Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ December 1st 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Hmm! It's a positively mild 8c here. And there was I thinking winter had started. Oh! What fools these mortals be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

After a stunning weekend a bit damp and soggy here today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Good morning everyone.

catch you all later tc x

Mornin each. Come on, come on, shake a leg. Where is everyone? ohmy.png

Have a good day all. smile.png

Morning ladies and all,

*yawns and stretches* I'm a bit late getting out of my pit this morning.... it's one of those days when if I didn't have places to go and people to see I could quite happily stay there ! But I'm sure my day will be good when it gets going, I hope everyone has a good Monday...don't let the mild damp blip of today get your week off to a bad start...

....there is lots of good stuff to look forward to angel.gif

Posted

Hmm! It's a positively mild 8c here. And there was I thinking winter had started. Oh! What fools these mortals be!

don't worry, we're in the mild wedge at the mo-

h850t850eu.png

it'll be gone by 3pm! back to cold!

Posted

10.c here, but that's just gonna be an odd day of mild. Back to the cold tonight and the charts are trending towards an easterly in FI, still a long way a away but it's the trends were after, who knows, look east? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Indeed, seems all the decent charts just get down graded all the time, any real cold blast remains firmly in FI and could miss us again as far as any snow is concerned.

Should remain cold though on the whole, but without the white stuff that just means higher fuel bills to me.

The SE of the UK should be 200/300m higher, that would do the trick in these marginal times, or sticking out into the North sea by another 200/300 miles to catch all the snow thats usually out there moving South! crazy.gif

Edited by MKsnowangel
sea not see - sorted for you !

Posted

Morning all

Yes, certainly different today. I was getting all in the Christmas mood with the beautiful frosty days and was going to buy some presents today, but this rain is putting me off.

Ah well, it has to be done.

Looking forward to the cold coming back!

Wouldn't worry guys it is a just a mild blip..

down to 2-0 tonight so touch of grass frost in rural areas..

Then sub 0 probs see a -4 - -5 this week down here..

Day temps Wednesday/Thursday don't look much above 3-4 cold.gif

At this stage it looks like the Atlantic wants to make an attack Friday with temps around 8-10 on the coast..

Edited by Surrey

Posted

Indeed, seems all the decent charts just get down graded all the time, any real cold blast remains firmly in FI and could miss us again as far as any snow is concerned.

Should remain cold though on the whole, but without the white stuff that just means higher fuel bills to me.

The SE of the UK should be 200/300m higher, that would do the trick in these marginal times, or sticking out into the North sea by another 200/300 miles to catch all the snow thats usually out there moving South! crazy.gif

Hi Snowray,

I have to agree with you. If we take ourselfs back 10/14 days, according to most of the model runs we should of been under an easterly flow today and this week with moderate snow showers. That was the main trend. Instead, today we could top 10c and its raining.

I always remain optimistic and at the end of the day it's only weather, but we are always chasing cold +144hrs away. I just hope that this time in 2 weeks we are not all sitting here waiting for the cold to arrive from models progging cold 2 weeks from then... Haha

But my slightly pessimistic self feels that may be the case.

At least we are not suffering the zonal Atlantic drool bringing in bands of rain and mild air day after day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Moderate rain here near Chelmsford.

I have to say I wasn't expecting it, thinking that all would have cleared for today here by 8(ish) this morning.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

528 dam line returns from the NW this evening and we pretty much stay sub 528 until Thursday afternoon. Though today and the weekend the only mild blips in a generally chilly/cold theme. Though widespread snow still looking elusive atm, other than some wintry showers clipping Norfolk/Suffolk on Wednesday.

Edited by Nick F

Posted

Just seen the latest news24 forecast with Louise Lear, she went out to Wednesday.

Only yesterday on countryfile was our region looking promising for snow on Wednesday with snow graphics covering much of the region.

Now Louise shows rain and no mention of snow. Remarkable.

So even a TV forecast can change at a minutes notice, can you imagine what a model chart at +144 can do. One thing I have learnt - absolutely pointless looking at charts anything past +96

Guest archiesmummy

Just seen the latest news24 forecast with Louise Lear, she went out to Wednesday.

E

Only yesterday on countryfile weas our region looking promising for snow on Wednesday with snow graphics covering much of the region.

Now Louise shows rain and no mention of snow. Remarkable.

So even a TV forecast can change at a minutes notice, can you imagine what a model chart at +144 can do. One thing I have learnt - absolutely pointless looking at charts anything past +96

+48 when it comes to snow lol! So miserable today but it will be getting colder and is only the third day of winter!

Suns out now!

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted

+48 when it comes to snow lol! So miserable today but it will be getting colder and is only the third day of winter!

Yes your right, jeez I'm sounding a bit of a Scrooge this morning arnt I.

Monday/ rain/ grey skies has never been a great combination for me... Haha

Will feel more festive weather wise tomorrow and it will be Tuesday not Monday :-)

Posted

Yes your right, jeez I'm sounding a bit of a Scrooge this morning arnt I.

Monday/ rain/ grey skies has never been a great combination for me... Haha

Will feel more festive weather wise tomorrow and it will be Tuesday not Monday :-)

Indeed! Fingers crossed we are in for a dry summer eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Not sure why there is so much negativity around? Looking at the last 2 runs on the GFS we have 1 northerly followed by 2 x NE on the backs of these lows forecast to approach from the NW. That's 3 cold shots within 1 week. And NE winds are what we need in the SE for snow. Alright so FI is around 72 hours IMO right now but surely these charts a mouth watering for the coldies? Add to this some potential windstorms as well and this is a weather watcher's wet dream right now!

Posted

Moderate rain here near Chelmsford.

I have to say I wasn't expecting it, thinking that all would have cleared for today here by 8(ish) this morning.

It's not long cleared here Steve.... just starting to see some patches of blue sky and it's light at last good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm not sure there is that much negativity here myself? :)

Personally I fully expect to see a decent covering of snow in the next fortnight where I live and have never felt more confident. I was never remotely convinced by the postings saying snow in November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

hi everyone

I saw a moon ring on Friday night - never seen one before, are they common?

Unfortunately, camera phone couldn't capture it - i needed a proper camera. But here's a piccy from the net for anyone who doesn't know what i'm talking about.

post-15445-0-64157500-1354536394_thumb.j

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_ring

And there is no need for concern about our lack of snow.....it's early december and things really couldn't look much better. Just a little patience needed smile.png

I am sure it wont be long until this thread is full of snow risk maps, followed by pages and pages of snow reports smile.png

Posted

Not sure why there is so much negativity around? Looking at the last 2 runs on the GFS we have 1 northerly followed by 2 x NE on the backs of these lows forecast to approach from the NW. That's 3 cold shots within 1 week. And NE winds are what we need in the SE for snow. Alright so FI is around 72 hours IMO right now but surely these charts a mouth watering for the coldies? Add to this some potential windstorms as well and this is a weather watcher's wet dream right now!

Hi Azores,

I'm not sure it's negativity more so frustration.

2 weeks ago we were forecast to be in an Easterly by now. All the signals are in place but we never seem to actually have the reality of them. Over on the MOD thread there are now posts for charts 8/9 days away AGAIN.. Haven't we been here before?

Yes a good few shots of cold this week but in all honesty no Snow in the forecast apart from coastal fringes of our region. Even the BBC have backtracked from possible light snow for Wednesday.

I guess my expectations have been a little to high, 10 days ago according to members of net weather and the models, the SE should have been experiencing some snowy weather by now - be it nothing remarkable. But we are not. So 10/14 days on everything has now been shunted back into FI and I'm looking out of my window at 10c with rain around.

Edited by Dexter29

Posted

I'm not sure there is that much negativity here myself? smile.png

I don't think there is much negativity in here Steve but then I haven't been elsewhere to check what the mood is like....I'm actually feeling quite positive, I think we could have a few surprises even this side of Chringlemas, winter has only just begun so how anyone can write it off at this stage I don't know rolleyes.gif

And there is no need for concern about our lack of snow.....it's early december and things really couldn't look much better. Just a little patience needed smile.png

I am sure it wont be long until this thread is full of snow risk maps, followed by pages and pages of snow reports smile.png

Totally agree with you SS....there might even be some pictures of the crazy gang playing in the snow in MK next Saturday, you just never know smile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Couldn't agree more MK - anything we get before Christmas is a major bonus! Admittedly I'm a glass-half-full type person but I do think some people have to rein in their expectations somewhat. It will come eventually - and what better way of cheering up a miserable January than a big snowfall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Couldn't agree more MK - anything we get before Christmas is a major bonus!

i'm very much hoping for something on xmas day.....for the first time ever i put a bet on a white xmas few weeks ago! i did 20 for london and 20 for manchester. fingers crossed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

hi everyone

I saw a moon ring on Friday night - never seen one before, are they common?

Unfortunately, camera phone couldn't capture it - i needed a proper camera. But here's a piccy from the net for anyone who doesn't know what i'm talking about.

post-15445-0-64157500-1354536394_thumb.j

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_ring

If there is enough moisture in the atmosphere then the moon light will reflect off of it, it happens quite a lot.