Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Posted

Another drab day again, 12c in moderate rain. Not at all what was in the forecast last night, the UKMO have been very poor with their forecasts for my part of the world recently. Can't really blame them though, who want to forecast another day of crap?

I've been an angler for 31 years and can honestly say this is the worst summer I've ever known. Much worse than the late 80's which seem to stand out in most peoples minds. I was up in North Yorks near Topcliffe last weekend and the river Nidd was in field after field, you couldn't actually see where the river itself was. Lots of farmland flooded, it must be hard for them. Plus this week the great Yorkshire Show was cancelled for the first time in 154 years, that speaks for itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Oh it could be much,much worse - day after day of blue skies and relentless sun and 30C+. Yuk!

Think you might find yourself in a pretty small group in that view - especially this summer!

It's been 6 years since we've had 30c+ for more than a few hours or so - long overdue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

there is hope at the end of this very cloudy tunnel,.... yay sunshine!

Posted

Dear British Summer

Okay that's it, you had your chance and you blew it. Every year since 2006 you've been promising around March/April you'd be better but come the end of july your up to your old tricks. Well I've had enough - I'm taking the kids and we're off to the travel agent. Don't try to stop us and don't try to follow us. We're better off without each other. Even if you say you'll be good until the end of August, I don't believe a word you say anymore. One day we might be friends again (but not until the 500mb charts show tentative signs of a pattern change in the medium time frame). Thanks for the good times - '76, '83, '95...say hi to the olympics for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

I predicted ten years ago that we would be seeing posts just like the one above. Its such a shame that the so called experts in the Exeter climate center and the University of East Anglia just couldnt see further than their own continuous drivel about forever warmer....mediteranean type summers here in the UK.

I did predict that we would all be looking out across a windswept, damp and cold summer beach ten years forth asking the question: What ever happened to global warming?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I predicted ten years ago that we would be seeing posts just like the one above. Its such a shame that the so called experts in the Exeter climate center and the University of East Anglia just couldnt see further than their own continuous drivel about forever warmer....mediteranean type summers here in the UK.

I did predict that we would all be looking out across a windswept, damp and cold summer beach ten years forth asking the question: What ever happened to global warming?

Not to start an argument (and I am by no means a GW believer), but the term Global means the whole Earth, not just the United Kingdom.

People forget about all the other summer months back in the early 00s. They were not all fantastic. I remember people saying we would never get a winter month below 2c ever again during this time........guess what it happened and just as that happened, we will get a summer month above 18c again.

Posted

Not to start an argument (and I am by no means a GW believer), but the term Global means the whole Earth, not just the United Kingdom.

People forget about all the other summer months back in the early 00s. They were not all fantastic. I remember people saying we would never get a winter month below 2c ever again during this time........guess what it happened and just as that happened, we will get a summer month above 18c again.

Maybe the UEA experts should have addressed the whole Earth, and not just threatened the UK with mediterranean summers?

Posted

Had a good day yesterday with enjoying 5 hours of sunshine out and about in the Derbyshire Dales. Looking out the window today it's back to clouds, rain, and just general tripe. At least the weekend is looking up.

Posted

The world's worst weather continues. Yet another day of vapid relentless overcast nothingness.

This morning and actually a sliver of blue in the sky which came to nothing:

post-11542-0-72902500-1342201165_thumb.j

The current scene:

post-11542-0-90207400-1342201228_thumb.j

It's just unreal. The satellite showed plenty of clear breaks in the sky but they just would not move any further south than the Moray Firth. It is like a stagnant area of perma cloud has formed and nothing will shift it.help.gif

It's driving me round the bend. I have not experienced any direct sunshine at all since last Friday lunchtime. There has just been half an hour since made up of 30 second glimmers now and again. It replaces 5th - 11th June 2012 as the dullest summer week I have experienced. Both these would be record dull weeks for their respective months.

The glimmer of hope that next week would see a return to normal westerlies/south westerlies seems to be rapidly dwindling as it's now looking like a pigs breakfast of cool, cloudy north westerlies followed by a washout southerly tracking low than a northerly wallbash.gif

Summer 2012 truly is giving a whole new meaning to the term "write-off"bad.gif

Posted

Can't add anything to this.Bizarrely we are pretty much stuck with the same pattern on the west side of England here. And it literally is, day after interminable day of drizzly, cool gloom and featureless stratus. Never known anything like it. Depressing...

Really? I'm close to you and I've had some good spells of sunshine in recent days (not today of course). Not vintage stuff by any means (disappointing temperatures) but it's something at least. Those sunshine levels in eastern Scotland are on another level to anything I've ever seen before: we're nearly halfway through July and Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Eskdalemuir are still stuck in single figures for sunshine hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Really? I'm close to you and I've had some good spells of sunshine in recent days (not today of course). Not vintage stuff by any means (disappointing temperatures) but it's something at least. Those sunshine levels in eastern Scotland are on another level to anything I've ever seen before: we're nearly halfway through July and Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Eskdalemuir are still stuck in single figures for sunshine hours.

We had about an hour of sunshine early on yesterday but we seem to have our own little micro-climate going on here (I could be wide of the mark but Im convinced Essar Stanlow Oil Refinery and all the other chemical plants nearby play a part). If we have sunshine, literally within an hour it has clouded over and the dull conditions return. We are on a high level flightpath too and its amazing to watch the contrails spread out and form high level haze.

Posted

for the third day in a row i got soaked, showers usually miss Bedford but not this year it seems, enough is enough now, and i see next weeks brief settled snap is getting shorter and shorter, what a shock

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It stayed dry all day here in Sandhutton for the second consecutive day. But unlike yesterday, sunshine was restricted to the odd glimpse around sunrise and sunset, with the rest of the day relentlessly overcast. I expect a bit more brightness this weekend though, most especially on Sunday when a westerly flow and ridge of high pressure should at least shunt away any lingering occluded fronts.