Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and Northern Lincs Regional Thread

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms

don't want to hear abut "darn sarf" lol, just want to know about Yorkshire, but its all open for changes, I have learnt that the hard disappointing way lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Well, judging by the lack of activity on here, we'll probably end up with the odd snow shower here on the edges of West Yorkshire, if anything at all. Still at least it'll be cold! :-)

Posted

im thinking the same tbh. just hoping for a shift north, but knowing my luck it will shift further south, just to add to frustration lol

Posted

Theres a reasonable chance of snow showers as soon as Saturday evening. Its not the strongest of flows so its difficult to say how far inland they will get, but theres a good chance many areas in the east will wake up to a covering on the Sunday morning (perhaps not right at the coast until later).

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS for me says sub-zero maxima from Monday and snow from Tuesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Checked on the Netweather forecast and it has high chances of snow/precipitation all day on Saturday for my location, but the Metoffice showing absolutely nothing until Sunday - why the disagreement? Sorry if its a daft question!

Posted

Checked on the Netweather forecast and it has high chances of snow/precipitation all day on Saturday for my location, but the Metoffice showing absolutely nothing until Sunday - why the disagreement? Sorry if its a daft question!

Simply different forecast models used mate. I think the Met Office use there own UKMO data and Netweather use data from the GFS.

Meto update for Sunday

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Mainly cloudy with patchy light rain at times on Friday, perhaps wintry over hills. Further showers on Saturday and turning increasingly cold. Snow showers and cold northeasterly winds on Sunday.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Snowday, saw your post in the Model Thread, being as you are situated pretty near by my area, I'll chew the fat with you. Obviously this is an assumption (because snow will pretty much boil down to now-casting and lamp post watching) but with the band off Precipitation heading in on Saturday, we are likely to be on the Northern most edge of it and may only see a light snow shower before the band moves east and south eastward.

We are going to need to see this band moved further north on the initial approach or we may not even catch a flake. After the weekend we will then need a pretty damn strong easterly flow to push any precip well inland over the pennines. A strong flow usually gets us a shot at streamer which does just that. Otherwise for the most part it will be bitter but fairly dry.

Other than that, I'm not sure how your area does in a North Easterly or Northerly flow but Oldham tends to do poor.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

First air frost of the year this morning with a low of -0.1c. Hoping for some snow this weekend

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

First air frost of the year this morning with a low of -0.1c. Hoping for some snow this weekend

Yes, feeling much more seasonal today.

The NAE should start picking up on any snow potential for our region at the weekend from tonight into tomorrow, although even at the 48 hour range nothing will be set in stone.

I have a feeling the main 'snow' band may miss us to the South and we will be reliant on showers pushing in from the East coast, but as the forecast uppers seem quite potent, we could see some hefty convection kicking off later on Saturday and into Sunday as per the latest METO update for the Yorkshire region.

Potentially exciting times ahead....

Posted

Evening All, well the excitement is kicking off in model forum :) good to see it all coming together but can someone sum it up for us folk here in yorkshire and which regions are expected to see anything please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Not liking the look of these charts at all - they portray cold, but any major snowfall within the reliable time frame is confined to southern areas (again). We can only hope that there is a northwards adjustment, or the North Sea peps up and delivers a rash of snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

wow, the look north forecast was very uninspiring, maybe a bit of sleet but nothing to get excited about.

Yes I was surprised at the underwhelming forecast from Paul Hudson tonight. 'A few wintry showers near the East coast but nothing to get too excited about' was his quote (or something similar) for this weekend.

I think we will see an upgrade from the METO in the next 24 hours for the end of the weekend and early next week given the output from the 12z suite for our region.

The GFS 12z run is presently the least cold option, but as you can see from this data (for Church Fenton) based on that very run, the 850s (upper air temperature) are still conducive to snowfall (generally accepted to be -5 and below) between Friday night and Tuesday night so not bad at all;

http://wxweb.meteost...shtml?text=EGXG

Based on the remainder of the output, the real cold looks set to hit on Saturday, and whilst initially mainly dry, the outlook only looks like getting snowier from the East into early next week (unless we see a major turnaround in the current trend).

Time will tell!

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

fingers and toes crossed, for lots of upgrades for Yorkshire :)

Posted

I think Paul is playing it Down after what he quoted on the failed cold spell in December

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Everything crossed for north lincs as well. Another 2010 please;)

Posted

GFS suggests snow showers won't make it this far inland and pressure becomes too high early in the weak (near 1030mb).

Lovely and sunny but not the snowmaggedon we all dream for at least initially at this stage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Cold, clear and frosty this morning but cloud is increasing from the West, coldest temp of the year so far at -1.3c.

Posted

well going off the METO forecast, we all miss out entirely for the weekend regarding the white stuff, *sighs* i think i want summer to hurry up now lol had enough of chasing snow that never arrives :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Had a low of -0.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

I don't know what the heck to expect regarding snow for the weekend! Some models have it up as far as Manchester on Sat then on Sun coming from the east over Lincs towards the Peak District. Then other models have it Sat sinking further south like a wet dog who did something naughty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Snow showers feeding in Sunday off the North sea, more general frontal snow from the north Monday.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=0&ech=72&carte=1594

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=102&mode=2 Then its up for grabs but i see it getting more wintry

Posted

I'm off to dalby forest with the camera on Sunday. Should be a nice covering up there :-)