Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Primarily because it's so wet, I get almost as much of a kick out watching the rainfall total stack up as I do watching snow accumulate. If it's cold it's an added bonus but I can tolerate warmth if it spawns torrential downpours.

The lack of sunshine is the icing on the cake because, working outdoors, it means I rarely get too hot and never have to wear sun block, let alone my deep fascination with extremes at the 'unpopular' end of the meteorological spectrum.

I'm the same. May aswell like the rain because we get so much of it here in the valleys one would probably go mad otherwise. blink.png

Posted

Today is proving once again how elusive the sunny dry day is becoming this summer. We have had no rain (so far), but unfortunately we have had alot of cloud with only tantislisingly brief glimpses of sunshine preventing temps climbing much above 18-19 degrees.

When the sun has come out for any lengthy periods so far this summer it has in turn helped trigger off convection cloud and therefore heavy showers and downpours.

As long as we maintain an atlantic feed of air - at this time of year the atmosphere will remain very unstable, and often sunshine helps to trigger off deep convection, by July and certainly August, sunny mornings often quickly descend into cloudy middays and afternoons, only to then turn into sunny evenings, this isn't the case in spring and early summer - sunshine levels on average tend to dwindle from there June peak from now on especially away from the coast. What we need is a strong ridge development or preferably an import of some drier air from the near continent (north east- east-south east quadrant, not from a southerly quadrant as this normally means plume events and those hefty downpours). The northern hemisphere for the foreseeable future is not going to be conducive to an import of air from between north east and south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Come winter i bet we wil end up with mild and windy crap like last winter oh how i would love a repete of 2010 winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The issue of convective cloud building up after a dry sunny start, hitting an inversion and spreading into stratocumulus is characteristic of stable but moist conditions, such as via the tropical maritime airflows we get to the north of high pressure. I think the main reason why it is more common in north-west England in July and August is primarily due to the higher frequency of westerlies, and higher tendency for anticyclonic spells to be dominated by Azores Highs ridging across the south rather than individual anticyclones sitting on top of the British Isles and sending drier continental air in. Of course if conditions are unstable then that's when we get sunny starts leading into a mix of sun and showers.

Thus Damianslaw is right to highlight stable dry conditions as being optimal for producing a lot of dry sunny weather. The main issue with airmasses from the NE/E/SE is that they can pick up a lot of moisture from the North Sea bringing low cloud into eastern areas, although as we saw during late May this year (when sea fog was largely confined to extreme east-coast fringes with other areas remarkably clear and sunny), that isn't always the case.

A southerly type won't necessarily generate many plume-type thunderstorms if pressure remains high with only a weak or distant Atlantic trough- quite often the weather ends up hot and sunny with just isolated thundery outbreaks in those cases.

I often find that high pressure areas that follow a brief polar maritime incursion can end up producing a lot of sunshine (the anticyclonic spell of 13-23 August 1995, and the anticyclonic spells of mid-June and mid-July 1996, started off that way for instance) as polar maritime air, though associated with showers when pressure is low, often isn't particularly moist. Conversely anticyclonic spells that start off with tropical maritime air, though generally warmer, tend to produce more issues with banks of cloud unless an input of drier continental air follows.

Posted

The photos below tell the story of another unspeakably vile, sunless, depressing murky daybad.gif

I took them on my lunchtime walk which I have been missing most days lately due to the foul weather. Wish I'd missed it again as going out in these hellish conditions does nothing to benefit your health whatsoever. Then again neither does staying stuck indoors all the time eitherwallbash.gif

post-11542-0-49896900-1341336415_thumb.j

post-11542-0-66835900-1341336430_thumb.j

post-11542-0-71217900-1341336443_thumb.j

post-11542-0-03279600-1341336457_thumb.j

These were taken right on the outskirts of the city. I dread to think how bad it was right down at the coast. Had it not been for the vegetation and trees in leaf they could easily be mistaken for scenes from the bleakest of mid-winter days. Been along time since we had such awful gloom in winter though.

Muck has lifted now, well I should say the fog has lifted as there is still plenty of useless muck around in the form of featureless white/grey sky. Not so much as a break in the cloud for 2 days solid now and needless to say temperatures were well below average againhelp.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

There's been a lot of rain and below average temops here, but i've still been wearing shorts and a t-shirt every day since the warm period towards the end of May. 15°C isn't 'cold'

i don't let this weather get me down.

Posted

I must be having withdrawal symptoms from the hot spell at the end of May. One week of great weather in about 3 months?! It's just so dull, everything's dull...and it's turning my personality dull too. Honestly, it's getting me so fed up it's unreal. I can't remember the last time we had a decent day since May. Urgh.

Posted

yet again another pointless summers day with weak fronts bringing patchy drizzly crap, at least if we had some decent rain it would be fine but this weather is so boringly rubbish, next week is my birthday and it looks cool and cloudy with a horrible northerly of some kind, that brick wall like mid atlantic ridge is so stubborn

it is just so obvious that the greenland high will disappear in autumn and the azores high will return to set up shop for the winter again. so its a double blow for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

yet again another pointless summers day with weak fronts bringing patchy drizzly crap, at least if we had some decent rain it would be fine but this weather is so boringly rubbish, next week is my birthday and it looks cool and cloudy with a horrible northerly of some kind, that brick wall like mid atlantic ridge is so stubborn

it is just so obvious that the greenland high will disappear in autumn and the azores high will return to set up shop for the winter again. so its a double blow for us

I bet my collection of weather books that by the end of July;

(1) Despite this vile crap continuing, I will not reach >10 mm rain in a day and the entire months rain events will be drizzle or light rain.

(2) The lack of thunder will continue.

(3) There will be more days of cancelled bike rides, like today, a dreadful state of affairs after only 2 rides in June (usually 4-5 each month).

(4) The weather will miraculously improve and be stiflingly hot and sunny for the Olympics - when we will be subjected to incessant Olympic detail in the media - at least this may give the tabloids a rest from the bilge and inaccurate accounts that are all too frequent.

I don't think I have ever felt so fed up in the summer as this year, which is not helped by the action replay of the incessant crap endured in the last few summers without a break. I feel similarly bored and depressed to how I feel during a normal (snowless) winter and even they hold more potential for bike rides than this vile summer. Wish I didn't have to get up in the morning as there is nothing to feel motivated about and another humdrum day at work, bored out of my skull with nothing to chat about does not raise any positive feel. I only feel contented when asleep, listening to music, eating or doing anything else when I can forget about and not have to look at and be reminded of this awful summer. Diversionary tactics are usually a winter ploy.

The dreary weather would be less frustrating and annoying if it wasn't accompanied by seeing other locations having all the 'excitement' while where ever I happen to be misses out and that the ambient conditions are less unpleasant to work and be out in.

The main issues are;

(1) Incessant dull and depressing conditions which bring negative feelings. SAD in summer - never known this before.

(2) No exciting events modeled and if anything is indicated then it is downgraded and Guildford misses out - yet again.

(3) Extreme boredom resulting in nothing to talk about which enhances the negative mood and feelings of resentment, the metaphorical 'big party party for everyone but I'm not invited'. On rare occasions that we have interesting events, conversation is easier, I have more people interested in chatting and feel there is a purpose. During boring weather there is obviously nothing to talk about and people are similarly bored and start to 'back-stab', complain more and are generally more obnoxious. (I got attacked by angry customer in car park last July during a long period of disgusting weather in an intensely boring period).

(4) No pleasant surprises.

(5) Just more of this dross which just is a never-ending Hell.

Posted

agree, also viewing the charts is annoying as there is high pressure galore to the west, south, north and east of the uk but we are stuck under pointless low pressure giving days and days of cloudy drizzly rain, no excitement in the weather at all, i cannot remember the the last time i heard thunder or saw lightning here

my crops are so behind this year due to this turgid cool cloudy crap, i don't think some of them will make it, but i suppose if we have our summer in september and october like usual then they will be ready by Halloween, better late than never

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm seriously hoping that this brighter, showery, thundery weather that I promised in the model output thread for the next few days comes to fruition, and not just out of personal preference either- if the rest of the week turns out anything like the grey drizzly nothingness of the first two days then I'm going to have to devour one hell of a lot of humble pie!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I bet my collection of weather books that by the end of July;

(1) Despite this vile crap continuing, I will not reach >10 mm rain in a day and the entire months rain events will be drizzle or light rain.

(2) The lack of thunder will continue.

(3) There will be more days of cancelled bike rides, like today, a dreadful state of affairs after only 2 rides in June (usually 4-5 each month).

(4) The weather will miraculously improve and be stiflingly hot and sunny for the Olympics - when we will be subjected to incessant Olympic detail in the media - at least this may give the tabloids a rest from the bilge and inaccurate accounts that are all too frequent.

I don't think I have ever felt so fed up in the summer as this year, which is not helped by the action replay of the incessant crap endured in the last few summers without a break. I feel similarly bored and depressed to how I feel during a normal (snowless) winter and even they hold more potential for bike rides than this vile summer. Wish I didn't have to get up in the morning as there is nothing to feel motivated about and another humdrum day at work, bored out of my skull with nothing to chat about does not raise any positive feel. I only feel contented when asleep, listening to music, eating or doing anything else when I can forget about and not have to look at and be reminded of this awful summer. Diversionary tactics are usually a winter ploy.

The dreary weather would be less frustrating and annoying if it wasn't accompanied by seeing other locations having all the 'excitement' while where ever I happen to be misses out and that the ambient conditions are less unpleasant to work and be out in.

The main issues are;

(1) Incessant dull and depressing conditions which bring negative feelings. SAD in summer - never known this before.

(2) No exciting events modeled and if anything is indicated then it is downgraded and Guildford misses out - yet again.

(3) Extreme boredom resulting in nothing to talk about which enhances the negative mood and feelings of resentment, the metaphorical 'big party party for everyone but I'm not invited'. On rare occasions that we have interesting events, conversation is easier, I have more people interested in chatting and feel there is a purpose. During boring weather there is obviously nothing to talk about and people are similarly bored and start to 'back-stab', complain more and are generally more obnoxious. (I got attacked by angry customer in car park last July during a long period of disgusting weather in an intensely boring period).

(4) No pleasant surprises.

(5) Just more of this dross which just is a never-ending Hell.

And people say the British Weather is surprising and unpredictable and always a surprise around the corner etc. they are incorrect as the last five months have offered nothing surprising with predictable patterns following the patterns of the last few years, doubt August will be hot like you said though, maybe not bad but nothing that will scare 2003 or 1995, an yes (most) people are more angry/depressed when it's overcast, at least (for us warm/sun/connective weather weather fans) we live south though, although the North (mostly NE) does do quite well from t-storms these days, I refused to be dragged down though as that's what the weather wants.

Edited by BrightInBrighton

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Another horrible drizzle morning. It's pretty dangerous out there under foot/wheel too as this constant drizzle has made everything extremely slippery almost like black ice in places!

It's almost like all the annoying pains in the backsides & drawbacks that normally surface in winter have turned up in July. Stuff like:

- Lack of daylight lowering the mood and making it hard to wake up in the morning.

- Being trapped indoors only going outside to run between buildings.

- Dangerous conditions underfoot.

- Having to prepare yourself to go outside rather than just slipping some easy shoes on and going.

- Increased traffic as no one wants to be outside.

- Arguments with my colleague/the missus who complain its too cold all the time meaning can't open any windows and heaters end up on.

- Impossible to dry clothes without using the expensive and clothes damaging tumble dryer.

- Poor/no growth in garden and nasty conditions out causing me to loose interest in spending time working on it.

Roll on summer!

Posted

Oh the ruddy rain........ :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

"Stay at home"..."have your holiday in Britain" they say....no thanks...I've had it. I'm going to Cyprus in early August for 2 weeks. Sick to the back teeth of relentless grey skies and rain. Why waste your money on a British holiday and have it ruined by the turgid disgusting crap that passes for summer in this country?

No thanks, I want to see blue skies...sunshine...high temperatures.

Posted

Well, the brighter showery regime is knocking on our doorstep right now- the sattelite images show clearer skies just off the west coasts of Wales and SW England. However I could really do with a bit of sun making it through today... :lol: this is an embarrassment for both myself and for the UK summer.

You just know that October and November will be dry as a bone. By the looks of things July is shocking. And i dont see where the heat is going to come from for August... I think we can write this summer off..

And yes today is cloudy and looks like "rain"

And they have predicted 14c for Leeds at the weekend. Adding in the showers and the strong westerly i doubt it will feel more than 7c/8c.. And this will be the end of the first week of July.. sorry.gif

Posted

And they have predicted 14c for Leeds at the weekend. Adding in the showers and the strong westerly i doubt it will feel more than 7c/8c.. And this will be the end of the first week of July.. sorry.gif

I know - it's wonderful! And even through the cloud and murk of late evening I'm sure I can detect the nights starting to draw out. I'm so happy with the weather right now,I could cry (tho' it's still too warm)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I know - it's wonderful! And even through the cloud and murk of late evening I'm sure I can detect the nights starting to draw out. I'm so happy with the weather right now,I could cry (tho' it's still too warm)!

How did you manage to survive July 2006?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

He probably lived like a hermit crab!

Posted

The biggest p-take for me is getting sunburnt after watching the Waddington Airshow for 2 days. Both days it was intermittent showers but with a few mins of sunshine inbetween, obviously not thinking about the UV levels many (including myself) are looking like lobsters as a result.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Lol seen lots of slugs on my windows.. at least they are happy, that's all that matters!

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Since June 1st... worn shorts on 2 days, worn wellies on 19 days and about to don them once again to walk the dog. Says it all really and I expect the wellies to see far more action than the shorts across the rest of this month too! Now where did those sheep go....clapping.gif

Edited by shedhead