Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Ditto Lorenzo,was going to post one of the January 1984 charts, as there are plenty to choose from! What a winter month, (my all time favourite!) It snowed nearly every day here of that month. The snow was up to my hips!

One of my favourite months too if not the favourite though part of our roof did collapse when the snow slid from the upper roof onto the back room extension below.in mid month. Was living in Highland Perthshire at the time.

Here a fresher day today but cloudier and more showery than forecast. Currently 5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

One of my favourite months too if not the favourite though part of our roof did collapse when the snow slid from the upper roof onto the back room extension below.in mid month. Was living in Highland Perthshire at the time.

Here a fresher day today but cloudier and more showery than forecast. Currently 5C.

Remember it well for getting temporarily lost in a blizzard with a mate while we were off our heads on mushrooms. The snow was interestingly glittery and we weren't bothered by the cold at all... Those were the BC days... Sighs...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I think this would be the lowest ever (-18'C) 850hPa temperatures to hit Scotland?

cfs-2-2712.png?12

Pity wasn't being forecast for end of November! drinks.gif

Posted

Can't really join in on Top Trumps, as unable to find any 70's and 80's charts from Southern Hemisphere, and most storms I remember were short lived, potent, and welcomed in terms of rainfall.

Anyway, cool\cold day with some heavy showers passing through which ruined the viewing of my new motor!!!!!!!

post-2849-0-09273600-1352571216_thumb.jp blum.gif (I wish)

Posted

Hi Everyone, not been on here for a while :) Winter rubber going onto the cars in two weeks from now, Snow shovels, brushes and gear already in the boot...so bring it on :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, looks nice and sunny for my visit to Al Khobar.

http://www.weather-f...orecasts/latest

Flight's at 6 am on Monday morning. That'll be fun.

Slight contrast with the weather for Oslo for my second trip later in the week. No snow forecast though. sad.png

EDIT. Cripes - glad I'm not going to SA in August - I'd melt.

average-temperature-saudi-arabia-al-khobar.png

EDIT. Was checking out photos and came across this:

Al-Khobar-k7t-122215.jpg

Em, ok.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well, looks nice and sunny for my visit to Al Khobar.

Flight's at 6 am on Monday morning. That'll be fun.

Slight contrast with the weather for Oslo for my second trip later in the week. No snow forecast though. sad.png

EDIT. Cripes - glad I'm not going to SA in August - I'd melt.

average-temperature-saudi-arabia-al-khobar.png

EDIT. Was checking out photos and came across this:

Al-Khobar-k7t-122215.jpg

Em, ok.

Aye ye canny beat holiday memories!

Weather is pretty boring at present dull and wet. Quite a bit of snow up on Glencoe today. however might be a few weeks before any low level snow prospects. Well done to the Jags today 5-1 against Dunfermline!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Al-Khobar-k7t-122215.jpg

Em, ok.

I just about wet myself when I saw this! Must be one of the funniest and most pointless things I have ever seen.rofl.gif

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fine clear day here today , frosty start and still chilly. Still no definitive map on the models or the Stratosphere charts.

Thinking the next week or so of runs will reveal all and unfold where December is heading.

Posted

I just about wet myself when I saw this! Must be one of the funniest and most pointless things I have ever seen.rofl.gif

Caption: "Excuse me Sir, is this the queue for the Wallace Arnold Mystery Tour?"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Caption: "Excuse me Sir, is this the queue for the Wallace Arnold Mystery Tour?"

Or:

"Say cheese!"

Grey, damp & chilly this morning. Ensembles not showing anything wonderful either. Time to book that flight to Lapland.

(Edit later in pm... booked the flight, away this evening. Well, as far as the north coast anyway. Not all of us have glamorous jobs in hydrocarbon-rich industries eh, SS? blum.gif )

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

(Edit later in pm... booked the flight, away this evening. Well, as far as the north coast anyway. Not all of us have glamorous jobs in hydrocarbon-rich industries eh, SS? blum.gif )

Glamorous? Was awright when young, free and single (ok not with Saudi as a destination), but more a try to avoid too much thing now unless destination looks cool.

Saudi Aramco are in control of the second biggest oil reserves in the world and it looks like they want oor wee co (uni spin-out) to be their main gas hydrate/flow assurance experts. Will pay the bills for many years so I'm off to bed in an hour or so as needs must!

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

What on earth is that a picture of SS ?? Looks like a bunch of toilet roll or a massive chunk of dirty ice?

Posted

massive chunk of dirty ice?

It's water with a similar structure to ice but with cavities that accommodate natural gas components such as methane. Stable up to e.g. 25C at pipeline pressures. Water freezing at room temp. Was costing petrobras (photo) $1 million a day in lost production. Oooch.

01_molekuel_e.gif

Me burning some for Nat Geo documentary (think I posted some point in the past).

snowball_hw.jpg

Freezing cold on the hand as the hydrate ice melts, warm on the tips of the fingers from the (methane burning) flame.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Aaaah Thanks SS, I remember the shaving foam on fire picture now!

Posted

Cool day here but dry temperature of 3c when I was cleaning car at 3.00pm and overcast. Currently 0c and was out about an hour ago and saw a fairly large falling star (meteorite).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Share the wealth CMD... Is winter over??! I will head over to the TWO model thread which I find quite a bit more readable then NWs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hey everyone, I know I'm the only one on here at this time but I've just finished my winter forecast, which is, pending the odd edit here and there, my final one, unless things change majorly. I know most of you will be happy with it, though whether or not it comes to fruition is quite another thing.

https://forum.netweather.tv/blogs/entry/4502-lomond-snowstorm39s-winter-forecast-201213/

Posted

Currently -2c here and clear sky. Newly dug garden and freshly ploughed fields all benefitting from this mornings frost.

One to watch and something which the GFS has been playing out time and again recently, watch the low pressure develop off eastern US/Canada. Quite a steep thermal gradient and strong jet streak help to develop the low. In some runs the low heads quite far south or doesn't develop strongly, but this could be interesting next week:

post-2844-0-48876200-1352706984_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-57879600-1352707030_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-45081800-1352707039_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-51622900-1352707048_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-29454900-1352707059_thumb.pn

post-2844-0-43261600-1352707072_thumb.pn

The ECM brings the low through but doesn't cook it anything as strongly as the GFS, ending up with this at a similar time:

post-2844-0-49088400-1352707273_thumb.pn

It could be an interesting week, if you like storms :good:

Posted

2.4oC with an overnight low of 0.4oC. Pretty dismal morning here as you can see by the webcam shot. Just picking up some rain now.

Most impressive forecast by LS by the way! There IS a God!w00t.gif

post-1989-0-92246300-1352711373.txt

Posted

Hello from the KLM lounge at Amsterdam airport where I'm stuck for the next few hours awaiting my connection.

Frost the morn. If it was not bad enough getting up at 2.30 am, had then to scrape the car too!

Nice forecast LSS. Largely what my cat is predicting.

Meanwhile, looks like after a milder incursion it's back to more cool to chilly Nov. weather.

t850Midlothian.png

Posted

Morning all, grey and now raining @ 4C. Weekend was nondescript to say the least, and tomorrow looking wet and wild.

Weird Rainbow very early this morning before the rain came in, very strange.

post-2849-0-86244300-1352714679_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-83623000-1352714680_thumb.jp