Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just to add, I can see there being quite a problem with freezing rain when the precipitation arrives in places that are below about 0.5c. .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, ice.

Here in Workington the temp is slowly rising currently 1.6C.

It was a beautiful sunny and cold day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Light rain falling now temp steady at 3.2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

2.2C and rain rain rain rain rain. Same old same old. Can't wait to move out of this country.

It would be cheaper to move to Aviemore or Braemar?

Temperature steady at -1°C here, though I suspect it'll be going up shortly. Albemarle is at -3°C according to the Met Office. I still think we'll only see 1-2 hours of snow around midnight, then rain.

I notice Shap is hovering around freezing, and has actually got a touch colder in the last hour - I wonder if its snowing up there.

Edited by Alza

Posted

2c no frost tonight.... ain't going to be getting anything but a few sleety flakes at best before Rain sets in. At least I'll see it before the bed beckons lol

BBC Countryside forecast played events down this coming week, sure winds are going to be from a colder direction for the majority of time but they didn't project huge amounts of precipitation.

And no wonder because that Northerly(if albeit brief) has been downgraded in terms of length and even potency! Although once we get down to the more detail side of things, we may see things upgrade again.

As it has been recently, its been cold, but wind direction and potency has let us down, even the Easterly via a scandi high is producing marginal upper air temps for those in the East!

Don't really hold out much hope regarding the front coming in from the West, we don't tend to get a lot of rainfall from these simple West to East set ups although with snowfall involved, strange things can tend to happen with PPN so who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

1.7C now and still raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It would be cheaper to move to Aviemore or Braemar?

Temperature steady at -1°C here, though I suspect it'll be going up shortly. Albemarle is at -3°C according to the Met Office. I still think we'll only see 1-2 hours of snow around midnight, then rain.

I notice Shap is hovering around freezing, and has actually got a touch colder in the last hour - I wonder if its snowing up there.

The forecast for Braemar shows a high of -1C on one day, and no day exceeds 0C with lows of -8C, and heavy snow. Just move to the Grampians!

-1.0C and rising very slowly - looking at the 5 minute radar, it may still be below freezing by the time the front arrives. Not long to go now.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

We have very light snow at present, will be interesting to see if it gets any heavier and deposits a cover before quickly turning to rain. In these situations the air often cools as it rises over the central fells aiding evaporative cooling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

Dewpoint just about to go into positive numbers, and a recent temp rise MEANS i wont have to endure the pain of standing duty on lampost watch tonight. Better luck tues night with some back edge snow hopefully ?

Been a cracking winters day today though..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Dewpoint just about to go into positive numbers, and a recent temp rise MEANS i wont have to endure the pain of standing duty on lampost watch tonight. Better luck tues night with some back edge snow hopefully ?

Been a cracking winters day today though..

Not much chance of seeing any down here then. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

post-12276-0-48145100-1354484575_thumb.p

post-12276-0-21445600-1354484581_thumb.p

post-12276-0-40649500-1354484593_thumb.p

Hi-res ECMWF meteograms for Middlesbrough (top), York (middle) and Carlisle (bottom)

ECMWF carry a hefty snow signal for Boro' and York on these overnight- expect that to be tempered, but with roughly 10mm of rain to fall, a large window for snow- 00z to 06z the chance for NE England, parts of inland Cumbria and North Yorkshire.

Posted

on TWO I see reports of light snow in the SE.. so there's hope for people in the NE.

Posted

well the meto seem to have upgraded from rain to sleet at first tonight for doncaster http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/doncaster_forecast_weather.html

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything really
  • Location: Saddleworth, historically in West Yorkshire. 198m asl

Still doesn't look like any precipitation has arrived yet here ... Needs to arrive soon if I am to record snowfall but I may call it a day tonight since the rain is almost guaranteed to arrive at least as early as Midnight - 1am.

Tomorrow looks bleak with cold temperatures coupled with rain for most with highs of 3-9'C East to West, generally.

Sleet/snow definitely in question for the usual spots at altitude.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Im right yesterday I was expecting some freezing rain tonight and guess what? it is proved right. Winds are coming in directly from the warm sea so the temperatures should creep up gradually overnight.

Brief spell of snow before turns to rain? Its not really a big deal.

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted

5 minute radar - precipitation moving east faster than anticipated I think, and shows no signs of weakening

0cbd004a35764622b16d2da.png

Edited by Aaron