Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, a weak system moved south-eastwards overnight on the 1st/2nd December 2008 and gave pretty widespread snowfall over northern England, though many areas had just a dusting. By the time it got down to Norwich (where I was at the time) it was just rain, with a bit of sleet mixed in on the south-facing flank.

That system was then followed by a frontal snowfall in the NE on the 4th December, and the chart for this coming Monday bears similarities but it looks like the snow will be over with more quickly- probably a spell of snow overnight Sunday/Monday but back to rain by daybreak on Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We've just dipped below freezing now after a high of 3.5c late morning.

I can't really see it dropping much lower as the cloud comes in but if that means snow then I'll take it before frost anytime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Yes, a weak system moved south-eastwards overnight on the 1st/2nd December 2008 and gave pretty widespread snowfall over northern England, though many areas had just a dusting. By the time it got down to Norwich (where I was at the time) it was just rain, with a bit of sleet mixed in on the south-facing flank.

That system was then followed by a frontal snowfall in the NE on the 4th December, and the chart for this coming Monday bears similarities but it looks like the snow will be over with more quickly- probably a spell of snow overnight Sunday/Monday but back to rain by daybreak on Monday.

If i'm not mistaken the frontal fall on the 4th gave us about 6 inches of wet snow which was quite a suprise when I went outside to work that morning.

I believe areas further north than ourselves towards the Yorkshire Dales got even more.

TWS was this not followed by a threat of a fall of biblical proportions with severe warnings out but then it went the way of the pear right at the last moment.

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

If i'm not mistaken the frontal fall on the 4th gave us about 6 inches of wet snow which was quite a suprise when I went outside to work that morning.

I believe areas further north than ourselves towards the Yorkshire Dales got even more.

TWS was this not followed by a threat of a fall of biblical proportions with severe warnings out but then it went the way of the pear right at the last moment.

I remember all too well heavy widespread snowfall was forecast for the 4th or 5th but most of it fell as rain, but it still stayed cold for a few days more until about the 10th before what I believe was a rather quiet and average like December with no more wintry conditions until January

Posted

Some of the foggiest conditions I known for awhile driving back home from Mcr to Oldham - traffic was quite busy too. Should be another crisp sunny day tomorrow once the sleet/rain mix clears through overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Sorry for stupid question but what regional thread covers here in skegness thanks :)

Posted

Some of the foggiest conditions I known for awhile driving back home from Mcr to Oldham - traffic was quite busy too. Should be another crisp sunny day tomorrow once the sleet/rain mix clears through overnight.

According to the Met Office, most of it should fall as snow overnight before turning to sleet briefly

Posted

According to the Met Office, most of it should fall as snow overnight before turning to sleet briefly

I'll keep my fingers crossed for that smile.png

Sorry for stupid question but what regional thread covers here in skegness thanks smile.png

mmm...you might be in a bit of no man's land - BBC Lincolnshire provides you with links to Look North and East Midlands today so probably the Midlands thread?

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Temp now -0.1C and dropping with a dew point of -1C. Hoping to get a bit of snow overnight. Would be nice to wake up to even just a dusting. My other half is at work tomorrow in Dalby Forest on the NYMoors, I'm sure there will be a nice covering there by morning.

No coastal modification of the air for a change with the PPN coming from the NW so i'm guessing a decent chance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sorry for stupid question but what regional thread covers here in skegness thanks smile.png

Post wherever you want!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

mmm...you might be in a bit of no man's land - BBC Lincolnshire provides you with links to Look North and East Midlands today so probably the Midlands thread?

cheers :)

Posted

Just depends if Oldham council are interested in doing there job and gritting the roads like they usually fail to do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I must admit that I don't remember that- although I remember frequent ECMWF runs projecting cold north-easterly winds that never came off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

-4C at Carlisle.. if it wasn't for the cloud, I really impressive temperature could have been achieved there.

-1.5C here, if the front arrives, and it starts raining, while the temperature is subzero, then freezing rain is a concern.

Posted

Well north west weather are showing the smallest amount of PPN and all of it as rain but showing very low temps I don't know.

Well north west weather are showing the smallest amount of PPN and all of it as rain but showing very low temps I don't know.

Jo Blythe on Granada Reports is going for Sleet & Snow showers across the whole region tonight, settling on higher ground with slushy deposits to low ground, I'll go with that! :)

Posted

Turned foggy after sunrise in Bolton town centre, cleared and then became foggy again after sunset. Current temp +0.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Was it the miler ramper Dianne who did the forecast LOL

c.s

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Shap -5c, Carlisle -4c, Keswick -3c ...... cold.gif

It's -1.3c here but theres more cloud to the NW now so I expect the temps will start to rise a little, Could be nasty if it rains with such low temps atm.

Posted

Jo Blythe on Granada Reports is going for Sleet & Snow showers across the whole region tonight, settling on higher ground with slushy deposits to low ground, I'll go with that! :)

I watched the wrong weather forecast ha ha It was Diane the mild ramper.

That fog is getting even worse its so bad now.

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.

Jo Blythe on Granada Reports is going for Sleet & Snow showers across the whole region tonight, settling on higher ground with slushy deposits to low ground, I'll go with that! smile.png

Is that what she said? I missed the forecast.

Posted

Was it the miler ramper Dianne who did the forecast LOL

Ha ha you wrote that exactly the same time great minds :-)

c.s

Posted

Diane Oxberry is a mild ramper; she won't talk about snow unless it's actually falling from the sky and going to be disruptive and even then It's a word she struggles with.

TBH though, I can't see there being much in the way of snow across the NW region overnight.

Possibly a covering over the tops but nothing much to speak of so on this occasion maybe she's right but there again she probably mad as hell because she can't say "at least it will be mild"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

not looking to good for NW england

850 at -3 and DP above freezing that says rain to meunsure.png

East of the pennines looks good

850 at -5 and negative DPS

seems to be a mider sector on the western side of the PPN

On the plus side looking better next week for the NW

C.S

Posted

Hi guys! Live 193m ASL just outside of Huddersfield-near Longwood-any thoughts on snow settling at this height?smiliz39.gif