Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Stratosphere Temperature Watch 2012/2013

chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stratosphere, Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, Snow Prediction
Well all this is consistent with the NAO going negative during the 3rd week of November. We could be getting an arctic shot for early December. Edited by FrenchScotPilot1

Posted

Well all this is consistent with the NAO going negative during the 3rd week of November. We could be getting an arctic shot for early December.

There would be a lag in trop patterns from strat upper behaviour in next two weeks. However, if the split is trop led from below, we would see an immediate effect, though it might not be sustained.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Haven't seen a chart forecast like this (FI I know) since 2 winters ago.

post-4523-0-32044100-1352933165_thumb.pn

Unfortunately, the 0z does not look as good.

Posted Image

Posted

Unfortunately, the 0z does not look as good.

Posted Image

It couldn't look any better than the 18z ! The warming out of east asia continues to show and the vortex is still stretched though not split. One run but the trend maintained.

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It couldn't look any better than the 18z ! The warming out of east asia continues to show and the vortex is still stretched though not split. One run but the trend maintained.

What about the split though BA, its gone?

So are the warmer colours been shown around asia more important than the actual stratospheric vortex been split around GL?

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

C, can you recall where the post is where you worked through the table below. Was looking to re-visit that in respect of looking at possible solar activity years and looking at new analogs for December?

post-7292-0-94782400-1352968025_thumb.pn

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Interesting to look at analogues for cold stratosphere Novembers....

Current data: post-2478-0-31193300-1352968820_thumb.jp

Analogues: post-2478-0-02235800-1352968875_thumb.jp

Rolled forward into December..post-2478-0-71850800-1352968897_thumb.jp

This seems to suggest a bit of a reversal and also look where the warming is centred. The warm bubble starting to appear on long range forecasts is in this locale and it reaffirms my view that polar stratosphere will have a very displaced look about it this winter, with the Pacific side warmer, at least to start.

We are still on course for a lot of 'action' around early December (modelling late November) in the stratosphere thanks to lagged influence on wave 2 activity.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

C, can you recall where the post is where you worked through the table below. Was looking to re-visit that in respect of looking at possible solar activity years and looking at new analogs for December?

post-7292-0-94782400-1352968025_thumb.pn

It was in a winter thread about two threads ago. Also have yoou seen the chat on american wx regarding increased solar flux effect on the strat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yes, spotted that on Tuesday evening, quietly mentioned it in fun fair post. Quite grim reading ! Another thought I had was the raw QBO data where October ranked I think in top 5 - a lot of teleconnections playing each other.

With the QBO at that figure, tropical pipe intact so perhaps this is origin of 1hpa signals?

Edit, phone has mind and dictionary of its own!

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

It was in a winter thread about two threads ago. Also have yoou seen the chat on american wx regarding increased solar flux effect on the strat.

Does an increase in solar flux impact the Stratosphere within weeks or suddenly? Also are solar flux levels continuing to rise?

Edit; Just viewed the current solar flux index and it does show a rise over the last month or so. What is also interesting is any decline seems to have an immediate impact, or to my untrained eye it does.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Interesting to look at analogues for cold stratosphere Novembers....

Another mirror image to add to the list then...

Posted

Just for the record, as I did with the ECMWF seasonal update, the EUROSIP model has updated today which takes into consideration the ECMWF, UKMO, Meteo-France and NCEP longer term information and this update has changed in favour of the majority of the other seasonal forecast models and now signals a mild, wet and zonal winter period.

The model for the 3 month period of D/J/F points towards higher than average pressure to the south and south-west of the UK and lower than average pressure to the north or north-west of the UK and hence a general +NAO pattern in particular.

Either the majority of the seasonal models are going to fail miserably this winter now, or all the early signs which pointed (still point) towards a colder and more blocked winter will win out.

Fascinating, but to be honest, I am slightly on edge now given this update as overall combining the UKMO seasonal model with the ECMWF seasonal model and now the EUROSIP model makes, in my opinion, quite a noteworthy and powerful data set which all point towards zonal and predominantly mild.

M.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just for the record, as I did with the ECMWF seasonal update, the EUROSIP model has updated today which takes into consideration the ECMWF, UKMO, Meteo-France and NCEP longer term information and this update has changed in favour of the majority of the other seasonal forecast models and now signals a mild, wet and zonal winter period.

The model for the 3 month period of D/J/F points towards higher than average pressure to the south and south-west of the UK and lower than average pressure to the north or north-west of the UK and hence a general +NAO pattern in particular.

Either the majority of the seasonal models are going to fail miserably this winter now, or all the early signs which pointed (still point) towards a colder and more blocked winter will win out.

Fascinating, but to be honest, I am slightly on edge now given this update as overall combining the UKMO seasonal model with the ECMWF seasonal model and now the EUROSIP model makes, in my opinion, quite a noteworthy and powerful data set which all point towards zonal and predominantly mild.

M.

Yuk.

How often are these models updated, more especially the first two you mention. Because I imagine, they will also be likely to tip the other way, with regard to the bottled up cold scenarios. My hunch and that is all it is, using in part, the fantastic analysis provided within these forums, I am going for a cool to cold zonal based winter. From my viewpoint, I imagine knife-edge snow scenarios will arise on many an occasion throughout the winter. Some places witnessing a lot of snow and others having to put up with a lot of rain.

Thanks for your intelligent input Matt and others, I will watch things develop with bated breath. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

M.

I think it's a matter of stratospheric signals at the time of initiation which has caused these models to go mild. I especially thought this with the METO seasonal which flipped in the space of a month (after 2 months of northern blocking signals), perhaps owing to the colder than usual strat starting data. As a wildcard, it's possible this strat data has led the seasonals down the garden path. We can only hope.

Also, the CFS which went through a very mild patch for a month has once again started to show some promising colder trends/runs which may (or may not) be as a result of picking up on the synoptics which may help to disintegrate the vortex

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

I think it's a matter of stratospheric signals at the time of initiation which has caused these models to go mild. I especially thought this with the METO seasonal which flipped in the space of a month (after 2 months of northern blocking signals), perhaps owing to the colder than usual strat starting data. As a wildcard, it's possible this strat data has led the seasonals down the garden path. We can only hope.

Also, the CFS which went through a very mild patch for a month has once again started to show some promising colder trends/runs which may (or may not) be as a result of picking up on the synoptics which may help to disintegrate the vortex

I do hope your theory is correct regarding the model flip CC as long range model watching has been a bit of a kick in the stomach this week! My other recent concern is the increase in solar flux which may hinder us getting a more favourable strat? Other on here seem to be hinting this as a possibility?

Edited by Don

Posted

M.

I wonder how good are these models in integrating the Stratosphere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Continuing signs of wave number 2 rippling up and down the levels.

post-2026-0-28440700-1352992170_thumb.gipost-2026-0-21190200-1352992182_thumb.gi

and still weak zonal means modelled lower down.

post-2026-0-96507400-1352992289_thumb.gi

Hopefully this just reigns in a rampant Trophospheric vortex for a while longer keeping it disorganised untill we see further wave breaking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I think it's a matter of stratospheric signals at the time of initiation which has caused these models to go mild.

This link from the ecm website gives some info on eurosip and says that there are 52 ensemble members that make up the eurosip seasonal forecasts and of those 52 members, 4 have start date of 1st of each month and the remaining 48 have start dates from the last 12 days of the preceding month.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/seasonal/documentation/eurosip/index.html

Edited by Suburban Streamer
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Fog, Thunderstorms

Posted Image

That's not the beginnings of an SSW is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

-

Edited by panayiotis

Posted

Posted Image

That's not the beginnings of an SSW is it?

i rather doubt it tim. there are signs of some warmings at high levels and this is one of them reflected at 2hpa which is almost as high as you can go in the strat. given that the temp was very low, i suspect there has to be an adjustment higher at some point. an SSW is defined by the mean zonal winds reversing at 10hpa at 60N. we look a fair way from anything like that occuring. looking at stewarts posts today, i dont think we'll need one to disrupt the vortex anyway. (if he's right and so far this month, much of what he's forecast has come to fruition on the models.)

• Like 3