Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Meanwhile, the forecast low of GFS between -3C and -4C looks way, way off - I guess they never factor in the wind. Currently -1.1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes it seems the models and the like are way off tonight; it looks being colder in coastal areas than inland in some cases, which is somewhat bizarre. If it continues this way it may well go down as one of the all round forecasting howlers from all points of forecasting..

Posted

The normally frost-prone locations in the Vale of York are only just below freezing (Church Fenton -0.3C). Truly odd.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-2.7c here, Keswick -4c and Shap is -5c, could fall even lower before sunrise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looks like it has bottomed out at -5c here....not bad because at 2.30am it was only -3

It's a beautiful morning with all surfaces white, something which hopefully will be repeated tomorrow morning although with it being snow rather than frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Cloud increasing in the west and a line of showers have drifted in from the Irish Sea.

Yes the satelite is showing a narrow line of showers heading across the Merseyside Area towards Cheshire.

Much to far south for me but interesting for those in that neck of the woods.

There is a fair clump of precipitaion now showing across ROI which looks to be heading our way; would that be the first signs of the front for overnight tonight or enhanced shower activity ahead of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

nothing of interest whatsoever, just rain here I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Overnight low of -2.9c Currently -2.7c Dew point -4.1c on a N/W. cold.gif

Posted

A bit of patchy cloud coming over now.

If its armed with seasonal gifts of snow then bring it on otherwise please go away a don't spoil the low temperatures we currently have.

Posted

A chilly -2.8'c this morning, should help cooling ahead of the front later on to give us a flurrie or two for a couple of hours. Rime frost covering nearly everything exposed outside before the sun came up, The planetary conjunction of Mercury-Venus-Saturn made the clear morning that more better.

Posted

Lovely winters morning here with a heavy frost coating most things.

Getting a great acoustic effect I assume connected with the cold still air, I live a couple of miles from the M61 and the railway line and at the moment they sound as close as the end of our garden. :)

Posted

Quite an obvious bank of cloud to our SW now which ties in the the shower activity showing on the radar.

How far away the cloud is though is difficult to judge due to high moorland partially blocking our view in that direction.

Some lovely colouring in that cloud, the type of oranges and steel greys that only seem to show when the conditions are very cold.

Temperatures have started to respond now, probably due to the cloud and have now climbed to -3.8c but all in all, a lovely winters morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

According to my car it's -6.0c in Keswick, just arrived at work really enjoyed my drive this morning, a stunning winter sunrise over the frozen landscape with shallow mist slowly rising. Very very cold, can we keep this weather please :)

Posted

Fell to -3.3C in the end, currently -2.1C and everything still frozen solid, the frost was really harsh last night actually,even if the actual temperature did not fall that low.

Posted

Lovely hard frost this morning, it was -3c when I woke at 8am so it might have got lower than that earlier on. Now the sun has kindly took the frost away from my car. Hopefully there will be some frost pockets in the valleys and hollows when I go for walk this afternoon.

The planetary conjunction of Mercury-Venus-Saturn made the clear morning that more better.

I don't have any astronomy equipment but the skies were awesome last night for star gazing. To my naked eye I noticed 3 bright like objects very close to each other were those the 3 planets you mentioned?

Posted

According to my car it's -6.0c in Keswick, just arrived at work really enjoyed my drive this morning, a stunning winter sunrise over the frozen landscape with shallow mist slowly rising. Very very cold, can we keep this weather please smile.png

Has Dewent Water started to ice over yet? One of the best views in the Lakes once that freezes over and is covered in snow, was about 4/5 inches thick by Christmas 2010, hope we get a repeat this year!

Posted

Jupiter was up alongside Aldebaran and another star last night aswell, but the show stealer was definitely Mercury-Venus-Saturn this morning off to the southeast above the rising sun. The frost made for some tricks obs with the camera and scope given it was -2.8'c and anything exhuding moisture soon froze over, I didn't dare to be out in such conditions for any longer than a hour at a time and looking at the rime fozen over the surfaces this morning it seems that was a good call.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just a heads up as to what we can expect tonight:

It was -1.0C when an Irish Sea streamer hit about half an hour ago. It fell as rain. No snow, no icy rain, no sleet. Rain!

Posted

Temps last night fell to -3.1 c and is currently -1.4 c. Looks another cracking day, we'll we get snow tonight I wonder, I highly doubt it but our chance will come as December progresses, I hope!

Posted

According to my car it's -6.0c in Keswick, just arrived at work really enjoyed my drive this morning, a stunning winter sunrise over the frozen landscape with shallow mist slowly rising. Very very cold, can we keep this weather please smile.png

It'l be back on Wednesday, after the blip.. hopefully with colder -6/-7 uppers over us cold.gif