Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

It's gone quite cold here again now. Just wearing a T-shirt and a coat but the temperature has definetly dropped here.

At school picking up the kid so can't check officially.

Posted

Some very heavy if not torrential rain moving up through somerset & dorset towards wilts, very bright echoes on radar, this has the potential for some flash flooding considering saturated fields etc etc

If you get in the Swindon area like what's happened in Warminster then you're in for a very rough half hour or so, it was worse and longer lasting than the most recent squall lines!

Posted

Temperature has dropped quite rapidly over the last hour or so.

Now 6.9c

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

If you get in the Swindon area like what's happened in Warminster then you're in for a very rough half hour or so, it was worse and longer lasting than the most recent squall lines!

We've got it now Andy, just in time for picking the kids up from school....and, we've just got back home and the school is flooded!...literally rivers of water running down the roads and banks, rainfall of tropical intensity!

Posted

Looks like a cloudy, dull but relatively mild weekend coming up with most of the shower activity restricted to coasts;

post-12721-0-55044400-1355499544_thumb.jpost-12721-0-58841700-1355499552_thumb.j

Although some pleasent sunshine could break up the cloud in Hampshire, Dorset & South Somerset later on Sunday;

post-12721-0-87204100-1355499615_thumb.j

Posted

Just had to walk home, and it ws torrential in Swindon. 12mm so far, most in the last 45 mins alone. There has also been a 20mb pressure drop in the last 10 hours!

Yes, I've been watching an intense PPN echo on the radar for the past couple of hours; initially it was heading NNE, but as it reached the M4, it started heading more ENE. Looking at the cloud direction at the moment, this is backed up. Earlier the flow seemed to be almost direct S, now it's WSW, so the main system appears to have changed course somewhat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Not sure what totals we have had here in Frome but we had a continued deluge this afternoon. Torrential rain and when i checked the radar there were 2 bands of bright blue echos that passed over us. Will be interesting to see the wettest place today but hope the recent flood victims didn`t get to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

evening all.

anybody who lives in and around frome, iron mill lane, coal ash lane are flooded, very deep in places

fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Not too bad today, but river did rise quickly, Wind dropped now and dry evening, Hope Frome area water subsided,,,,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Don't think I've seen a chart like this very often: http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn3361.png

A generally unfavourable appearance to the north but with a favourable wind direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and storms

We have just had a heavy hail shower down here. The local quay flooded with the rain earlier to day.

Edited by teeno

Posted

Lots of local flooding in the area, from Swanage through to Christchurch, no surprise really pressure sure did drop, which is the main cause of the flooding around here.

The local paper has a collection of images here http://www.bournemou...ovember_floods/

It's pity that they are NOT clever enough to figure the month is December and NOT November, doh!mega_shok.gif

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Boring sort of weather here today.........a bit of rain, a bit of wind, mildish. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Haven't checked the rain guage yet but don't think we had a huge amount, however, the roads were bad going to my parents earlier. Stars however looked AMAZING. You forget what a little bit of light pollution does. I want to move back home!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

After a morning of torrential rain and gusty winds, the afternoon has been mild with some sunny skies and convective skies and one torrential downpour around 1.30pm. This is my last day here in beautiful Falmouth until a months time. Its been a most enjoyable Autumn here, even better when you can get outside and its still pretty mild when elsewhere is rock solid frozen! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Morning all, there is going to be some major wrist slashing on the model thread today. Heights are forecast to rise over Europe by Xmas which could spell disaster, but, will it actually happen?? This would require the block to retreat and decay which is not really supported by other factors, i.e. warming strat, displaced PV ect not to say it can't happen but less likely at the mo given the current circumstances.

As i always say patience is required, we will have to suffer this mild much prob for at least another 10 days!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

I know.. Its soooo quiet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Blimey only 7.9c just up the road from Sungirl but it could reach the dizzy heights of a double-figure celcius Maximum for me too. I pray, that this particular scenario isn't the ongoing trend for a number of weeks. In reality, of course it won't be, just don't mention the S word for a while because if you do, it might get scared off for a long time to come. Regarding the Stratospheric references mentioned in a previous post, I don't have enough knowledge about such topics but I do know that there is a lag effect for said events to filter through to us on the ground and even then we could dodge the bullet and land on the wrong side for cold synoptics. I believe AWD lurks in there from time to time and maybe able to guide us in the right direction. good.gif

For now, in spite of it being relatively mild, it is a nice sunny dry day where I am currently, so we can but be grateful for that.

Incidentally, there is word of FI still being around next Tuesday, so it seems my post from a couple of days ago proves we're not much further forward yet in knowing what the period from the 20th to the 25th will be.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Blimey only 7.9c just up the road from Sungirl but it could reach the dizzy heights of a double-figure celcius Maximum for me too. I pray, that this particular scenario isn't the ongoing trend for a number of weeks. In reality, of course it won't be, just don't mention the S word for a while because if you do, it might get scared off for a long time to come. Regarding the Stratospheric references mentioned in a previous post, I don't have enough knowledge about such topics but I do know that there is a lag effect for said events to filter through to us on the ground and even then we could dodge the bullet and land on the wrong side for cold synoptics. I believe AWD lurks in there from time to time and maybe able to guide us in the right direction. good.gif

For now, in spite of it being relatively mild, it is a nice sunny dry day where I am currently, so we can but be grateful for that.

Incidentally, there is word of FI still being around next Tuesday, so it seems my post from a couple of days ago proves we're not much further forward yet in knowing what the period from the 20th to the 25th will be.

With the warming stratoshere for example we have better odds for blocking than with out it but as you quite rightly say it's not a foregone conclusion that cold will result and there is a time lag of 4-6 weeks for the effects to reach the ground. The split PV is often good for helping the blocking to occur. So all in all imo we are on the right side of 50% for wintery weather to return in the next few weeks.

Posted

The next few days actually look relatively dry & mild with a fair amount of sunshine around the region.

Aside from some showers, Wednesday looks like the next day with meaningful rainfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

With the warming stratoshere for example we have better odds for blocking than with out it but as you quite rightly say it's not a foregone conclusion that cold will result and there is a time lag of 4-6 weeks for the effects to reach the ground. The split PV is often good for helping the blocking to occur. So all in all imo we are on the right side of 50% for wintery weather to return in the next few weeks.

I may be wrong here, but i was fairly sure the effects of the strat changes or an SSW would only take 20-25 days to reach us, which is more 3-4 weeks?