Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Does The Hot Weather Affect You?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Below is an interesting article, and some made me laugh, quite an enjoyable read, i wanted to read more! it was LOL!

I read it in the i-paper and thought i would share it with others, so looked it up online and here it is.

Simon Kelner: We're simply not made for this bothersome weather

Why is the automatic assumption in Britain that hot, sunny weather is a good thing?

The newspapers are filled with pictures of people (perhaps, more correctly, I should say young women) frolicking in the sea at Brighton, with triumphal headlines saying it's hotter here than Marbella. Or was it Mars? Glorious day, strangers say, by way of a greeting. And there is a common belief that sunshine puts everyone in a good mood.

Well, I don't mean to be an old curmudgeon, but I really don't like it. I am hot. And I'm bothered by it. Give me a crisp autumn day, or even a cold winter

one, rather than the sweat-inducing, stifling heat we are experiencing at the moment. Great news! It's 28 degrees! Well, it's not actually. I'd prefer a temperature in the high teens, which means that I can sleep at night and I can arrive at work without feeling that I have perspired all the water out of my body.

Have you noticed, too, what rubbish it is that this blast of sun has lifted the national mood. People may be a bit gloomy when we have day after day of miserable, grey weather, but at least they're not irascible, bad-tempered and liable to explode into a road rage incident at any moment. Central London felt more like Dar es Salaam yesterday, the streets clogged with traffic, the pavements teeming with humanity and the pollution almost tangible.

We know the capital had a reputation as a melting pot: we just didn't realise it had a literal meaning, too.

The truth is we are a cold weather people: that's what we're designed for, and it's what we know how to dress for. Sure, when we're on holiday, we'll lap it all up, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that this kind of heat is anything other than an inconvenience if you are actually working.

I remember Jeremy Clarkson, in one if those familiar pieces poking fun at the global warming lobby, saying: Wouldn't it be terrible! Britain would have a climate like the South of France. In fact, that might well be pretty terrible, unless we adopted a way of life consistent with endless heat, stopping for a couple of hours for lunch, and then going home for a sleep before returning to work for a few hours in the evening.

I am not sure how that would fit in with the imperatives to increase growth in the eurozone. It's all well and good having southern European weather, but when you've not got a southern European temperament, it just isn't sustainable.

Of course, man-made climate change is not about the gradual transformation of East Grinstead into Aix-en-Provence; its effects are to be seen in extreme weather "events" - hurricanes, floods, droughts, and the like. And I'm not saying that this brief spell of boiling hot weather is further, incontrovertible proof of global warming, but intense heat does seem to be more of a phenomenon in Britain than intense cold these days.

This spell will continue over the weekend, but there is some good news on the horizon: the advance forecast for June says that temperatures are going to be much lower!

http://www.independe...er-7788321.html

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I like it hot and sunny when outside, but just enough to not have sweat pouring of me or where all yours clothes just stick, i do like a strong breeze with deep blue skies, but i also enjoy calm warm evenings outside especially if a thunderstorm is building, recently it has been a bit to hot for me outside, and the heat does not always bring a higher risk of storms either, we could have days and days of a heatwave and not even see a cumulus. The worst part for me of the heatwave is the flat i live in, this over the last few days has and still is feeling to hot, it's like going from a heatwave to an overheated sauna, and sleeping on the bed covers, i am south facing and it gets the sunshine all day so heats up, i don't think the other side of the block has such a problem, in winter i get the opposite where it's to cold and the heating drains out fast as soon as it's off, it is of course hot in many homes during these hot spells, unless we have climate control systems like the cool fresh offices do, those that have these air conditioning systems are going from a heatwave into great relieve from it, where's for some we go into an even hotter zone then we just come out of. That fresh breeze now coming through the windows is helping things!

Posted

I think this article just shows how hopelessly obsessed British people are by work. It mentions the south of France, which is an area that is not as productive economically as the UK as a whole but having spent plenty of time there, people actually do enjoy life a lot more than British people do in general, and are usually far less grumpy and tend to moan less than the average Briton. Thinking specifically about Provence, the region is still relatively efficient despite people working shorter hours- the trains are generally on time, rubbish is always collected when it is supposed to be etc.

People in the UK seem to be permanently in a rush. Interestingly the French have a reputation as bad drivers but in the last few years people here have actually started driving faster than them, particularly in the towns and cities- my parents had some French friends visit them last October and after driving up to Manchester from Dover, the first thing they remarked was how fast the people were driving on the motorway. It's actually stressful if you want to stick to the speed limit as you more often that not get tailgated by some impatient fool behind you. Rushing around and battling crowds is generally not a good idea in hot weather, hence why many people here find it difficult to deal with I think.

Posted

intense heat does seem to be more of a phenomenon in Britain than intense cold these days.

Wow, it's been a warm week in London!

I wouldn't consider anything less than 30C hot personally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It makes me even more miserable than normal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Whatever happen to the Britain that had power and weren't a bunch of people who moan about everything and can't cope with anything, of 25C heat, which even in Britain especially London usually occurs at least once a month and when American's went to war rather than Britain standing up for itself did the opposite.

Anyway the idea of a climate like the South Of France just makes me smile, lovely long warm/hot summers with mild almost pleasant winters sound great and another thing, of course that's not for everyone but still some would find it more terrible than others. The article said that working is difficult for working but yesterday, I sat outside in 26-27C heat and revised for an important exam fine without any concentration issues, and the exam room was hot but I just got on with it, rather than moaning all the time, and yes scorcher Brits are overworked compared to the French.

And why does he describe it as boiling hot and make it sound like 40C or something, it's 23-27C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, May 26, 2012 - Please try to make your point without the insults
Hidden by reef, May 26, 2012 - Please try to make your point without the insults

Whatever happen to the Britain that had power and weren't a bunch of people who moan about everything and can't cope with anything, of 25C heat, which even in Britain especially London usually occurs at least once a month and when American's went to war rather than Britain standing up for itself did the opposite.

Anyway the idea of a climate like the South Of France just makes me smile, lovely long warm/hot summers with mild almost pleasant winters sound great and another thing, of course that's not for everyone but still some would find it more terrible than others. The article said that working is difficult for working but yesterday, I sat outside in 26-27C heat and revised for an important exam fine without any concentration issues, and the exam room was hot but I just got on with it, rather than moaning all the time, and yes scorcher Brits are overworked compared to the French.

And why does he describe it as boiling hot and make it sound like 40C or something, it's 23-27C!

This entire post is incredibly stupid and your friend Scorcher is just as stupid. Just accept people tolerate different temperatures differently instead of making patronizing posts, yeah? Oh,and if you're going to make a rant at least think before posting, that world war 2 reference is offensive to people who actually fought in it and quite frankly makes you look a right moron.

Edited by reef
Posted

Just accept people tolerate different temperatures differently.......

Ye! Anything above 15C is a heatwave to me! Lawd knows I moan about the heat,but don'y decry those who like it; it's here,it happens and if that's your bag make the most of it. As for those like me who can't tolerate much of this, I can happily go outside in sub-zero temps in a t-shirt. Guess I'm just hot-blooded!

Posted

I am so awfully sorry for having an opinion! I don't like heat. I don't tolerate heat well. I can't help it.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very tough, hottest time from 8pm-4am, very hot in evenings and overnight, sleeping is tough, but just thinking of the 06Z showing minimum of 3C and max of 10C for friday 1st

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

This weather gives me the almost irresistable urge to reach for the calendar and count how many days are left until the beginning of November.

I resist the urge because I'm well aware it's a long, long time. To heap pain upon pain the hours of daylight are still getting longer and it's another 4 weeks until they begin to shorten. If this was August I could at least console myself with the shortening days and the prospect of autumn around the corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

I get hot, irritable, angry and just generally a pain in the a$$.

It does however sometimes make me happy, I love it and then hate it.

very odd.

I think its because id rather just have snow or storms rather than boring too hot sunny days

Posted

I get hot, irritable, angry and just generally a pain in the a$$.

It does however sometimes make me happy, I love it and then hate it.

very odd.

I think its because id rather just have snow or storms rather than boring too hot sunny days

I do agree. Sometimes I do enjoy it but most of the time I don't. And it annoys me people telling me I have to enjoy it. I get annoyed with people whinging it's too cold in winter but I don't have a go at them for it.

I dont mind it to be honest, nice change from what we had but to say you cant ever get bored of this is ridiculous, if it goes on and on of course you can like any weather type, some people do go on about it too much though they know who they are , be interesting to see them in winter with the same weather pattern, not so sure they will go on about it anywhere near as much then.

Posted

And it annoys me people telling me I have to enjoy it.

What never fails to wind me up is the media's unbridled glorification of hot weather and the assumption (?) that most of us enjoy it. Teevee weather people are as guilty and they can't help but describe sun and warmth as "glorious" and something we should be thankful for. And even in the midst of drought they are always "afraid" when rain is in the offing. Why? Some of us,and probably a whole lot more than is acknowledged,absolutely love the rain and cloud. It's almost a taboo to dislike summer. This is the most miserable time of year for me and is something to be painfully endured. Like TM I observe the crawl of the days until the solstice,and even though I know the hottest of the year's weather is still most likely yet to happen,it's the psychological effect of knowing that at least one peak has been breached and from there on in it's all one way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I like the weather we have had here this week. Max temps between 19C and 23C with a light breeze. Mins between 8C ad 12C. Just rightcool.png for me.

Any hotter or more humid, particularly at night and it becomes a pain.sad.png

Posted

I certainly understand the cold-lover's frustration in that hot, dry and sunny is seen as the default summer weather for everybody to like, but if "we are a cold weather people" as the author claims then why do people get even more hysterical when we get a bit of snow? I would say the country as a whole doesn't deal very well with either heat or cold - not too surprising given that we live in such a temperate climate.

If you hate this weather, try to remember that it rarely lasts very long in Britain and the outlook for summer as a whole is far from naiiled-on.

I for one enjoy this weather a great deal, but I hate packed beaches and crowded pubs. It's always other people which ruin it for me. laugh.png

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It makes me want to go outside and get a tan (for which I have one), it's lovely to be able to go out with the need of a jacket.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

It makes me want to go outside and get a tan (for which I have one), it's lovely to be able to go out with the need of a jacket.

I try to avoid the sun at all costs, so was grateful when the missus took it upon herself to mow the lawn in my absence on Tues just gone. She spent a full three hours out there and is now paying the price in the form of very nasty sunburn on the upper half of her back. Her fault I know,I guess the transistion from what we had to what we have this week caught her unawares. It's a right mess and I'm getting tired of rubbing E45 cream on it! Me,my complexion is clear and as white as the driven snow - that was very fashionable in Victorian times you know - meant you weren't one of the peasants who had to eke out a living by toiling outdoors!

Posted

I like cold, sunny weather. Heat makes my brain slow down and I struggle to think. It makes me stoooopid. I get frustrated as a consequence. And angry. And am liable to smash things. It's what comes of having troll blood ...... shok.gif

(Well, the first bit is true, anyway)

Edit: guess the ideal daytime temp in this country is between 10c and 20c. Which by coincidence is the normal temp for most of the country for most of the year. Above or below it some people have health problems and the infrastructure has silly problems. But between 10c and 20c everything works absolutely fine ..... (obviously 10c in winter, 20c in summer)

As an added aside, in recent years I've noted thunderstorms are far more prevalent round here when the temp is below 20c !

Edited by Essan

Posted

Love the warm weather especially when there is a breeze like today but when it's 32c which not a breath of wind it gets a little too much.

Don't like the hot weather? Oh well that won't change the fact it's happening and is becoming far more common.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

I've got no problem with people who don't like heat or even warm weather, despite what Aaron says, we are here because we all like different types of weather, which makes it interesting because it gives us something to to talk about, but I don't like the article which talks as if it speaks for everyone and treats 20-27C like sahara desert heat,even though it's almost standard during the hottest month.