Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Does The Hot Weather Affect You?

Posted

The night warmth is especially welcome as it means I can drag the scope outside and not have to worry about icing, or wether 3x layers is enough given the amount of time planned, simple Jeans and a thin hoodie is certainly better than feeling my toes and fingers go numb. The only problem is this observational 'window' is shortened to only 2 - 3 hours at the peak of midsummer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Wow lot of negativity here... Go outside and walk around and notice you're at complete odds to most of the population!

For me this weather makes me happy, relaxed and feeling free to do whatever I like. I enjoy my house being filled with fresh air instead of the usual stuffyness and the ability to have a larger proportion of my body exposed to the air!

I do agree the intensity of solar radiation this last two days is very high and if you are out in it is you cannot escape it. For those that bemoan humidity - that does at least temper the intense radiation of today which I won't deny is blinding the hell out of my poor eyes!

To me moaning about hot weather in the UK is the same as moaning about all that annoying snow we get that just drives you crazy interfering with your daily routine for 3 or 4 days a year - yeah totally over the top...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's a lot of truth behind Scorcher's points regarding emphasis on work. Most dictionaries define "good" weather as "weather that is conducive to outdoor activities", but the modern media-driven definition often seems to be more along the lines, "weather that is conducive to a minimum of inconvenience and disruption for nine-to-five office workers who have a substantial commute to and from work". Or, put in more cynical terms, the less "weather" the better, so that the working public can go about their daily business as if the weather doesn't exist.

The one glaring inconsistency with the above concerns hot sunny spells, where our media sources seem to be pretty divided- as Laserguy noted some still persist in saying that the hotter and sunnier the better. But even here, I've noticed a steady increase in the number of sources preaching a similar view to the original article, i.e. that dry, partly cloudy and 18-22C is ideal and that anything over 25C is too hot.

As for the effects on humans, like snowy spells, this sort of weather has a polarising effect on most people- stronger negative emotions come out than with modest partly-cloudiness and warmth, but also stronger positive emotions. And in some cases both at the same time- some of the people complaining about the heat are nonetheless finding this spell enjoyable. My general impression is that most people are enjoying the current weather, but the proportion would dwindle if it got much warmer/hotter than this.

As for dry, partly cloudy and 18-22C in itself, it would be ideal for minimising the disruption and inconvenience to people's lives but it's a pattern that I find rather tedious after a while and I'm sure I'm not alone among weather enthusiasts there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not since 2006 it isnt, 28C yesterday in bournemouth was the highest since July 2006

It was 30C in London on October 1st last year?

Posted

I can tolerate the current conditions, they are not what I would describe as hot, hot to me is temps in the low 30's +, the term 'hot' is being applied quite liberally at the moment with regard to the current spell.

The current spell is a decent one it has to be said for the time of year and has been a major shock to the system, people have had to acclimatise very quickly.. it reminds me a bit of the late Nov 2010 cold spell, a shock to the system on perhaps a greater extreme, coming on the back of a very mild period. By the December we got used to sub zero days... if these current conditions lasted through the whole of June (odds on this happening exceptionally low), we would soon get used to it.. but I bet many would complaining about the lack of rain, and cloud and coolness.. we are a maritime nation not a continental one.. the british characteristic and temperament is as far from meditteranean as you can get.

Back to the discussion, I am not a great heat lover especially when you have to be at work.. but living in the Lake District means it is rarely 'hot' for any length of time, and in recent summers, I could count the number of times 25 degrees was breached on one hand, this May we have already seen 3 days now over 25 degrees, but we only have to go back to 2008 for a similiar spell of weather of similiar length and the current spell can't rival the 'hot spell' of early May 90, or the superb second half to May 92.

Posted
The current spell is a decent one it has to be said for the time of year and has been a major shock to the system, people have had to acclimatise very quickly.. it reminds me a bit of the late Nov 2010 cold spell, a shock to the system on perhaps a greater extreme, coming on the back of a very mild period. By the December we got used to sub zero days...

That's certainly true in my experience. I remember when it turned cold in the last week of November 2010 and it really did feel bitter, but the cold felt less notable during December even though it was even colder (apart from the 20th, when it was -9C at midday - I certainly felt that!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

In my ideal world, the temperature wouldn't get above 20C. Saying that, I'd love to experience 50C+ one day, for the novelty factor.

The current weather is a bordering on being too warm for my liking, but I do like how much happier other people are when it's warm and sunny. Things generally feel more upbeat.

6 months at an Antarctic research station would make my ideal holiday!

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Below is an interesting article, and some made me laugh, quite an enjoyable read, i wanted to read more! it was LOL!

I read it in the i-paper and thought i would share it with others, so looked it up online and here it is.

http://www.independe...er-7788321.html

Thanks to the writer of that article for speaking on behalf of everyone in Britain. What truly depressing tripe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks to the writer of that article for speaking on behalf of everyone in Britain. What truly depressing tripe.

It's really that bit in bold that causes most of my aggravation towards many media articles- the tendency to act as if they're speaking for everybody (or sensible people, implying that those who disagree have something wrong with them). There is of course a difference between that and pointing out the problems that a particular type of weather causes to many people- from that latter perspective the article makes some valid points.

Even when articles speak for the majority of the population (which is unlikely to be the case here outside of central London), a majority of 75% would still mean 15 million dissenters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I have read all yours replies thanks.

As we all feel the heat in different ways then there will never be a temperature thats just right for everyone, some get hot quicker and take longer to cool down, it is also depending on where you live to how pleasant a heatwave can be, for me i am enjoying this weather but mostly outside, the deep blue crystal clear skies are nice, being down town with all the activity and open doored pubs and restaurants-some round here open up the whole front of the places, and so many people having a good time right up until late.

The thing i don't like is getting back to a flat that is so hot, and it stays hot through the night even with open windows-although cooler it's still very warm inside, going out in the evening is my favourite time during a heatwave.

The hot spells are actually interesting to me to, it's like a weather event in a way, if you think of the opposite in winter when we have days or freezing temperatures it seems most find it more interesting, i find both types exciting, and watching the models to see what the next move is, is it staying, will there be storms, or is a cool down coming. Whatever is on the horizon it won't interest everyone, that's the way weather is and no matter what country we go to then it won't be exactly what we want all year round.

I have found people are generally happier when it's clear and sunny, and in summer warm and even when it's hot as long as it's sunshine, this would most likely be that it's brighter and light clothes can be worn, when it is cloudy and hot i find people seen to get more moody, i think this could be that there is higher humidity levels during cloudy hot weather.

It is that during hot spells everyone opens up windows and those that can and want to then go outside, this reduces cold's as in winter it's the climate in shutup rooms that normally breeds these, but where colds left off then we have hayfever, this is a problem for me, with high pollen count from the rains set of a bloom then the hot dry air releases this. We can never have all the things how we want them to be every day, and sometimes we just have to take the part we like of it and enjoy it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

This isn't hot at all for me, it's very pleasant! I'm probably more accustomed to it though, because since 2006 we have reached 30C in May, June, July, August, September, October and were just shy of it in April a few times.

26-28C warmth is very nice and is only a few degrees above the average max for July here, also saying that since 2006 we have had quite a few 33s, 32s etc and only when it starts getting to that kind of temperature do I really start to find it gets too hot

Posted

The hot spells are actually interesting to me to, it's like a weather event in a way, if you think of the opposite in winter when we have days or freezing temperatures it seems most find it more interesting, i find both types exciting, and watching the models to see what the next move is, is it staying, will there be storms, or is a cool down coming. Whatever is on the horizon it won't interest everyone, that's the way weather is and no matter what country we go to then it won't be exactly what we want all year round.

The bit in bold applies to me too. One could argue that it's quite contrary that I find partly cloudy and 18-22C mundane and blue skies and 23-26C to constitute more of an "event", even though less weather actually occurs (in terms of cloud patches moving across the sky). It's probably down to the way this sort of weather draws more attention, and has greater novelty value, both in terms of the amount of sunshine and the temperatures.

Posted

Well I've been outside for a few hours (in shade!), starting to rebuild me motorbike. Gave in a little while ago; sweat dripping off my nose,clothes sticking to me,headache starting,mistakes creeping in,temper rising etc etc. Decided to get a batch of homebrew on instead,but once proceedings were well under way it occured to me that I'm going to have a job on,maintaining fermentation temp at 20C or less for 3 or 4 days. Grr,grr. Even NW is at it now; describing this weather as "glorious" on the homepage. Exactly what is glorious about it? It's bloody awful,just want to curl up and die tbh. Paralysing and debilitating,that's all it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
It's bloody awful,just want to curl up and die tbh. Paralysing and debilitating,that's all it is.

Wow, who would've of thought the sun could be such a pain. I feel sorry or you that the sun is such a problem however it can't be argued against the fact this view is of a very very very small minority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Warm weather is becoming more common. Period.

In Spring-Autumn yes, but lately it hasn't been common in summer, but was between 1990-2006, the world is generally seeing higher average temperatures yearly though compared to 30 years ago so to a point, I agree.

Posted

Not since 2006 it isnt, 28C yesterday in bournemouth was the highest since July 2006

What are you talking about? Even last year when most had a poor summer it still hit 33.1C in Gravesend on June 27th.

In 2010 31.7C was recorded in Gravesend on July 9th.

In 2009 32.0C was recorded at Hampton, London on July 1st.

In 2008 30.2C was recorded in Cambridge on July 28th.

In 2007 30.1C at Terrington St Clement, Norfolk on August 5th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Ha..

I reached 30C in 2008, 2009 and 2011..

Posted

I'm pretty sure he meant the highest temperature in Bournemouth since July 2006.

Well if he meant that it wasn't very clear, besides on checking Hurn Airport (Bournemouth) hit 28C in 2007 & 2010 anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The vast amount of outside activities is nice to see. I am baking in the flat and this actually makes it more pleasant when i go out in the heat, this is an event to me, when i can't cool down the flat for days i know it's a heatwave! Also i think i'm saving electricity, this being having the shower therm turned more towards blue, so using less heated water, the cold water is warmer as the pipes are heated from the ground heat from the sunshine, also some of you might be using less kettle boiling, and going for just cold drinks, i'm still on the tea! although i'm having plain water and very chilled fruit juice from the fridge, it's important to drink water/fruit juices along with your teas/coffee through the day/night.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well I've been outside for a few hours (in shade!), starting to rebuild me motorbike. Gave in a little while ago; sweat dripping off my nose,clothes sticking to me,headache starting,mistakes creeping in,temper rising etc etc. Decided to get a batch of homebrew on instead,but once proceedings were well under way it occured to me that I'm going to have a job on,maintaining fermentation temp at 20C or less for 3 or 4 days. Grr,grr. Even NW is at it now; describing this weather as "glorious" on the homepage. Exactly what is glorious about it? It's bloody awful,just want to curl up and die tbh. Paralysing and debilitating,that's all it is.

It will be called 'glorious' since to the majority (well most) that's exactly what it is - a great spell of weather.

Some people don't like heat I know so you get the odd comment of "it's a bit too hot to me" or "it's good for beer drinking or sitting but not working", etc but wanting to "curl up and die" is a really over the top reaction to a bit of sunshine.

I really really dislike November in general - the plunge into darkness, the much more dangerous and unpleasant cycle journeys to/from work, the expense of heating, the trapping of being indoors most of the time and so on. But I don't curse every moment of it and put myself through months of misery and want to top myself! Sure a good moan is had on a regular basis but I ain't going to spend 50-60% of my life suicidal about the season. If nothing else because in the UK the cold season is much longer than the warm one!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

As I have said before, I feel sorry for people who allow the weather to affect them so much it actually makes them miserable.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Some people have medical issues/conditions such as SAD (or, more rarely, "reverse SAD" as per Laserguy) which means there is little they can do about certain types of weather making them miserable. Some of us also struggle to cope with temperatures above or below a certain level.

I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that a particular type of weather can make me miserable on its own, but prolonged overcast spells tend to make me more easily depressed, whereas spells with plenty of sunshine (whether dry or mixed with showers) tend to have the opposite effect.

However there are certainly many people who let the weather get to them excessively for no good reason- as a nation we are notorious for complaining about the weather and never being satisfied.