Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Northern Lincs Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted

Excellent GFS12Z and UKMO12z so far this afternoon, with lots of snow for many in the coming days. Lets hope the ECM also shows something similar a bit later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

heavy snow for Monday clapping.gif

199fc687cb3e4fbca48d878.png

GFS continues to upgrade the snow for this region! clapping.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

I know the main focus seems to be Monday now, but what do you all think our chances are over the weekend? On the East coast we normally do pretty well, in these set ups, (I think I am correct).

Met have warning as far inland as Wetherby for Saturday and as far inland as Halifax on Sunday - then a massive warning for Monday.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It has me under the warning for snow showers sunday, but I'm not expecting a thing.

Doubt they will penetrate inland any further west than york. Still these things can change at short notice so might be wrong.

my first post.just bought a 4x4 bring on the snow

Posted

Looking like an interesting spell of weather coming up. Not quite sure about coastal marginality over the weekend. -7/-8 uppers should support snowfall with all other key ingredients in place however forecasts on the BBC and MO website show rain or sleet down the coast even on Sunday when the real cold has dug in. Can anyone shed any light?

It then gets very interesting on Monday with what looks to be an all snow event for our region.

Posted

Just thought I'd post this that I've posted in the model thread. (Those in the east of our region no need to take any notice as you won't be affected lol.) As I think the exact wind direction on monday could play a role.

''My one and only concern in a set-up like this is, if there is too much of an influence from the irish sea (moisture or a bit of wind coming from there) things can quickly become marginal and like in the 2010 cold spell I've known it rain at -1C when snow was forecast for all levels ohmy.png .

I think for those of us in the west or very central wanting all snow, it is quite important that the wind is coming across the land (from the north), as the air will not have been modified by that pesky irish sea. Any north westerly/westerly element could make things a little dicey.''

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Maybe this event will be similar to 4 Feb 2012? I recall there being freezing rain for areas close to western coasts, but we had a SEly wind and got plastered. The difference this time, and it's a big difference, is that colder uppers will encroach, stopping a thaw from taking place, unlike 4 Feb 2012. Highs will remain at or below freezing too.

GUtmM.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

What's people's thoughts on Sprunehorpe north lincs getting hit by the snow?

Looking t several reports there is a chance on Thursday for a second battering of snow for certain part of the country!! Hope the old pell is more than just the weekend and last till at least the end of the month if not till end of feb ;)

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Sprunehorpe should be s c u n t h o r p e !

Haha it will not allow it!!!!

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Love the pics. 2010 was amazing. Anything half as good as that this next week and I will be a very happy lad lol

Posted

Sprunehorpe should be s c u n t h o r p e !

Haha it will not allow it!!!!

Yup, Sc unthorpe is so bad, even internet forums will not allow it. wink.png

Jokes aside, welcome to the forum - Lincs in general looking very good on the snow front on Monday.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Love the pics. 2010 was amazing. Anything half as good as that this next week and I will be a very happy lad lol

Your damn right it was. The snow depth was truly amazing and stuck around for weeks.Hopefully we'll get a good covering of snow in the coming days.

Posted

GFS is showing another snow event not long after the one on Monday (if it comes to fruition that is).

gfs-2-96.png?12

gfs-2-102.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

more upgrades from METO Monday and Tuesday for my area..yaaaay more more more please lol :)

Posted

Maybe this event will be similar to 4 Feb 2012? I recall there being freezing rain for areas close to western coasts, but we had a SEly wind and got plastered. The difference this time, and it's a big difference, is that colder uppers will encroach, stopping a thaw from taking place, unlike 4 Feb 2012. Highs will remain at or below freezing too.

GUtmM.png

That was a one off Aaron last year. Decent snow of 2- 3" and lasted til Sunday evening ie. the day after. Although not after a good sledging on that morning.

This set up is way different.

Firstly decent few days of cold leading to lower ground temps.

Secondly you may catch a few light snow showers Sat / Sun as even a easterly sets in.

Thirdly. If the trajectory does go NW-SE on Monday then we're in for a decent pasting to be followed by freezing temps not thawing temps and possible top ups afterwards.

I love snow but hate predicting it. I always find when forecast we get little. When not forecast we get some.

Exciting times. Radar watch, lamppost watch and enjoy....biggrin.png

Edited by NW Leeds Russ

Posted

The snow here lasted for about a week after, but it was patchy. Definitely looking better this time around.

Yeah, I've noticed that we often get really heavy snow when the Met either forecast none or forecast the biggest falls for higher ground. Feb 2011 springs to mind.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Oh yes. Well my ten days off finishes Sunday and I'm looking forward to going to work and having a play in the 4x4 lol love been out in the snow. BIG kid!!!!

Posted

And the snow is still there on the 18z, and look slightly better than before!

gfs-2-66.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Great output regarding snowfall currently. Snow showers Sat/Sun, then a band of snow moving NW/SE on Monday followed by a second easterly snow shower set up on Tuesday. ABOUT BLOODY TIME! tease.gif