Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 09/01/13> The hunt for cold ?

Coast

Posted

Looks like game over at T96 I think, shortwaves a plenty and low very strong coming off eastern seaboard. Lets see where this goes....in the bin? rofl.gif

Edited by Weathizard

Posted

The GFS upstream whilst still not totally with the others holds back enough energy to clear the low ene.

This buys us some time, a decent trend at least from it.

Posted

Cold air is much further west, this is good right?

Posted

And up the eastern UK towards the Borders surely looking at that....?

Yes definatly, last couple of runs have shown an area of heavier snow moving into the edinburgh area sunday morning!

gfs-2-90.png?12

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

A definate improvement upstream on the 12z but not perfect and still not as good as the others but a step in the right direction certainly

Posted

T96 which is about where I stop, colder uppers extend across country. Compared to 6z -4 was down middle of Ireland. On 12z way off western coast of Ireland. Seems plenty of snow chances for many areas.

Edited by Hammer

Posted

Hmmm this might still be on you know, compared to the last run its much better orientated and if that SW moves S we could get a ridge into Greenland?

gfsnh-0-108.png?12

Will probably topple though. Nice NE'ly for my region though.

Edited by Weathizard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

In my experience, once the GFS has flipped wildly its often slow to come back on board (on times that its wrong), we've seen a slight improvement on the 12z run so if the UKMO and ECM continue to offer favourable outputs I don't think we need to worry. If the ECM or UKMO pick up on the current GFS pattern then I'll be concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Whilst not as good as other models, it looks better than the 06z. This was T120 on the 06z;

post-12721-0-55392600-1357747640_thumb.j

Same time, T114, on the 12z;

post-12721-0-77076700-1357747671_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the short term there is growing agreement on some sort of easterly incursion on Sunday and possibly into Monday, which may bring scattered snow showers into SE Scotland, NE England and Lincolnshire, although we may well only be looking at a window lasting between 18 and 36 hours for this before the shortwaves come down from the north-west. There may then be a frontal snow event on Monday/Tuesday as the frontal systems associated with shortwave activity push into the cold air, although the GFS is suggesting a snow-to-rain event (as opposed to this morning's ECMWF which would see rain confined to south-western Britain).

I have a feeling that the GFS is overdoing the shortwaves but that the ECMWF is underdoing them- this split quite often arises and I think some sort of middle ground is likely- how cold/snowy this will be is uncertain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

big difference here guys, not quite as good as ECM and GEM but certainly positives, i would expect the gfs to continue improving now, a big run with big improvements, phew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Ahhhh saved (slightly)

Posted

Even if it does fail later, some positive news - at t96-120 the lows in the Atlantic are much better alligned (vertical instead of diagonal on the 06z), suggests high pressure standing its ground a bit more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Looks good out to t120 to me. I don't understand a lot of the comments on here. Heights building in the right place.

Posted

Definatly a better run for the long term prospects, but crucial part coming up. The WAA o our west seems to be heading closer up the western side of greenland rather than right over us this run, so positive signs.

Rtavn1202.png

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

In the short/mid term it's an improvement on the 6z, but it's still not soothing my fears particularly - that SW is hanging around doing a lot of damage to the heights that want to build in the area.

The ECM really is the crucial run (seems like we say that every day).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A shame members just can't take a hint Pete....Even though the thread title is self explantory, certain members still have trouble understanding plain English.....nea.gif

Oh well back to the Model Output Discussion!