Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yuk, yuk, yuk, what a bleeding horrible day!

Can't help but think though.....when that historical ECM run came through last week, it portrayed this lot as hitting the block coming from the East, imagine if this was snow!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Back to reality this morning. Dark, dank, wet, miserable, mild and windy.. Welcome to the real world of a standard British winter day for the UK. 6.8C currently with 5.2mm of rain already on the gauge.

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/page8.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Second band of rain passing through here. Some very heavy bursts in this one after what was already quite a wet and windy night. Flooding on the line AGAIN between Newton Abbot and Exeter St Davids.

Id expect more flooding here when this next band of rain currently here in west Cornwall reaches Devon.

Ive got to get home tomorrow! Hope its alright by then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Second band of rain passing through here. Some very heavy bursts in this one after what was already quite a wet and windy night. Flooding on the line AGAIN between Newton Abbot and Exeter St Davids.

Id expect more flooding here when this next band of rain currently here in west Cornwall reaches Devon.

Ive got to get home tomorrow! Hope its alright by then!

The flooding on the line between Newton Abbott & Exeter isn't so much to do with the rainfall but more so because the high tide and winds combined have caused the sea to breach the sea wall at Dawlish and flood the railway line.

Once the tide recedes & the winds die down, the line should reopen hopefully subject to a successful infrastructure assessment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Lots of flooding near me. (Picture from the local paper). Hoping it doesn't get any worse for the people living near by.

post-16456-0-59461200-1355483738_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The flooding on the line between Newton Abbott & Exeter isn't so much to do with the rainfall but more so because the high tide and winds combined have caused the sea to breach the sea wall at Dawlish and flood the railway line.

Once the tide recedes & the winds die down, the line should reopen hopefully subject to a successful infrastructure assessment.

Fair enough, that stretch on the Dawlish/Exmouth coast is very exposed, but with quite strong winds over the couple of days, with the next high tides, can we expect more flooding?

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I understand the warnings out for rain but the local forecasts yesterday evening have got it wrong for here. The precips models overestimated it as today's runs have toned down totals by a huge amount.

Posted

Fair enough, that stretch on the Dawlish/Exmouth coast is very exposed, but with quite strong winds over the couple of days, with the next high tides, can we expect more flooding?

Probably. The line from Starcross to Teignmouth always has issues when stormy weather sets in. The sea frequently breaches the sea wall this time of year.

Makes you wonder why they haven't pushed on with a secondary line through inland Devon, via Okehampton way. Would be far less prone to adverse weather conditions then.

Posted

Probably. The line from Starcross to Teignmouth always has issues when stormy weather sets in. The sea frequently breaches the sea wall this time of year.

Makes you wonder why they haven't pushed on with a secondary line through inland Devon, via Okehampton way. Would be far less prone to adverse weather conditions then.

Indeed, Im also hoping this heavy rain doesnt cause further landslips though hopefully things dried out a bit over the last 2 weeks or so though this rain is quickly going to undo any of that.

As beautiful the Dawlish coast is on the train...on a sunny day, I really am beginning to realise how vulnerable and prone that section of the line is and as you say the secondary line via Okehampton would be much better.

Absolutely lashing it down here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Lots of flooding near me. (Picture from the local paper). Hoping it doesn't get any worse for the people living near by.

Yes, i have just been out for a drive into Christchurch and the roads are very bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ok, it's probably me, but I'm trying to download the met office app from the Apple App Store... If I search for Met Office, it doesn't come up? Can anyone tell me what it's called? Thanks... Tried other searches but no luck either!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Khodds, Best one i find is MetogroupHD app, amazing!!! Give it a try and you`ll be amazed by the wealth of info on it.If anyone else has it they`ll know what i`m on about.

I`ll post some screenshots of it for you later.

Edited by offerman

Posted

Khodds, Best one i find is MetogroupHD app, amazing!!! Give it a try and you`ll be amazed by the wealth of info on it.If anyone else has it they`ll know what i`m on about.

I`ll post some screenshots of it for you later.

Is that available on Android , an Apple , and Android App could be a future project for Netweather .

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Thanks offerman. I found the met office one now, by chance, but can't see the one you mentioned? Is it for android or iPhone?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

What a grim wet day we have today! Lets hope the model output continues to show positive signs of change for the xmas period. good.gif

Posted

A good drop of rain so far 15.3mm

Wind has dropped, as the pressure still falls

Pressure change (last 6 hours) -10.8 mb

Temp peaked at 10C, briefly!

A sustained 20mph gusting 44mph

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I made a prediction on Facebook (and maybe on here but not sure) that the 9.3c max on Monday 3rd would be December's top temp based on what as

being projected by the models.

As of 12.30pm today that still stands, but it's currently 9.0c so under severe pressure! My main hope is that the cold ground temp can help keep it down,

however with plenty of sun and a SW flow over the weekend I'm not holding my breath.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and storms

Ok, it's probably me, but I'm trying to download the met office app from the Apple App Store... If I search for Met Office, it doesn't come up? Can anyone tell me what it's called? Thanks... Tried other searches but no luck either!

Edited by teeno

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and storms

Hi there when you are in the App Store if you look under the weather category the Met Office should be at the top of the list under free Apps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Grey day..Lots of downpours.Barometer on stormy.*.8c and dropping...

Posted

Torrential downpour in Falmouth town about an hour ago. Really big convective drops. :)

Posted

Rain turning heavy now. Surface water evident. Temperature only 8.2c though, thought it would be higher than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some very heavy if not torrential rain moving up through somerset & dorset towards wilts, very bright echoes on radar, this has the potential for some flash flooding considering saturated fields etc etc