Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Stormy weather - Thursday 10th May

A.J

Posted

Is the sun out in Hull yet. I am currently sat about 5 miles east of Pontefract and it is still cloudy (albeit trying to break).

I am deciding between heading south of the Humber towards Scunny, or north towards Hull at present. May head towards Goole and work from there.

Sounds good.

This is my chase area for today, I don't want to chase anything north of the Humber...

post-3392-0-42810100-1336646673_thumb.pn

This area is completely new to me, does anyone have some good lookout points? The Barton on Humber place sounds good, I'll keep that in mind.

There's obviously not much high ground in that area, but are there any good hills with nice 360 views?

I'll be in a grey Seat Ibiza, and I'll probably wear my 'powered by stormchasing' jumper if anyone sees me.

Hi guys,

Sun is out in sunny Hull :p

I think for you guys, the best area to be positioned in is around the Gainsborough area, NE to Barton.

It all depends on how far S/SW the storms develop as they will be tracking ENE (more increasingly NE) so the exit point imho is just North of the Humber out towards the end of the estuary.

It could be a little further South.

I'll give you guys updates throughout the day if you want with regards to what's happening, I cannot chase today :( my head gasket gone on my mondeo so i'm currently in the market for a new car, gutted!

Best of luck, and stay safe :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hi guys,

Sun is out in sunny Hull blum.gif

I think for you guys, the best area to be positioned in is around the Gainsborough area, NE to Barton.

It all depends on how far S/SW the storms develop as they will be tracking ENE (more increasingly NE) so the exit point imho is just North of the Humber out towards the end of the estuary.

It could be a little further South.

I'll give you guys updates throughout the day if you want with regards to what's happening, I cannot chase today sad.png my head gasket gone on my mondeo so i'm currently in the market for a new car, gutted!

Best of luck, and stay safe smile.png

Thanks, that's actually a very good place to start for me, I think I'll take your advice.

It should only be about a 1 hour drive from Nottingham at the most, and would put me in a good position, and from there I can head NE to the Humber Estuary.

I'll maybe aim to get there for about 3pm unless things change.

I'm quite excited about today, I've never actually chased in the UK before, so it's a new experience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Thanks Lewis that would be great, and thanks for the advice. I am going to be keeping a close eye on this forum (i have internet on the move for the first time this year :))

Hopefully me and MCT can get some footage today.

I am currently in Goole and there was some sunshine but clouds spilling in again. Very warm and sticky though so all looking good. Will head south shortly.

Posted

My gf lives in south ferriby and the views from the hill is perfect. Will there be storms around 6:30pm?

Posted

Wow temp rocketed up to 21.7C in strong sunshine..... Very humid now.

Edit: now 22.1C and suddenly a strong SSW wind 28.5 Mph.

Edited by Richie V

Posted

still quite cloudy here. temps at 18.4. been down to Doveridge on A50 now back in Matlock some 30 miles North and its been cloudy all teh way.

really need it to break so temps can rise.

could be in good spot hear, but things may slip more easterly, just have to wait.

good.gif

Posted

Thanks, that's actually a very good place to start for me, I think I'll take your advice.

It should only be about a 1 hour drive from Nottingham at the most, and would put me in a good position, and from there I can head NE to the Humber Estuary.

I'll maybe aim to get there for about 3pm unless things change.

I'm quite excited about today, I've never actually chased in the UK before, so it's a new experience.

I'll be somewhere to the north at about 3:30ish.. Look out for a dark red 04 plate Golf :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Wow temp rocketed up to 21.7C in strong sunshine..... Very humid now.

Edit: now 22.1C and suddenly a strong SSW wind 28.5 Mph.

Meanwhile, 17 miles north, cloudy and 9C with no sign of sunshine, feeling cold with a NE wind.. it should have been 15C by now according to the Met Office.

Oh I see.. now they update their forecast.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

See the little dot of 1100 cape over me, I would call that bulls eye! haha

Massive upgrade, shame I only have 2 darn posts left for today. :(

KfJov.png

Thats where ill be in that bulls eye! South ferriby is next to barton!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

good point to make 4 this afternoon south ferriby on the humber when you come out the village and go up the hill at the top on the flat you can see for miles north and west yorkshire, east up the humber to the head of the river, south back towards scunny probably the highest point in this area.. gonna have a nose down there in a bit bout 3 miles from me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm just outside Crowle which is not too far from Scunny. May go hang around the M180 with an easy route west to east. Not much happening at the minute, although it is very warm and muggy. Lot of cloud though which won't help.

Posted

Well I'm not so sure about home grown thundery activity over the East Midlands region but in a few hours time the heavy showers

currently over the Wiltshire/Bath area will reach there, so you could be in with a chance as I would ecpect the recent downpour

that affected here to intensify as it moves (quickly) NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

good point to make 4 this afternoon south ferriby on the humber when you come out the village and go up the hill at the top on the flat you can see for miles north and west yorkshire, east up the humber to the head of the river, south back towards scunny probably the highest point in this area.. gonna have a nose down there in a bit bout 3 miles from me...

Half way to Barton upon Humber!! do you mean..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Half way to Barton upon Humber!! do you mean..

yep thats the one the A1077 from scunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Might pop there later, looks like a good viewing spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

first signs here in the past 30 mins of convection starting.....had a few drops from a Cu Congestus, this shower has moved NEwards at a pretty good clip and is now giving a moderate/heavy shower near Mansfield

Posted

or coming from the north cross the bridge and up to roundabout then head right on the A1077 or if you carry on up the a15 a few miles you see elsham on right use to be an old airfield pretty high up great views from there allso.. bout 5 mins from the bridge...

Posted

I'm finding this unbelieveble, I'm on 24.5C folks. I've checked and checked and checked my sensors over and over. My calibration thermo is telling me this is correct.

Anyone else getting high readings?

My sensor is sited in deep shade 1.8 M above ground 12 M away from fences and the house.

Posted

Chucking it down here, really heavy persistant rain and very bad fog as well. Someone was saying it's the worst in 5 years, you can barely see a car in front of you.

Posted

Dark bases now cropping up close to here, north and south of where I am individual cells are slowly starting to make themselves known.

Posted

Right, I'm moving in the next half hour, probably have a run to the south bank of the Humber.

Posted

I may have a dash over to Whitton (right on the south bank of the humber) later.

Been there a few times in the past. PRIME SPOT!

Edited by Richie V

Posted

I may have a dash over to Whitton (right on the south bank of the humber) later.

Been there a few times in the past. PRIME SPOT!

Sounds like the best option.