Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 4... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes...

Methuselah

Posted

Joe B says Europe going into wintery tank as Arctic presses it agenda.Coldest start to November for many a year, time will tell.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I must say, having read Chiono's contribution to the strat thread today, there does appear to be negative undertones to what he is saying. Reading between the lines, the first half of winter COULD be a write off in terms of SUSTAINED cold if the strat doesn't warm. I did say over a week ago that I thought the strat could pull a stunt like this against other, seemingly positive, factors.

Saying this, GP did say that there could be a period of cooling within the strat before ozone 'see-saws' back to the NH in time for Jan & Feb.

Yes your right reading between the lines it does sound like we can right off the first half of winter. With hopefully jan feb bringing the sustained cold and snow but we need the start to warm. Because if it carrys on cooling we could be in for another misserable winter again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Joe B says Europe going into wintery tank as Arctic presses it agenda.Coldest start to November for many a year, time will tell.

Obviously Joe B is talking nonsense, since the stratosphere is below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Are my eyes playing up?? Winter 2012/13 is over 5/6 weeks before it's even started?!

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

I am off before you all start writing 2013/14 off next ! fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some of the posts in here are bordering on ridiculous - Back to reality guys or your going to make this coming winter season VERY painful for yourselves..... Many factors affect our small island here, the strat temps are one piece of a very complicated puzzle.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

things change all the time cant predict one day to next smile.png bring on the end of next week biggrin.png

Things change every day like you said, so how do you know the end of next week won't change to mild biggrin.png

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I really want to know the obsession on writing off as much of a season as possible.

I may be missing something but its odd, why do it?

Just take each week as it comes and most of all enjoy our hobby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer

People see one mild chart and suddenly think it means winters over rofl.gif

Or see one cold chart and thinks an Ice Age is coming...

Edited by snowstorm445

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, storms in summer or any extreme!

Isn't the stratosphere cooling just a factor in all this? Or does it mean it's impossible to get cold and snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy weather in winter, dry and warm weather in summer
Posted (edited) · Hidden by reef, October 20, 2012 - Original post removed
Hidden by reef, October 20, 2012 - Original post removed

WINTER IS OVER, THE STRATOSPHERE IS BELOW AVERAGE MEANING NO SUSTAINED COLD, HOPEFULLY WINTER 2013-2014 WILL PROVE BETTER.

Edited by snowstorm445
Posted

I see Doylem's been up to his usual antics on the thread today.

Posted

I see Doylem's been up to his usual antics on the thread today.

Are you saying I am doylem haha? I did just post some cold charts for the end of October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

I really want to know the obsession on writing off as much of a season as possible.

I may be missing something but its odd, why do it?

Just take each week as it comes and most of all enjoy our hobby.

On the one hand, some people just like to cause trouble, they find the most inflammatory idea possible, chuck it in and then stand back to admire their 'power'. On the other hand a lack of knowledge goes a long way, a fixation on one aspect of something that is acknowledged to have many possible variables leads to overreaction.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

With another 6 weeks left until winter. I can't wait, fingers crossed we get something special.

Posted

Been looking at Accuweathers and Netweathers forecasts for my area from the 26th October until November, all saying highs of 7. Chilly.

Posted

Are you saying I am doylem haha? I did just post some cold charts for the end of October.

No, but a certain poster's post look remarkably similar to his.

Although I must say, you look live you may have gotten a touch of Doylemitis. Symptoms include cherry-picking data, ignoring criticism and making massively exaggerated claims. As far as I know there is no known cure if you do have it, so finger's crossed you don't. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Are my eyes playing up?? Winter 2012/13 is over 5/6 weeks before it's even started?!

You need to understand though that there is a lag time between stratospheric conditions and weather 'on the ground'. The state of the strat over the course of the next few weeks will most likely dictate the first portion of winter.....that is why the strat is of concern.