Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 - Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Well, northern Italy is a lot snowier than most of Britain.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well, northern Italy is a lot snowier than most of Britain.

Really? I'm not referring to the Alps, regular low Northern Italy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Yeah, check the averages for Milan, in January, it has averages colder than Braemar, and in December, the average is comparable to somewhere like Altnaharra. It also appears to get frequent heavy snowfalls, a quick skeg on YouTube shows some very impressive results, so I think it's fair to say that it's a lot snowier than Leeds, or Newcastle, or Sheffield, and way snowier than London.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Depending on who you ask our excessively mild winters are both a blessing and a curse. I still feel short changed at times when places way further south than us have heavy snow and low temperatures and we get mild muck.

It's mad to think we share a latittude with places that take Polar bears, sea ice and tundra in their stride yet everything has to fall into place here to get any kind of winter-like weather to materialise.

The UK and Ireland stand defiantly warm amongst their frozen neighbours. They are truly the land of perpetual autumn.

Posted

Once again it seems the models have overestimated the blocking and cold, and underestimated the Atlantic lows (different to what some say they do, while the MetO 6-15 day outlook which certain 'big' posters bashed may near the mark) and any decent frost as forecast by the models or Met Office for East Devon yesterday is once again wiped off the forecast, like every time since mid December. There was a good window of 2-3 days showing next week but its virtually closed now.

Quickly becoming one of the worst winters I can remember in my corner of East Devon (at least for min temps), which got hardly any lying snow either apart from a temporary 1-2cm one morning. At least I briefly saw decent snow in Surrey before I had to leave the country for a week that night..

Posted

Depending on who you ask our excessively mild winters are both a blessing and a curse. I still feel short changed at times when places way further south than us have heavy snow and low temperatures and we get mild muck.

It's mad to think we share a latittude with places that take Polar bears, sea ice and tundra in their stride yet everything has to fall into place here to get any kind of winter-like weather to materialise.

The UK and Ireland stand defiantly warm amongst their frozen neighbours. They are truly the land of perpetual autumn.

blame the Atlantic