 18 months due to the exceptional lack of summer warmth and sunshine. Already I’ve shut the curtains to try and keep the heat in. Just a complete waste of the light evenings wallbash.gif

This is what this sick joke of a summer has produced so far :-

Mean Max: 2.8C below average

Days warmer than average: 3/32

Rainfall: 185% of average

Days with Rain: 25/32

Sunshine: 58% of average

Days with less than 1.5 hour sun (i.e. duller than an average winter day): 18/32

Days with dominant W/WSW/SW wind: 0/32

This is easily the worst start to a summer within living memory. Even summer 2007, at this stage, was over 1C warmer with far more dry days. 1916 is possibly the only other year to have been as comparably cold, dull and wet.

Unbelieavbly the outlook is no better possibly even worse. Vile south easterlies bringing more of the same depressing garbage for the rest of the week. then north easterlies promise to deliver a local holiday weekend washout every bit as sunless and miserable as last years help.gif

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

I'm struggling to remember when I last experienced a complete dry sunny day - late May perhaps? We've had a few dry days so far this summer, but these have often been cloudy affairs, preventing temperatures climbing to even average levels.

The combination of persistently poor maximum temps and lack of sunshine has made for an exceptionally dissapointing start to summer 2012, throw in the amount of rain we have endured and it has so far been abymsal, easuily one of the worse starts to summer in living memory, coming on the back of a preety poor May overall and a very wet April, I think many have the right to be grumbling about the summer so far.

At least we can't complain about the drought any more - I said back in April how historically lengthy dry periods often come to a pronounced abrupt end, with very wet period then setting in - this happened in summer 1992, summer 1997 and summer 2007 and now it seems late spring/summer 2012. What is also notable is how very wet periods have occured after notably dry/very mild/warm months\seasons and vice versa - see below:

One of the wettest winters on record in 1994/95 and incidentally mild winters was followed by the wintry March which was then followed by the exceptional warm summer of 1995.

Tthe very wet summer of 1997 followed a very dry/mild March and April.

The very wet summer of 2007 came on the back of an exceptionally mild winter which culiminated in the very warm dry April 2007.

Now this period of weather has come on the back of a very mild sunny dry period between mid Feb and late March.

It is uncanny how just when the hosepipe bans were introduced the heavens opened, and they haven't stopped since only taking a short break in late May - 3 months of very wet weather have now occured, with the wettest April-June period on record, somehow this doesn't feel like a Nov 2009 event which came admist an 'average' period - this does feel like the start of a lengthy very wet period - and its been a long time since we had a very wet autumn...

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Nature will of course balance out this run of dire summers with a return to good (from my perspective) ones again. That or we'll end up with mild winters coupled with cool summers a lot more which I'm sure would not suit many except those who can only operate over a very narrow range of temperatures.

I feel for the farmers I really do. As a gardener myself I've seen how dry it was in early spring and since then we've had low temperatures and very little sunlight. Things just don't grow without energy. Expect food (and beer!) prices to shoot up this year. I'm just hoping we get a drier/sunnier August so at least what harvest we do get will not just rot in the fields.

I know some of you don't like warmth & sun but if this were a more longing trend it would be a disaster for our farming & tourist industry it really would.

Not sure about lack of growth to be honest.

Lifted some early potatoes at the weekend and they were absolutely huge, had to chop them to get them in the steamer, whereas normally they're only slightly above golf-ball size at this time of year.

Also the field of barley down the road is almost waist-high already, so that's growing well. It will need some sun to ripen it next month though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Oh of course this wet spel would come to an end, i will tell u when that's gona happen its gona be from november to next april, i bet u the pv wil be very healthy come winter. This weather is really getting to me.

Posted

Oh of course this wet spel would come to an end, i will tell u when that's gona happen its gona be from november to next april, i bet u the pv wil be very healthy come winter. This weather is really getting to me.

A healthy PV in the winter usually means an atlantic dominated winter for our neck of the woods, though other factors can overide the effects of a PV. We had a very strong PV in December which enabled very wet stormy conditions to prevail albeit SE parts were drier, indeed a strong PV usually means a strong northern arm of the jet, meaning southern parts can be quite dry, but the north gets a soaking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i agree i hope we don't get another mild winter again this year. 13-15c some how doesn't fiel rite towards the end of december. We need the sun most of my plants have had it. Maybe we should reopen the beyond summer thread again, because this surely doesn't fiel summery lol. I couldn't give a crap if we don't c another t-storm this summer i'm just fed up with the rain and cloudy rubbish.

Posted

Dispiriting isn't it? I've always adhered to the maxim that the longer a weather pattern lasts, the more likely it is to break. No such luck here. It's almost as though half-decent weather in summer isn't allowed any more. A settled spring? You'll have to pay for it with an unsettled summer. An unsettled spring? Erm, you'll get an unsettled summer anyway!

I'm dreading a mild winter.

Posted

The 18z is so horrific that words fail me, thankgod im heading to Portugal this weekend as this weather has really depressed me, having SAD and needing the sunlamp on in the summer is just ridiculous considering the length of the days but it really has been incredibly dark and dull here almost everyday.

On top of that the timing of these weather fronts has been shockingly poor, yet again tonight come sunset the skies cleared after a whole day of rain, then bam fresh rain on the way for the morning followed by another dry night then another band of rain Wednesday?

Posted

Seconded, that man! This is without doubt the best start to any summer I can remember from my particular point of view. I too can barely believe it's lasting so long, I'm almost becoming hopeful it will turn into another 1954 or 1956- the summer equivalent of winter 1963 or 1979.

Are you liking this summer because it's cool, or because it's wet, or because it's not sunny? I like cool summers, and I'm not bothered about the sun, but the incessant rain limits outdoor activities unless you are covered in waterproofs, and the garden is so sodden, gardening is almost impossible.

Posted

I love rainfall, even though in summer I'd prefer most of the rainfall to come in the form of convective torrential downpours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I like rain too (esp from storms) but I prefer my rain to be mostly outside May-August period and not at 0800-0830 or 1700-1730 Monday to Friday!

If I could choose my rainy periods I'd go for October-early December and January-March with most of it falling weekdays at night.

Summer rain should be short, sharp, stormy and not on days I've planned stuff!

Posted

The thing is, if I had my way, only snow would fall between December and March! blum.gif

Posted

Yes winter rainfall is allowed to fall as snow! Although generally to get snowfall we need cold air here which generally comes from a dry source limiting somewhat the rainfall available.

Besides, a winter that stays cold enough for snow start to finish would be too much for most people.

Posted

I've experienced a 'true' winter in Toronto, and I never got tired of it, just like some people never tire of heat in Spain or Greece. A winter with rain and snow will result in a lot of slush which is not nice. I'd rather have thick snow all the time with a shining sun.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unlike many I've been pinning a lot of hopes on the possible brighter weather mid to late week with an emphasis on slow moving thundery downpours- but on the other hand, with today yet again turning out overcast after a bright start, inhibiting both warm sunshine and convection, my hopes are starting to dwindle.

I think the dull wet nature of June for me was tempered by the fact that I moved away from coastal Tyneside to inland N Yorkshire after midmonth and the climate does seem rather warmer down here, even though most days have continued cloudy and damp apart from a brighter showery interlude at the very end of June. I certainly remember getting fed up of the weather we had in Tyneside in the first half of the month though!

As for snow in winter, I do think a long severe winter would get too much for most people- even many of the ardent snow fans that I know were having their tolerance thresholds pushed at the back end of December 2010. For me, I can generally enjoy cold and snow up until the point when the snow turns icy, and then after a while I start hoping for a temporary thaw to remove the ice- thus I would rather any milder interludes be genuinely mild, rather than merely less cold leading to a slushy mess.

Posted

Guess it depends on your definition of severe. I get the impression most people on here would call Toronto's winters severe, but I certainly wouldn't, they are pretty tame and often lack a lot of snow.. I think, if you eventually found December 2010 to be tiring due to the snow, then you probably don't like snow as much as you think you do.

Until you experience a winter season with over 200cm of snow present from December until March with temperatures as low as -20C (like I did in 2006/2007), then you probably won't know your threshold.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I liked December 2010 just to see how low the temperature got.

We didn't get much snow anyway (couple cm or so). The lethal ice and heating bills were my main complaint!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Are you liking this summer because it's cool, or because it's wet, or because it's not sunny? I like cool summers, and I'm not bothered about the sun, but the incessant rain limits outdoor activities unless you are covered in waterproofs, and the garden is so sodden, gardening is almost impossible.

Primarily because it's so wet, I get almost as much of a kick out watching the rainfall total stack up as I do watching snow accumulate. If it's cold it's an added bonus but I can tolerate warmth if it spawns torrential downpours.

The lack of sunshine is the icing on the cake because, working outdoors, it means I rarely get too hot and never have to wear sun block, let alone my deep fascination with extremes at the 'unpopular' end of the meteorological spectrum.