IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 24th August '12>

Nick F

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sorry, I can't help being negative, there are not many good things to say about the current situation! I'm just echoing what people like Crew Cold, Cloud watcher and Carl often say. I'll try to be more optermistic in future though. LOL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

All I can see is a close by anvil cloud, no thunder heard, its all over i suppose (for Warwick) sad.png hope for more thunder please!

Images of cloud below:

http://postimage.org/image/3puwh0qd5/

http://postimage.org/image/6lv8nrcwl/

Please out your location in your profile mate, and welcome to NW :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I was unlucky but I always new that nothing would happen. I find it hard to believe that my day will come, it won't be this year anyway. Sometimes I think that the members from NW england are the best weather forecasters on here, because the weather here is so predictable.

pretty sure you were reporting a TStorm about 2 weeks ago, the one were people miles away in yorkshire and wolverhampton etc could actually see the lightning Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Anyone in Wycombe? Being reported that the football has been abandoned due to safety concerns and the weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

The sun has been out pretty much all day here with the temp touching 24c... Storms on all sides of the radar but as if by magic they melt away to sunshine..... I think my postcode is broken or something

Very rapid shower development to my east now, and off east they shall travel :@

Edited by Daveweiser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very dark out to the north and west, anvil over us now.

Take a look towards canvey, you may like what you see!!

Posted

Looks like one last one about to come over (according to current radar). Sky has gone dark to north-west again, haven't heard or seen anything yet though. These are very quick hitting.

Edit: Looks like it's crumbling apart actually. Has lost that 'thundery' look..if you get what I mean.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yes, the only storm this year was last week over the bay. . i was really talking about today though when I said I was unlucky. That storm was a one off where all the conditions caim together. I really feel sorry for you though as you seem to miss out a lot also. That storm last week was only very weak anyway, averaging about 1 strike per minute which is rubbish really. I'm greatful I got that at least.

Posted

Sorry, I can't help being negative, there are not many good things to say about the current situation! I'm just echoing what people like Crew Cold, Cloud watcher and Carl often say. I'll try to be more optermistic in future though. LOL.

You have every right to be negative, we live in one of the worst parts of the UK for T storm activity , even when they are forecast for here they very rarely happen , so you do become weary and sceptical when you hear the word thunder in forecasts, because 95% of the time there is no thunder. Today showed animated lightning on the TV forcast over south Lancs and Cheshire, i just laughed and dismissed it....... and who was right yet againrolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Just a couple of pics of the cell that gave me a decent strike and nice booms of thunder. Nothing special but looked mighty angry.

post-15744-0-43113500-1345910263_thumb.j

post-15744-0-60511800-1345910265_thumb.j

post-15744-0-71349800-1345910267_thumb.j

Posted

Tipping it down here, not heavy, but rumbling with thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ok , I got knocked off the Internet by a storm lol amazing purple/pink thunderbolt scared the life of me... Lasted 10 minutes but was blinkin good biggrin.png I want more now loltongue.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Hurray more thunder (Warwick, UK) will put my location in later. Its quite loud but no lightning hmm... well i saw some last night atleast lol. looks like it will carry on for a while or so!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Just a couple of pics of the cell that gave me a decent strike and nice booms of thunder. Nothing special but looked mighty angry.

Nice pics mate. Looked really potent coming towards us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
So to anybody that didn't at least hear a rumble, you have been most unlucky and your day will come. good.gif Especially considering the current situation.

I have to say, a few people have queried atmospheric changes that have decreased thundery activity on here, and i have to agree.

Back in the 80's i remember a week in Summer where there was a storm every day for a week, and they would rumble on for hours! And now i can't manage one in seven years, it's simply bizarre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well yet again we miss out on the South Coast, nothing even close to me here, it's not even rained here today, just big bubbly clouds screaming across the sky...what a let down...AGAIN !! :-(

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

A couple of distant rumbles around middle of the day. Steady rain all afternoon. Currently very heavy indeed. Drilling down..

Glad we cleared a drain out next to the house yesterday.

Posted

Yes, the only storm this year was last week over the bay. . i was really talking about today though when I said I was unlucky. That storm was a one off where all the conditions caim together. I really feel sorry for you though as you seem to miss out a lot also. That storm last week was only very weak anyway, averaging about 1 strike per minute which is rubbish really. I'm greatful I got that at least.

Yes even 1 strike per minute is regarded as amazing over these parts, especially at night, I saw 40 plus flashes but non near enough to hear the thunder, Infact to prove how rare this event was some of the younger generation were baffled by it and though it was something to do with a meteor shower, my facebook page was full of....OMG what was that weird flashing in the sky last night etc.

when I was a kid we knew exactly what night lightning was as it seemed far more common

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Nice pics mate. Looked really potent coming towards us!

Thanks AWD. The last pic is supposed to be at the beginning.