Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

belive his outta here,shame he dont take another certain someone with him?

Every morning before the mods are about i have to read the same negative drivel.

Anyway anyone know where i can view the ukmo when it comes out as,they out and nw doesnt seem to have them when they come out?

cheers sam x

it ok i got it cheers, iam learning folkes so can anyone tell me if that is a scandi on one of the last pages of the 0z ukmo run?yeh i know its fi just want to know if i reading it right?

Posted

it ok i got it cheers, iam learning folkes so can anyone tell me if that is a scandi on one of the last pages of the 0z ukmo run?yeh i know its fi just want to know if i reading it right?

if you mean a scandi high on the UKMO T144 chart then im afraid there isn't one, that chart may look cold but the upper air temperature is not cold enough for snow esp on low ground, thats if we actually have the precipitation at that timeframe anyway

http://www.meteociel...44-21.GIF?28-06

as for the negativity and i assume you mean me, its not negativity its realism, sure there are plenty more opportunities down the line for snow but for the next 7 days its unlikely we will see widespread snow, but it will be chilly at least, nothing out of the ordinary for early winter though

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted

I keep saying it, but this is not poor output; sure, it may not be snowmaggedon but the blocking is there and the vast majority of the country remains below average... Not bad for early December!

Posted

my statements about what the models were showing, weren't deleted, i expected my moaning to be deleted thats all

i have seen these charts for 5 years now and have seen downgrade after downgrade except for 2010, so i know not to raise my expectations if i see good charts at T192 but i always get suckered in i can't help it

by the way ECM is poor that easterly has gone, who expected it to still be there this morning ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I keep saying it, but this is not poor output; sure, it may not be snowmaggedon but the blocking is there and the vast majority of the country remains below average... Not bad for early December!

Ok but still big downgrades compared to what was being shown for the corresponding times a few days ago,

Posted

Some devastatingly poor output this morning butis the ECM gonna save us at 216 again.

ECH1-192.GIF

some realism at last

no its not Bartlett stuff, but its just a nornal cold snap and us greedy lot want more than a few chilly days

Posted

I don't like reading the model thread much during winter, too many rank amateurs with their rank histrionics, panic merchants, doom merchants, wind up merchants, silly and inane one liners by those who think they are Oscar Wilde, people who hang onto every single chart on every single run on every single nuance.

It is like panning for gold, trying to find the nuggets amongst the dross.

Unfortunately the above comment I made yesterday is creeping into this thread now

Posted

And the reason i dont get excited by half an inch of snow is not because i am 15 and only remember 2010, its because i remember the 80s when we used to get decent winters every year.

Posted

PS - I am certainly not writing anymore than current 'cold spell' off, i am still very optimistic for the rest of the winter.

Posted

And the reason i dont get excited by half an inch of snow is not because i am 15 and only remember 2010, its because i remember the 80s when we used to get decent winters every year.

do you think 2010 was overrated, it was pretty good here, but its nothing compared to 1963 or 47, or even some snowy spells in the 80s although i was too young to remember but i have photos of it 87

Posted

do you think 2010 was overrated, it was pretty good here, but its nothing compared to 1963 or 47, or even some snowy spells in the 80s although i was too young to remember but i have photos of it 87

For me Dec 2010 yes, my biggest single fall was about 6 or 7 inches, but places only 15 miles away got 2 foot, 2009/2010 here was a stonker but i lived in Salford back then, both very good though compared to the dross before then.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Its not hard to read charts?

obviously i as thick as doo doo then!

And i will say theres alot of people who ask advice and are still learning,so thats a bit of an arrogant statement really?

Many a time my friends have seen charts sitting on the screen on my pc and they always say.What the hell is that,do you understand that?lol

I reply sort of.

My friends are always asking me for the latest updates on here.

This winter in paticular is so much better looking than last year at least

oh the thrill of the winter models rollarcoaster!

Funny things, charts, Floaty: the ones that look like those on the '60s weather forecasts, I can read like the back of my hand; however, some of the modern ones look like a collection of Jackson Pollock's 'masterpieces'!

Posted

For me Dec 2010 yes, my biggest single fall was about 6 or 7 inches, but places only 15 miles away got 2 foot, 2009/2010 here was a stonker but i lived in Salford back then, both very good though compared to the dross before then.

but do you still rate the 80s as better than 2009 and 2010, dec 2010 was very good here but that was because the previous decade was total crap so even the 6 inches i got felt like a proper pasting in 2010

Posted

but do you still rate the 80s as better than 2009 and 2010, dec 2010 was very good here but that was because the previous decade was total crap

80s and obvously 90/91 still better than anything, i developed my desperation for snow from looking on the countryfile every sunday hoping for school to be shut because i hated it that much and it just continued as a habbit, i gave up until i just missed out in feb 09 and got back into it, but i was in midlands in the 80s anyway so was better placed to benefit from Easterlies.

Posted

we acutally had quite a potent cold spell in feburary this year, ok so it wasn't a snowfest, and it wasn't nationwide, but i recorded -13c and a few -7c minimums in that spell, people seem to forget that and classed is as a totally mild winter

if we had to wait till February again for a decent cold spell then i suspect that it will soon be forgotten again if it only lasted a week like this year

its best if snow and cold is spread out over three months, a 10 day spell in dec, jan and feb would suit me, so 30 days in total, is that too much too ask ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Still a slider style low shown on both models around 6th Dec, could provide interest, as long as uppers are cold enough before or if low arrives

I remember a similar setup being shown in Dec 2010 for around Wed 22nd, low didnt happen but still ended up with snow

Posted

Funny things, charts, Floaty: the ones that look like those on the '60s weather forecasts, I can read like the back of my hand; however, some of the modern ones look like a collection of Jackson Pollock's 'masterpieces'!

This I do agree with RP, charts back then were so much easier to read, nowadays you need a degree in spirograph to follow them.

Posted

80s and obvously 90/91 still better than anything, i developed my desperation for snow from looking on the countryfile every sunday hoping for school to be shut because i hated it that much and it just continued as a habbit, i gave up until i just missed out in feb 09 and got back into it, but i was in midlands in the 80s anyway so was better placed to benefit from Easterlies.

I was a sixties and seventies child, I remember 67 and I think it was 74 which produced the goodies, but for me 78/79 is the gold standard too which other winters should be judged by.

Posted

we acutally had quite a potent cold spell in feburary this year, ok so it wasn't a snowfest, and it wasn't nationwide, but i recorded -13c and a few -7c minimums in that spell, people seem to forget that and classed is as a totally mild winter

if we had to wait till February again for a decent cold spell then i suspect that it will soon be forgotten again if it only lasted a week like this year

its best if snow and cold is spread out over three months, a 10 day spell in dec, jan and feb would suit me, so 30 days in total, is that too much too ask ?

Those of us in the West felt last February was a non event really, uppers weren't terribly cold resulting in freezing rain for a few days, which was awful. Edited by Seven of Nine