Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Oyf 960 just to the north that's gonna be gusty...much as I like a good storm could do with that moving a bit further away although it could dry a few places oot unless it comes with copious amounts of precipitation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Some beefy snow showers up here in Shetland this morning and snowing quite heavily at the moment, everything turning white :)

Posted

Lovely sunny day with a frost setting in after sunrise currently 1c and ice beginning to appear on the puddles.

Photo show cows at the neeps this morning with Ben Wyvis( above Hairy Celt) looking resplendant in its winter coat.post-2744-0-26391200-1356523399_thumb.jp

All in all a fantastic winters day.

Posted

Some beefy snow showers up here in Shetland this morning and snowing quite heavily at the moment, everything turning white smile.png

Good stuff! Is your webcam offline at the moment - I can't seem to get it to load. Possible ice day for you tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy cold winters & long warm summers. Some stormy weather too!

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/16899-/

Cloud pic from yesterday.

Can I upload pics straight to forum without having to add them to a gallery?

Gorgeous day here, nice to see the sun. Maybe some snow on the way for later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Cloud pic from yesterday.

Can I upload pics straight to forum without having to add them to a gallery?

Gorgeous day here, nice to see the sun. Maybe some snow on the way for later?

Nice mammatus Kelly! lol

Yes you can upload direct just click on the "more reply options" and it will give you the opportunity to upload individual images at the bottom left.

Good stuff! Is your webcam offline at the moment - I can't seem to get it to load. Possible ice day for you tomorrow?

No the cam is offline at the moment and can't do anything about it until I get home as I'm working today :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Some beefy snow showers up here in Shetland this morning and snowing quite heavily at the moment, everything turning white smile.png

-14C 850's heading your way tomorrow morning. I wonder how that will translate into surface temperatures. I would expect the snow showers to get heavier with that depth of cold.

UW30-7.GIF?26-06

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

3c here and feeling bit nippier but nowt much else happening,,,,,i will just have another celebration/quality street/hero/choccy orange

Posted

Just had 15 mins worth of lovely festive hailstones here, unfortunately they melted as soon as they hit the ground but was nice to see white stuff falling from the sky for a while.

Seasons greetings to all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Merry Christmas everybody. Hope Santa was good to you allsmiliz58.gif .

Just back from Christmas lunch through at my brother's in Edinburgh. Cool and cloudy here at 4C. max since we left yesterday morning was 4.4C so a coolish couple of days. Even a bit white from frost yesterday morning so a bit of a Seasonal feel. looks like more rain to come though in the next few days.sad.png

Posted

Fine frosty sunset and currently -1c with ground freezing up. High cloud spreading up from the south/south west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow expected tonight over high ground in Southern Scotland, what kind of heights are we talking?

Initially rain away from the highest ground, it will start to turn readily to snow as the evening progresses. Probably need about 250-300m for anywhere southeast of Edinburgh, but with a fairly complex uppers profile it could turn back and forth at even modest altitude just a bit further north and west throughout the night. I wouldn't like to call this but low ground snowfall looks most likely for central and western areas but with marginality a factor throughout, the band moving northeastwards bringing the threat of snow to inland Perthshire and Angus, perhaps as far south as Stirling and Perth. A chance of snow for higher bits of Glasgow throughout the night.

12122618_2612.gif

12122621_2612.gif

12122706_2612.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Wind and Extreme weather

Looking at the jet stream today, I've notice the stream is coming into full power again shorty, which could make this coming January a very stormy month. Lots of fronts moving in from the Atlantic. But the weather charts can change in a day, so we will wait and see. This Friday/Saturday could be fun !.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A right minger of an evening oot there tonight.. wonder if we will see any snow by midnight?

Whilst the models persist in tormenting everyone with a eurotrash high quite a Racy weekend in store, a quick glance showed all 3 of the main models having different tracks on the latest Atlantic depression, another one to keep an eye on..

Afternoon / evening Fax had this system tracking NNE over Iceland so much of the country may dodge the strongest wind this time.

post-7292-0-85356500-1356547873_thumb.gi

GFS going for a 25mb drop in central pressure in 24 hours. bomb.gif

post-7292-0-74255900-1356547989_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-94988400-1356547997_thumb.pn

Ater being dead as a dodo fir some time in Autumn the Atlantic certainly cranking up the gears to end 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=12&lat=55.91093117408907&lon=-4.433962264150942&runpara=0&type=4&ext=1

Ensembles for Glasgow show the dangers of this storm: 35mph+ sustained winds is the mean, upwards of 50mph on some runs for the Western and Northern Isles.

Front just approaching here and looks like, as expected, rain to start with. The real fun is overnight and into tomorrow, uppers widely below -5C by 12pm tomorrow so I'd expect any precipitation that's around by then to turn very readily to snow.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?x=&y=&run=12&lat=55.91093117408907&lon=-4.433962264150942&runpara=0&type=4&ext=1

Ensembles for Glasgow show the dangers of this storm: 35mph+ sustained winds is the mean, upwards of 50mph on some runs for the Western and Northern Isles.

Front just approaching here and looks like, as expected, rain to start with. The real fun is overnight and into tomorrow, uppers widely below -5C by 12pm tomorrow so I'd expect any precipitation that's around by then to turn very readily to snow.

Whats the northern extent of the band? Going by MO, it barely reaches Fife which clearly isn't the case. GSF looks like it pivots right across Scotland through tomorrow.

Posted

Whats the northern extent of the band? Going by MO, it barely reaches Fife which clearly isn't the case. GSF looks like it pivots right across Scotland through tomorrow.

I'd take some kind of mean of the NAE and NMM (ie UKMO and the GFS) which would suggest the front will make it at least as far north as the Tay this evening, probably stalling. Going by the NMM the precipitation that develops to the north on the NAE is actually a separate feature (by tomorrow midday we're into a slack northeasterly flow) which will drift southwest throughout tomorrow but then the NMM/GFS brings in the Atlantic faster than the NAE. Altogether a complex picture even with the mesoscale model output and I think the usual mix of lamping and radar/dew point watching will be even more important tonight.

Posted

Good news for the Scottish contingent... I'm down in Ayrshire for christmas and rain turned to sleet during the heavier bursts and at low altitude! Somewhere between 50-75m asl smile.png

Hope everyone has had a great christmas break smile.png

Edited by Ross B

Posted

Yet no warnings from Met office, a bit strange!!

I think this may be one that looked lighter on their own models than appears to be transpiring.

I must say that in terms of the precipitation it looks a bit like the 26th/27th December 2009 where a front from the southwest stalled and then moved back southwards, giving about a foot of snow in Perth and six inches here but relatively little on the other side of the Forth. Uppers profile then was incredibly borderline and without such deep cold embedded at the surface it would have been easily an all rain event but it was just enough for snowfall for many. However tonight the embedded cold is much less severe and the main threat will come when the colder air to the north undercuts, combined with a bit of latent cooling.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm