Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 26th June 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

back on topic?

Sorry, but he thought it may be something due to the air instability and we pointed out that it was dust being brought up in the plume. Not THAT off topic surely?

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Has anyone else in the southeast noticed the amount of dust in the air?

I had my car valeted yesterday and today it looks like I shouldn't have bothered!!!!

I've noticed this several times when the air is unstable!!

Yeah, mine is covered in dust from that small amount of rainfall this pm. Paid £25 for a wash and wax this morning. need a good storm to wash the dust off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

back on topic?

Thats not really on topic or imformative really?

Anyways, going dark again here, raining in the Town but on the outskirts where I am, remaining dry again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

back on topic?

Thanks Cam, but assured members of the site-team are around to assist members and steer the thread if need be.....smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Hey guys had a look at centrel tonight's forecast at 6.25pm they don't mension any thunderstorms although they do forecast thundery showers for tomorrow afternoon. So who's going to be rite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sorry, but he thought it may be something due to the air instability and we pointed out that it was dust being brought up in the plume. Not THAT off topic surely?

Exactly Chris and thank you and others for replying.

Toast?

Posted

Brilliant storm just moving through Belfast at the moment. Thunder, lightning, torrential rain and gusty winds. Long overdue!

Posted

I probably would, i'm gonna do the pub thing myself. smile.png

Off to the pub it is then.

When using your radio as a lightning detector am I right in thinking you have it on LW freq.

And how high do I need the volume as I and my girl friend will be sleeping in the room and need to turn down to a low crack / hiss.

Will It wake me on a low volume??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks Cam, but assured members of the site-team are around to assist members and steer the thread if need be.....smile.png

and a polite notice to all members, it is likely to be a very busy period on the forum, especially here in the convective threads, so with that in mind, think before posting, keep it on topic, and report rather than to reply to any post one feels questionable, this way it saves cluttering up the thread....Thanks in advance biggrin.png

...now on with 'El Gordo II Brumo' laugh.png

Posted

When using your radio as a lightning detector am I right in thinking you have it on LW freq.

And how high do I need the volume as I and my girl friend will be sleeping in the room and need to turn down to a low crack / hiss.

MW, and tune to an empty part of the band or a weak station, this should give you around a 30 mile radius

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just been catching up on this thread and would like to stress that this place is NO place for arguements.girl_devil.gif .. We should all be excited and happy so please let's all just look forward to what lies ahead and be happy.Come on, you can do it... biggrin.png and remember any moans or groans, pop over to the NSC that's what we're there for.whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

lol

I don't know about volume, but i think you need to set it to an AM channel.

I bought myself a handheld detector a few years back, handy bit of kit! It has a visual display as well as an audible setting.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Jane Louise, June 27, 2012 - This is the Convective thread. Banter or PMing would be more suitable!
Hidden by Jane Louise, June 27, 2012 - This is the Convective thread. Banter or PMing would be more suitable!

can i become a mod

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

NMM 12z Cape values etc remain similar but not interesting anymore on precipitation with nothing too heavy forecast, perhaps suggestive of less thundery weather? Who knows. The Models arent that much use now.

Posted

Has anyone else in the southeast noticed the amount of dust in the air?

I had my car valeted yesterday and today it looks like I shouldn't have bothered!!!!

I've noticed this several times when the air is unstable!!

Yep - there was loads of it on my colleagues car after work this afternoon, almost sand like.

Posted

MW, and tune to an empty part of the band or a weak station, this should give you around a 30 mile radius

I was going to give a more in depth explanation of the physics etc but I didn't want to be accused of going off topic!

Posted

30 miles :o i can hear static crashes from the ireland storm at the moment and im in wiltshire ...someting is deffo going on vhf has a lift on .hf is very crashy ..there is a lot of energy in the sky at the moment...

if your radio has long wave you could hear upto 1000 miles mw upto 400 miles the higher up the frequency the closer it is :) if you hear it on fm broadcast band ..turn off run away fast coz its to darn close :)

Posted

Is it worth heading to the south coast tonight?

Thats the same question I have, but i would have much further to travel and much more to lose if nothing happened

As you are only about an hour away from the south coast you could just keep a watch on the radar and if things start getting close to the coast you could then head down there. That is assuming you are driving of course (using public transport it will be more tricky). Having said that, Bristol doesnt look a too bad place to be for early in the morning.

I think (stress the word think) that if there is any thundery stuff heading to the coastline then it will remain electrically active as it comes inland onto the coast. Danger is, if you headed down there without seeing something heading that way first, everything could end up in Ireland and SW Wales as some models are showing.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

NMM 12z Cape values etc remain similar but not interesting anymore on precipitation with nothing too heavy forecast, perhaps suggestive of less thundery weather? Who knows. The Models arent that much use now.

I think that's what will become a problem for many in central, Southern and Eastern England! The PPN isn't forecast to get far enough east to develop storms over these areas, instead hitting the plume and heading north!

We have the Cape, the LI, the Dewpoints etc, but we need a trigger, and I can't find one for the above areas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was going to give a more in depth explanation of the physics etc but I didn't want to be accused of going off topic!

Never heard of it being on MW. I have two modern radios and MW doesn't exist, it's just AM and FM, and in the past, AM was what i used to pick up the sferics.

Back on topic, local forecasts haven't mentioned a single thing about anything thundery. Either there's going to be a big bust, or it's going to be down to the wire.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Storms

The Low clouds over last 24 hrs have been sandy brown in colour, i was going to mention this, must be from sahara, cars also covered in it

Posted

Never heard of it being on MW. I have two modern radios and MW doesn't exists, it's just AM and FM, and in the past, AM was what i used to pick up the sferics.

MW doesn't exist? By the way I'm an A licenced radio ham in case anyone was wondering about my credentials