Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really

I have lived in darlington too mate and i have definitely seen snowless winters in the late ninetees and 00's

Well then, as for Oldham, there has never been a snowless Winter since I was born.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

There has never been a snowless winter in Leeds. Not even once.

There have been two snowless months however, Decembers 2002 and 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The BBC / Met Office timings are gonna be way out, somethings gonna be falling out of the sky here within the hour IMO, question is what??, if i lived a mile away at 1000ft then i know what it would be, not so sure at 600 though.

It's approaching way faster than anticipated. Still below freezing, so let's wait and see. The ground is frozen, so snow or freezing rain?

Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, Manchester, 93m / 305 feet asl.
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

Yep the uk is a funny old place thats why we all get excited by snow because most dont see it that much!! Only one place in uk guarenteed snow every winter is the highlands!! They still have animals there from the last ice age though like arctic hair and ptarmigan, i cant believe i live in durham and have never been toi the highlands i could drive there in about four hours!!

Yes, quite a few snowy settlements there like Tomintoul, Braemar, Balmoral etc. A stones throw from the ski resorts if that's your thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

darlington has a low lying micro climate though and newton aycliffe if we have any members from these areas ask them!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Variety, Warm Sunny days, low temperatures some snow, thunderstorms

Well I'm 60 in a few years sorry.gif so I'm not as energetic at this time as I used to be, so night and good luck you all. good.gif

Posted

Pennines are definitely splitting the precipitation, those to the west are going to struggle.

Posted

It is strange though as I say that the Met Office would decide to put off precipitation by 3 hours (after the teatime update today)

Looks like they have got it wrong though ... as Arron said, it's fast approaching.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

It's approaching way faster than anticipated. Still below freezing, so let's wait and see. The ground is frozen, so snow or freezing rain?

Good that the ground is frozen, at least if it is snow it will settle, freezing rain still better than ordinary mild gunk rain though, at least it denotes cold!!! BTW i have lived in a good few different places and i have never had a snowless winter, ive had many crap ones between 89 and 08 though but none completely snowless.

Posted

What time is it getting here haha im all confused with the met office confusing me regarding times.

It took about 3 hours for the leading edge to go from Edinburgh to Newcastle, Manchester is not too much further south so 3-6.

Posted

Pennines are definitely splitting the precipitation, those to the west are going to struggle.

Indeed I mentioned it briefly earlier that the models were going for a clear split.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Light rain here night all

Posted

I think my worse ones would have been sort of 1997-1999 (Although I remember having to move out of my caravan in November 1999 due to frozen pipes. XD)

2006-07 was also rather non-eventful (may have been a snowless November 2006? Although I do remember the festive period was very frosty).

Posted

Are you counting wet sleet deposits in with your 'snowless winters' because trust me at 35 years an Oldhamer there have been a few almost barren winters during the 90's that felt mild overall and maybe just had the one or two 'fringe' events with a rain/sleet/wet snow mix. Mind you Oldham itself can have it's own microclimate, with low-lying area's getting rain and a few minutes drive into the hills receiving the white fluffy stuff.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Think it'll be this area that will struggle the most as the heavier areas of precip go to the west and east.

Posted

Indeed I mentioned it briefly earlier that the models were going for a clear split.

Manchester has a sleet shower forecast for around 5am ... further west than that and it's pretty much all rain, but further East it's all to play for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-lol, nice one Backtrack.

I love to know about everyone's weather, and to tell people from other regions that we have got snow up here in the North East, while they haven't !

Joking apart, it is interesting to watch say, a front moving across the country , whether into or out of the North East and follow other people's reactions. I just didn't realise that the more localised threads were reserved for times when it gets really busy, like later next week!!??

Hope you get some later (snow, that is lol),

Karlgood.gif

haha, which happens every winter unfortunately :( xD

Posted

Good that the ground is frozen, at least if it is snow it will settle, freezing rain still better than ordinary mild gunk rain though, at least it denotes cold!!! BTW i have lived in a good few different places and i have never had a snowless winter, ive had many crap ones between 89 and 08 though but none completely snowless.

Freezing rain would be really interesting to see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

NOW SNOWING I REPEAT SNOWING

Posted

Observation was a little slow for timing but have now looked more closely..

2-3am - Leeds

3-4am - Manchester

Posted

Observation was a little slow for timing but have now looked more closely..

2-3am - Leeds

3-4am - Manchester

Thanks going bed and getting up at 3 :-)

Posted

Considering the GFS has barely given anything from this (2.7mm max) i've looked at this from a nowcast point of view along with NMM.

Posted

I think the main band is going to be more to the east of me, so I'm calling it a day. Hopefully this is the start of one those 'good' winters we all look back on. Anything approaching 2010 will do me smile.png

Edited by dodgeredee