Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted

If cooling continues then hopefully we won't see such a strong PV setting up shop as we saw last year, a straw to clutch maybe plus it's still very much early days. Also I would have thought having heights over the pole already would help in any warming of the Strat?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

RIGHT !!...that's IT..I'm getting on a plane to the North Pole armed with a million tins of baked beans...anyone fancy coming ? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

so chio from reading today's posts from u it may not be a good start to w2012-13? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I truly despair of some folk on Net Wx. Even when chio posts objective posts some idiot jumps on his/her scooter and rushes round saying winter is over.

Just where di chio either say that or even hint at that?

repeated into the winter 2012-13 thread as its just as daft at the moment in there.

It really would be nice for some folk to learn to walk before pretending they can run.

I have very little idea about the Stratosphere but am trying to learn-why don't some of you lot do the same.

This winter, whatever it shows and especially IF it does not have lots of cold and snow is going to be real pain on this forum.

In addition to John`s plea for sanity just a little request.Some posters,perhaps new to this part of the forum, jump to wrong conclusions and drive everybody mad.

Have a read of Chiono`s opening post in this thread-it explains the basic workings and effects of the state of the stratosphere.

It`s not as straightforward as looking at normal weather charts and like John said we are still learning-me included.

Any serious questions then ask away but please whatever else try and think and read up a bit before posting in here.

Thanks.

Posted

In addition to John`s plea for sanity just a little request.Some posters,perhaps new to this part of the forum, jump to wrong conclusions and drive everybody mad.

Have a read of Chiono`s opening post in this thread-it explains the basic workings and effects of the state of the stratosphere.

It`s not as straightforward as looking at normal weather charts and like John said we are still learning-me included.

Any serious questions then ask away but please whatever else try and think and read up a bit before posting in here.

Thanks.

Mine was a serious question as heights over the pole should help promote warming of the Strat. Maybe I shouldn't bother posting in here then, if it upsets our senior met man.
  • Like 1

Posted

Mine was a serious question as heights over the pole should help promote warming of the Strat. Maybe I shouldn't bother posting in here then, if it upsets our senior met man.

We are just asking that folks who are new to this just try and read up a bit,maybe ask questions if not sure.We are concerned that some are just jumping in with knee jerk-winter is over -type comments because they have read something about the Stratosphere cooling.

Edited by phil n.warks.
  • Like 3

Posted

no it was not intended to yourself but was my rather blunt way compared to the much more diplomatic request from phil.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

We really do need to keep stratospheric temperature-profiles in some sort of perspective, I think...As far as I'm aware, they are simply one of many potentially-important indicators of what may happen; and, as such, need be considered alongside all the others. And not taken in isolation?

• Like 3

Posted

no it was not intended to yourself but was my rather blunt way compared to the much more diplomatic request from phil.

Apologies John, especially the senior bit of my rant.

Posted

Apologies John, especially the senior bit of my rant.

no worries and re your question, not for me drop chio a line if he has not seen your question yet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

If cooling continues then hopefully we won't see such a strong PV setting up shop as we saw last year, a straw to clutch maybe plus it's still very much early days. Also I would have thought having heights over the pole already would help in any warming of the Strat?

Yes, that certainly helps which is why I posted the 100 hPa chart.

Posted

Yes, that certainly helps which is why I posted the 100 hPa chart.

If those heights remain during the next few weeks would this be enough to disrupt the PV from gaining a foothold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

If those heights remain during the next few weeks would this be enough to disrupt the PV from gaining a foothold?

Not if the upper strat cools dramatically. I would guess that that signal would eventually override any tropospheric one.

Remember my last years motto: I have yet to see trop HLB's in a very cold strong strat vortex situation but would love to be proved wrong.

Not that we are anywhere near that at this moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Going to throw in a couple of more links here relating to BDC, EP Flux, Ozone Transport and impact on Stratosphere.

BDC Workshop Switzerland June 2012 http://www.atmosp.physics.utoronto.ca/C-SPARC/BDC-WS/Abstracts.htm

Some of these papers will be worth digging out.

SPARC Data Centre http://www.sparc.sunysb.edu/ Scientist required to sort through this lot !

Further Datasets http://www.sparc.sunysb.edu/html/data_links.html

C - not sure if this one is on the papers thread, looks good

Stratospheric versus Tropospheric Control of the Strength and Structure of

the Brewer–Dobson Circulation

gerber-JAS-2012.pdf

Posted

Thanks Matt.I was about to post something similar wrt signs higher up of the expected cooling.

I will just post a couple of images from the ECM instead just showing a gradual increase in zonal winds forecasted down to 10hPa.

post-2026-0-01661100-1350805755_thumb.gipost-2026-0-62195400-1350805779_thumb.gi

Nothing too dramatic yet but i guess to be expected now we are heading towards November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Spotted those last night too Phil. A mean looking patch of crimson at 1hpa for the 10 day forecast. The Wave 2 table on FU Berlin is an interesting review in hindsight looking back at the analysis from around October 10th. Need Ed to explain it further though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Here's the latest 30hpa Temperature chart which confirms the above, with below average temperatures currently.

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/STRAT/gif/pole30_nh.gif

Posted

Here's the latest 30hpa Temperature chart which confirms the above, with below average temperatures currently.

http://ds.data.jma.g...f/pole30_nh.gif

it may not stay that way though, the PV is currently directly over the pole. that could well change with forecast height rises?

Posted

it may not stay that way though, the PV is currently directly over the pole. that could well change with forecast height rises?

Don't confuse the trop vortex (which is seen on the model charts gfs,ECM etc) with the upper strat. The 100hpa strat charts equate bery closely with the trop 500mb heights charts we look at so many times each day as 100hp is at the bottom of the strat where it meets the top of the trop. The 30hpa temps in the strat are much higher up and events in the trop such as blocking over the pole will not directly affect what happens so high up in the strat. (Though that can happen some time later via a wave breaking into the strat from the trop). Anyway, looking at the current temp forecast at 30hpa, expect that chart to continue to show below av until we get to November when the forecast temp cuts across the dropping average.

Posted

Don't confuse the trop vortex (which is seen on the model charts gfs,ECM etc) with the upper strat. The 100hpa strat charts equate bery closely with the trop 500mb heights charts we look at so many times each day as 100hp is at the bottom of the strat where it meets the top of the trop. The 30hpa temps in the strat are much higher up and events in the trop such as blocking over the pole will not directly affect what happens so high up in the strat. (Though that can happen some time later via a wave breaking into the strat from the trop). Anyway, looking at the current temp forecast at 30hpa, expect that chart to continue to show below av until we get to November when the forecast temp cuts across the dropping average.

i'm on a steep learning curve here! i was just guessing that the trop reflects the state of the strat (i know there is a lag) and the lack of organisation of the vortex (forecast) was giving the impression that cooling may not be as quick as is feared. (here's hoping!)

Posted

i'm on a steep learning curve here! i was just guessing that the trop reflects the state of the strat (i know there is a lag) and the lack of organisation of the vortex (forecast) was giving the impression that cooling may not be as quick as is feared. (here's hoping!)

It does, especially when there is a strong strat vortex or weak one. I got the impression from your original post that you were thinking the trop pressure pattern would influence the strat conditions but its pretty well always the other way around when relevant. Sure the trop can affect the strat via wave breaking but that would take some time to propagate up to the 30hpa level we see on the chart referred to, if indeed it managed to have an effect. And when it comes to the strat, we are all still learning.

Posted

It does, especially when there is a strong strat vortex or weak one. I got the impression from your original post that you were thinking the trop pressure pattern would influence the strat conditions but its pretty well always the other way around when relevant. Sure the trop can affect the strat via wave breaking but that would take some time to propagate up to the 30hpa level we see on the chart referred to, if indeed it managed to have an effect. And when it comes to the strat, we are all still learning.

i suppose that now we are aware of the importance of the strat, it will be interesting to see the correlations and effects on the PV as we move into winter, whichever way it goes. would also be interesting to see if there are any over-riding factors which can come into play.