Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North of England Regional Discussion - 05/12/2012

kold weather

Posted

Snowed heavily in Bury for about 1/2 hour and everything was white, now it has stopped and looking at the radar there is a gap before another big bit arrives. Having spoken to Husband at home in Bacup there is a good covering and it continues to snow.

Posted

Rain here now , and Rain next week no doubt whilst the rest of the country is snowbound under 10ft driftssorry.gif

Not sure we will get rain, if its as cold as is being modelled....more likely the precip just wont reach us.....(that opinion comes from experince rather than any understanding of the models)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

had moderate snow for a while now just odd flakes now smile.png

is that meant to be it now ?

no that was a little segment which is a bit infront of the main front!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Err dry here still after that shower where is that front, I got up at 6 AM and i'm still weighting. it'll probably be rain I know but yeah so what, it's a joke now;

we can't even get the prec

ip let alone snow!

ramp over.

Posted

no that was a little segment which is a bit infront of the main front!!

ok cheers

Posted

Snowing here and sticking.

hey mate, enjoy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Im not liking the extended ensembles this morning on the ECM and GEFS, they are OK up until low res begins on the GEFS and up until about day 9 or 10 on the ECM, they are not tragic by any means but you can see why the MO have doubts about the longjevity of next weeks cold snap.

I dont think much of that snow shower, rubbish, its stopping now.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Just started in Upper Longwood, Huddersfield. Not sure of temp but snow/frost from yesterday not melting (car thermometer said 1-1.5 earlier)> I'm 194M ASL. Lets see if it stays like this ...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Rain

Posted

Aside from the snow has anyone seen just how much rain there is out west, especially across Ireland which is due to cross the north overnight. That looks to be mentionable itself aside from the snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Im not liking the extended ensembles this morning on the ECM and GEFS, they are OK up until low res begins on the GEFS and up until about day 9 or 10 on the ECM, they are not tragic by any means but you can see why the MO have doubts about the longjevity of next weeks cold snap.

I dont think much of that snow shower, rubbish, its stopping now.

I wouldn't worry about much after T+120 in the models, if indeed that far ahead....it is the trends that are of interest......and they remain on the colder side in general....

Posted

Still very light snow with the odd flakes blowing around. Nothing on radar so presume it's coming from the high cloud.

wind getting gusty and the chill is bone chilling!!

Temp 0.5C - Dew point -3.7.

PPN taking a bit longer to get here than i thought.

Posted

Aside from the snow has anyone seen just how much rain there is out west, especially across Ireland which is due to cross the north overnight. That looks to be mentionable itself aside from the snowfall.

wow yeah its a fair old clump, cant see it lasting as snow here for that long really but nice all the same

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Reasonably heavy here now, (I think - hard to tell as wind's gusting to 35 mph so snow is blowing horizontal). Temp fallen back to 0.9C, DP -2.6C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just started in Upper Longwood, Huddersfield. Not sure of temp but snow/frost from yesterday not melting (car thermometer said 1-1.5 earlier)> I'm 194M ASL. Lets see if it stays like this ...!

Hey btc, I'm working in meltham today and its started here!! Small flakes but really blowing about in the wind. Fingers crossed ehy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Rain here now very light! Snow was short lived!

Yes, this is going to be a non event now by the looks of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've put in a post in the model output thread detailing my thoughts (it's the closest to a ramp that I've come so far). In brief, I expect some sort of easterly or north-easterly to come off between 10 and 16 December, though with 850hPa temperature and showery activity amounts still prone to changes either way (we could get anything from a slightly warmer version of late Nov/early Dec 2010 to a fairly cloudy ESE'ly with light flurries).

Then I expect low pressure systems to start attacking from the SW, pushing us into a less cold SE'ly pattern with some frontal snowfalls initially followed by milder weather, though temperatures are likely to remain rather below average until at least the 19th, I reckon.

After that, I think the milder weather will probably be temporary as highest pressure will be in the process of retrogressing to Greenland and this may set us up for northerlies as we approach the Christmas period- the only major barrier that I can see to this is if low pressure becomes slow-moving in the eastern North Atlantic.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers